D&D 5E DM's Guild: What caught your eye, and why did you buy it?

Hey all,

So I thought that it would be an interesting idea to have a thread about things in the new DM's Guild that caught your eye. What items have you bought, and what about the blurb/idea/cover art made you buy it? Now, I don't mean for us to discuss reviews[/] of the product; instead, I'm curious about the steps prior to you opening the PDF contents. Reviews would be best on the actual product pages, I guess.

My thinking here is that not only will it be entertaining to see what kinds of things people are jumping at, but also it will be helpful for forum members interested in doing their own items to see what kinds of things attract buyers. Sort of the more positive version of the thread about editing mistakes in the blurbs. :)

I'll start.

So I jumped for Amber Waves of Grain, a rather poetically-titled supplement for the Goldenfields settlement in Faerun. I grabbed this for a number of reasons. The page count and price were respectably low - 16 pages and $3 - which seemed appropriate to me for the subject matter. The title was nice, which I will admit is a totally shallow motive. More usefully, I am currently running Princes of the Apocalypse, and one of my players is a cleric of Chauntea; I also intend to run future games in Waterdeep, which is nearby. So I thought that this would be a quick buy that would have some potential use in my game, without overstaying its welcome in terms of how long it took me to read and absorb the information within. Despite the emphasis put upon the map by the blurb, that didn't play a part in my decision.

How about you guys? What products are catching your eye?

BoldItalic

First Post
I downloaded Temple of the Nightbringers (it was free, so no big risk) mainly because the author announced it on twitter and partly because I was curious to see what kind of quality we might expect to see on the Guild. I gave it a review by way of a thank-you, and also for practice in writing a review.

I don't mind paying for things, but only if I can see a preview and maybe a few reviews so I know roughly what I'm getting. Reviews and scoring are going to be important, I think, not only for customers wanting value for their bucks but also for other authors to see what is received well and, conversely, what is received less well, so that they can pitch their efforts accordingly.

fjw70

Adventurer
I plan to get the AL adventures. I have been asking for these to be available for sale for a while so will pick them up when I get around to it. Other than that I am not sure what I will get.

CrusaderX

First Post
I downloaded Temple of the Nightbringers (it was free, so no big risk) mainly because the author announced it on twitter and partly because I was curious to see what kind of quality we might expect to see on the Guild. I gave it a review by way of a thank-you, and also for practice in writing a review.

I also downloaded Temple of the Nightbringers. Because you mentioned it on this thread. And because it was free. :)

So, word of mouth (and a low price) are going to be the main reasons why I would download products from the DM's Guild.

As for the product itself, I agree with the reviews. Some fairly minor editing would go a long way to improve the adventure. And I like how the reviews were very specific in the way the product could be improved. I wonder if the author will consider these criticisms, and upload a version in the near future addressing the things pointed out in the reviews.

Last edited:

Bawylie

A very OK person
It's all very new. So I'm really interested in everything.

First I'm looking at free stuff, simply bc I am curious, but I haven't yet purchased anything bc the games I'm running are full-up for now.

Once these campaigns close, I'll be looking into budgeting monthly for some DMs Guild stuff. Probably in the neighborhood of $20/month, depending on a variety of stuff.

But for now, I'm checking out who writes and designs well.

wwanno

First Post
I downloaded the adaptation of the monsters found on the "scales of war" AP.
It is the first, more will follow I hope.

pstailor

Villager
Hi, I would like to introduce my new work in dmsguild. It is an old school dungeon transcript in 5E Please take your notes on the dmsguild website:

The title is: Tomb of the Forgotten God

Please take your notes if you have any remarks.

Thank you! I check it and i found it very good, but little bit hard. I think i'll try it.

Remove ads