WhT makes a good campaign?

Greenfield

Adventurer
I think that's probable.

I've always had the theory that any good game adventure should also make a good story. If it doesn't then you did something wrong.

I've done those for more than a few campaigns, and usually shared them with the players. I think it helped us have a common vision of the adventure, to see it as an adventure.

I tried writing one for our last campaign and just couldn't do it. It just didn't make a good story, no matter how I tried. We started off chasing rats in a ruined house, and while our first adventure "episode" ended with us winning, it also ended with us being <ahem> "encouraged" to leave town because we had earned the ire of a local politician.

It's funny. There were times when I couldn't recall the name of an important NPC or place, and had to make something up. And my version became, retroactively, the official name. Even the DM who ran the original ended up using it.

In the last set of Story Times, there was a scene where a character had to drag a magic blade to an altar for destruction, and it fought every inch of the way. And that is the official version at the table.

What happened when the scene actually played out? We entered the chamber and found a canister with a flip-flop swinging lid, looking for all the world like a trash can, and a sign that said, "Deposit sword here". I kid you not.

So a well written narrative can help shape the campaign.

Remove ads