Pathfinder 1E Attacking into a spell area (glitterdust)?

Aluvial

Explorer
If your character is standing in a square, next to the a glitterdust spread, and you attack into the spell area, are you affected by the spell?

In other words, if you attack into a spell area, but are not positioned in it (are right next to it), are you affected by the spell's effect?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
tentatively, no. You were not the target of the spell - its magic! it needs a target and area.

Rules as written would say no as well too, I think.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I think that spell is instantaneous. It doesn't create any area effect. Spells that affect creatures that "touch" them after being cast say how these work specifically.
Moreover, spells that create an area effect don't interact with attacks, spells that protect creatures or similar do.

Aluvial

Explorer
I think that spell is instantaneous. It doesn't create any area effect. Spells that affect creatures that "touch" them after being cast say how these work specifically.
Moreover, spells that create an area effect don't interact with attacks, spells that protect creatures or similar do.
I think it does have a duration. 1 rd/level, in a 10' radius spread, which means it will bend around corners and such, and emanates from its grid intersection for the duration. I believe the duration also mandates the duration of the blinding affect. If it didn't last, it would be an instantaneous like fireball (also a spread).

Aluvial

Explorer
Here is the question reworded as I put it on the Paizo site.
me said:
I'm curious if a creature is affected by a spell effect, if it is standing in a square right outside of the spell effect, but is attacking another creature standing right inside of the effect.

I have a few cases to discuss.

Wall of Fire is first. It has an emanation effect. If you are adjacent to a square that is just outside of the 20' of heat, and attack someone who is in the heat, do you take damage when you "reach in" to attack them in their square?

Glitterdust is the big culprit. If you are standing right outside of the glitterdust effect, which is an ongoing area, and attack someone inside of the area you are adjacent too, do you have to save vs. blindness? If you were invisible, and attack someone adjacent to you, inside of the area of effect, do you become visible?

Grease, I would assume that if you are adjacent to a character in the Grease spell, and attack them, you are not affected by the spell effect, because logic dictates that the grease effect is a plane on the ground (2d).

Bloodmist. If you attack an adjacent creature who is currently in the red algae cloud, are you entering the cloud and have to make a save?

I could give more examples, and am most interested in an official rule on this, preferably in one of the books.

I've always played that if you are attacking into an area of a spell effect, then that spell affects you as if you were positioned within the spell. Am I wrong?

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I read the spell and it creates an area. Although, RAW mechanically your fighter doesn't "enter" the square affected. It's up to your GM if he want so say something like "the edge of your sword is affected", but I certainly will not affect the attacking creature. I like to make small things that are not RAW in order to surprise player when it seems narratively logic, like this. But YOU are not affect.
RAW: Not you or your weapon are affected.
Possible houserule: Your weapon's edge could be affected when narratively makes sense (up to GM's discretion).

Remove ads