Minsc & Boo In Ravenloft?

I'm not personally familiar with the Dungeons & Dragons comic book line from IDW, but it's relaunching in April with Dungeons & Dragons #1... and it's going to star Baldur's Gate's Minsc and his pet miniature giant space hamster, Boo. In Ravenloft. For those not familiar, Minsc is a ranger from the popular D&D video game series of the late 1990s, and is famous for the line "Go for the eyes, Boo!" Ravenloft, of course, is the setting for the upcoming D&D adventure Curse of Strahd, based on the original AD&D adventure by Tracy and Laura Hickman. An unlikely mix, you might think!

I'm not personally familiar with the Dungeons & Dragons comic book line from IDW, but it's relaunching in April with Dungeons & Dragons #1... and it's going to star Baldur's Gate's Minsc and his pet miniature giant space hamster, Boo. In Ravenloft. For those not familiar, Minsc is a ranger from the popular D&D video game series of the late 1990s, and is famous for the line "Go for the eyes, Boo!" Ravenloft, of course, is the setting for the upcoming D&D adventure Curse of Strahd, based on the original AD&D adventure by Tracy and Laura Hickman. An unlikely mix, you might think!

DnD01a.jpg

Minsc and Boo are comedic characters, whereas Ravenloft is not well-known for it's light-hearted jocularity. Comic book writer Jim Zub says that that makes for a great story. "Testing his boisterous idealism against the dreary despair inherent in the Ravenloft setting is a fun way to create both humor and dramatic tension. Add in the rest of our Baldur’s Gate adventuring crew, and a new cleric as well, and it becomes a really fun dynamic to work with."

The comic book features the heroes getting involved in a "nasty caper that involves werewolves, skeletons, vampire servants, and a troublesome relic taken from Ravenloft" before being pulled into the Realm of Terror by the mists. "From there it’s just a misty moment away from being pulled into the Realm of Terror..."Interestingly, this is also a very strong implication that Barovia is, indeed, a demiplane in its own right.

Dungeons & Dragons #1 will be available in April, and is written by Jim Zub and Nelson Daniel.

[video=youtube;X8lLruVR2zQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8lLruVR2zQ[/video]​

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Despair not! they shall inspire us by charging blindly on

and besides Minsc + Ravenloft seems highly appropriate afterall Minsc did say "I won't cry for the dead! I won't! Well, maybe a little... but I will staunch the tears with righteous fury!"

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
It'll be interesting to see how they thread the comic/horror needle. It's probably fair to say that you don't show up for Minsc & Boo if you want pathos and dread, and you don't sign up for Ravenloft if you're looking for wacky hijinks and goofy idealism, so I don't think it can do both with satisfaction. You might let one or the other dominate, or go a third route, but any of those choices are a pretty definitive choice and will definitely shape the thing.

If I was a better, I'd bet on wacky hijinks with a peppering of "Oh Crap!" moments, but maybe not!

Birmy

Adventurer
IDW's D&D comics have been very hit (the Fell's Five stuff--why did that vanish?) or miss (that virtually unreadable miniseries Greenwood wrote), but Zub's pretty solid and well within his comfort zone here. I hope they include people/places/events from the comic as game material in the back of the book, like they sometimes did with earlier D&D comics and Dynamite does with Pathfinder.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Looking forward to this!
You really can't go wrong, IMO, with Jim Zub; he also does the ongoing "Wayward" and did the "Samurai Jack" series a year or two back.

And the last ""Baldurs Gate" miniseries was quite for a D+D comic (which have been notoriously hit-or miss over the years, regardless of the publisher.)

Plus? Who doesn't love Minsc and Boo!

Remove ads

Remove ads