• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDEX 3-13 Question *SPOILERS*

The first thing about the pdf that struck me as odd was that its formatting looks rough in comparison to the other modules. So when I got to the end of the pdf, there was one part that made me confused, leading to this post.

The pdf uses the phrase "secret mission" in reference to the Order of the Gauntlet task of acquiring the tentacles. Does this count as a Secret/Special Mission with regards to faction ranking?

The pdf uses the phrase "secret mission" in reference to the Order of the Gauntlet task of acquiring the tentacles. Does this count as a Secret/Special Mission with regards to faction ranking?

No. Actual Secret Missions only occur at T2 or higher. The rewards section always to tells you to record completion of a special mission on your logsheet if you should do so.

kalani

First Post
When I ran the playtest for this, there was no secret mission included. There was however a Faction Assignment for the Order of the Gauntlet (which appears to be omitted from the final version, likely due to the editing errors that I discuss below).

Secret Missions normally use language such as the following (direct quote from a Season 3 adventure)

Zhentarim characters of rank 2 (Wolf) or higher who [redacted] each earn one additional renown point and should note the completion of a special mission on their log sheet.

The text in Writhing in the Dark instead says:

Order of the Gauntlet members earn one additional renown point for completing their secret mission and [redacted]
Given the fact that this was a faction assignment in the playtest, and doesn't use the language consistent with a secret mission (shown above), I personally think the inclusion of the word "secret" in the above quote was a typo.

With that being said, when the file was converted to the new Adventure Template used in the DMs Guild, it caused major errors and omissions which are being corrected as we speak. Alan has said that an update will be available for this adventure ASAP, but he is extremely busy and doesn't have an exact ETA.

Last edited:

tjf

Explorer
Are there intellect devourers in Rogue Thought’s interior chamber? The “Adjusting the Encounter” section says to remove 1 of them for a weak party but I can’t find mention of any of them in the text.

kalani

First Post
I have not played/read the final version in its entirety yet - so my information is based on the playtest.
The only one I remember having in the adventure is the one possessing the dead dwarf. Since said dwarf is likely to accompany the party to Rogue Thought's chamber (at which point it quickly turns on the party), there should normally be at least one in the encounter.

With that being said though, it takes an action to exit the dwarf - which means that the ID has a full turn of being vulnerable to the parties attacks before it gets to act again.

Are there intellect devourers in Rogue Thought’s interior chamber? The “Adjusting the Encounter” section says to remove 1 of them for a weak party but I can’t find mention of any of them in the text.

I can't find any in the text. That whole section seems unfinished, as the Adjusting the Encounter section is missing the settings for Very Weak and Strong.

Edit: This was from a fresh download of the PDF just now.

kalani

First Post
As I said previously - Alan is working on fixing a major editing mistake that happened when the file was transfered to the new Adventure template.

Whole sections of the text were accidentilly omitted in the process and it was not discovered during proofreading. Expect an update to this adventure sometime in the near future (ETA not available).

Steve_MND

First Post
Since said dwarf is likely to accompany the party to Rogue Thought's chamber (at which point it quickly turns on the party), there should normally be at least one in the encounter.

In the version we got from the site, it instead mentioned that the dwarf's priority goal, once awoken, is to escape the series of chambers so it can do whatever it is planning on doing out in the expanses of the Underdark. But there were so many omitted and/or contradictory bits missed in editing on that one -- an unfortunate first foray into what I assume is the DMGuild formatting -- who knows if that was the intended behavior. When I ran it, I kinda made best guesses based on the various issues and hoped for the best.

Remove ads