D&D 5E [RAVENLOFT] [5e] Death House OOC

Yavathol

Explorer
The thing about D&Ds class system is that rarely does a character development tie in with a mechanic; that's one of the reasons I like feats & multiclassing. I have in mind a non-typical barbarian, from a civilised noble house with a courtly, dextrous fighting style rather than big muscles & two handed weapons.

Thinking 2 levels of barbarian to start with, transitioning to fighter/battle master as he gets real life experience & cools down. But that requires strength 13, unless I can ignore that multiclassing requirement please IG?

Alternatively I could go straight fighter and have the rage/anger solely as RP with no mechanics, which simplifies the build but wouldn't quite feel the same.. What do y'all think?

industrygothica

Adventurer
The thing about D&Ds class system is that rarely does a character development tie in with a mechanic; that's one of the reasons I like feats & multiclassing. I have in mind a non-typical barbarian, from a civilised noble house with a courtly, dextrous fighting style rather than big muscles & two handed weapons.

Thinking 2 levels of barbarian to start with, transitioning to fighter/battle master as he gets real life experience & cools down. But that requires strength 13, unless I can ignore that multiclassing requirement please IG?

Alternatively I could go straight fighter and have the rage/anger solely as RP with no mechanics, which simplifies the build but wouldn't quite feel the same.. What do y'all think?

I can live with that, with the caveat that you incorporate the low strength score into your character background... maybe a flaw of some sort. And coming from a noble house, I'll expect Charisma to be more than dump stat.

Yavathol

Explorer
Cool, though his strength will probably be average, not low. I was thinking he would be an obnoxious bully to his inferiors, and a fawning lickspittle to his superiors:), but I guess there's a difference between charismatic & likeable.. Could give him an 11 or 12 and tone down the Blackadder traits.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Cool, though his strength will probably be average, not low. I was thinking he would be an obnoxious bully to his inferiors, and a fawning lickspittle to his superiors:), but I guess there's a difference between charismatic & likeable.. Could give him an 11 or 12 and tone down the Blackadder traits.

Whichever. I trust you'll make it work, and make it fair. :)

GlassEye

Adventurer
Hmm, interesting. I've several ideas bouncing around in my head. First to mind were a human soldier or an elven knight but they seem very, very close to Y's fighter idea. Possibly warlock or ranger. It all depends on what others want and what sort of story feels right for the character.

Yavathol

Explorer
Ok, updated first post with a draft character:) Still need to find some suitable image and check the equipment/gold remaining. Obviously open to modifying stuff as needed, especially if the background hooks in to anything that you others are thinking?

Since Strahd von Zarovich has a Germanic/Slavic sound, I've done likewise with the names I've come up with.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Two ideas currently (would build both, unless proposed material is disallowed, and then choose):

1. Halfling (dex-based) Paladin [would like to use "close quarters shooter" fighting style from underdark supplement].

2. a Mystic of some sort (gnome? human?) [I've never played a psionic character; like ever. I know current materials only go up to level 10.]

That's all I've got for now. Would any of these be verboten from out the gate? Point-buy for stats?

Fun!

Remove ads