Build-wise, what's far too common in the AL?

This thread is sorta the antithesis of RCanine's "what's rare" thread. Frankly speaking, what builds do you see a bazillion of at your tables?

Personally, I've seen so many Dragonborn Draconic Sorcerers that I've officially stopped helping any players create another one.

I know that Sorclocks are rather ubiquitous, as I have two myself, one as Dr. Strange and another that's Fighter-dipped for armor + shield and bears my name.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
- tongue-in-cheek -
There are far too many people in AL playing builds that sound like they would be fun characters, instead of fully-optimized DPR King candidate builds.
Most AL builds I've seen DO take advantage of inherent race / class synergy, so at least they've got their foot in the door.
- /tongue-in-cheek -

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
What I find far too common is a particular type of optimization I call 'one-trick' optimization. It's where someone has taken steps to be able to do one thing which bends the balance of encounters, solely because they can.

Examples include the fighter that takes a one-level dip into wizard or sorcerer solely so he can cast Shield, or the spellcaster that takes a two-level dip into fighter for Action Surge to allow multiple spells to be cast in a turn, or a two-level dip into Rogue to allow for Cunning Action.

The problem isn't so much that these characters exist, it's that they only seem to exist to do their one thing -- when their players aren't in a fight doing their trick, they check their smartphones, wander off to look at what other tables are doing, pretty much anything other than contributing to the adventure they presumably signed up for.

At least the guys who show up with the MOAR DAKA builds are willing to hang around and argue that they should be able to use Strength on an Intimidate check.

--
Pauper

- tongue-in-cheek -
There are far too many people in AL playing builds that sound like they would be fun characters, instead of fully-optimized DPR King candidate builds.
Most AL builds I've seen DO take advantage of inherent race / class synergy, so at least they've got their foot in the door.
- /tongue-in-cheek -

Even the "fun" builds can become superfluous if there are far too many present. The Dragonborn Draconic Sorcerer is a prime example of it. It's not the most optimized build, but I've seen so many of them that it's slightly annoying when I hear yet another player wanting to play one.

If you wanted an optimized Dragonborn build, Paladin would be the one. Oddly enough, I've only encountered one of them at any of my tables.

This thread isn't just about optimized builds that appear too frequently, but builds in general that you almost always end up seeing whenever you sit down at an AL table.

RulesJD

First Post
Human Variant everything.

Honestly, despite like 90% of my characters being V Human, I really wish AL would do away with them. Removing that feat at level 1 would make a HUGE difference in character diversity.

1. Warlock/Sorc
2. Paladin/Sorc(or Warlock)
3. Fighter/Barb
4. V Human PAM with Quarterstaff + Shield
5. Tempest Cleric/Sorc is getting played out

Inconnunom

Explorer
Human Variant everything.

Honestly, despite like 90% of my characters being V Human, I really wish AL would do away with them. Removing that feat at level 1 would make a HUGE difference in character diversity.

Race diversity not character diversity.

I would argue that opening up feats at level 1 makes the characters more diverse but agree that the races become less diverse.

I mean I've seen a human variant monk with mage slayer because his character hates casters and a human variant moon druid with sentinel because the guy rolled race (and feat) randomly. Both are very different play styles than vanilla.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Locally? Ranger (Hunters) and Rogue Assassins. I feel like I could drop a pin sometime and hit a Rogue (Assassin ) character. Strangely an explosion in Wild Sorcs.

Im full expecting to have a 6 player all Rogue table sooner or later.

NeverLucky

First Post
I see way too many Great Weapon Master fighters, barbarians, and paladins, as well as Sharpshooter rangers and fighters. Those feats are just too good and make their fighting styles too much better than other styles.

Byakugan

First Post
Bear-totem barbarians.

Colossus slayer archery rangers.

Devil sight/agonizing blast warlocks.

Lore bards.

Vengeance paladins.

There are several folks who are the 'theatrical' types that play pretty unoptimized things like eldritch knights or arcane tricksters, or odd multi-class combos.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases