Build-wise, what's far too common in the AL?

Anthraxus

Explorer
Even the "fun" builds can become superfluous if there are far too many present. The Dragonborn Draconic Sorcerer is a prime example of it. It's not the most optimized build, but I've seen so many of them that it's slightly annoying when I hear yet another player wanting to play one.

If you wanted an optimized Dragonborn build, Paladin would be the one. Oddly enough, I've only encountered one of them at any of my tables.

This thread isn't just about optimized builds that appear too frequently, but builds in general that you almost always end up seeing whenever you sit down at an AL table.

You guys would probably hate to see my Dragonborn Paladin/Draconic Sorcerer, then. ;) I've actually only seen one dragonborn out of 30+ PC's i've seen, and no Draconic sorcerers at all. Weird.

You guys would probably hate to see my Dragonborn Paladin/Draconic Sorcerer, then. ;) I've actually only seen one dragonborn out of 30+ PC's i've seen, and no Draconic sorcerers at all. Weird.

Yours is one that I'd be okay with, as I can already tell what your build probably is. Green Flame Blade/Booming Blade Fire Draconic Smitezilla?

That at least appeals to my munchkin side, which I can totally respect.

Anthraxus

Explorer
Yours is one that I'd be okay with, as I can already tell what your build probably is. Green Flame Blade/Booming Blade Fire Draconic Smitezilla?

There's some of that in there, I think, yeah. I'm not super-optimizing him because after this, I'm going Bard beacuse I picked up a Bard spell deck.

Roleplaying him is fun, as a Zhent faction agent who has had a change of heart, and wants to destroy the organization from within. Used to be in charge of Kobolds. ;)

Your Sorcadin sounds like someone who would have an interesting time interacting with my VHuman Fighter-dipped Sorclock. I've specced him out as a cantrip switch-hitter, using Eldritch Spammer tactics at range and GFB/BB + Mobile with a rapier when up close. Mobile is also there to offset the speed penalty for wearing heavy armor with Str 8.

Z. H. Darkstar is a lawful evil arcane knight who has ascended the ranks of both the Zhentarim (Rank 3) and the Cloaks (Rank 9) during his career. He doesn't view himself above anyone else, and is in love with someone from a rival family. However, his evil side comes from the wrath he inflicts against those who dare to harm him. His flaw is that he is a bit of a hedonist when it comes to carnal pleasure, hence why one of his retainers is his "hand"maiden...

Yeah...I think I've seen maybe two or three in the wilds of the Adventurer's League. Interestingly enough, two of them were played by kids.

I haven't seen that many multiclassed/level-dip PCs, but I've only just hit the second tier, so that might change.

Fighters, clerics (tempest and war), and paladins have been the most common for me to see at tables, by far.

Rhogar_Rarr

First Post
I see a lot of half elves--Paladins, Sorcerers' Warlocks, Bards, anything really, but especially those Charisma classes. I see a lot of Variant humans too, but at least their feat offers them some diversity/creativity, so in general I'm okay with seeing a ton of them. Plus they should be the most common race after all, right?

I also see a lot of clerics, especially life clerics. Apparently people in my area love to heal. But I've seen war and tempest a couple times too.

I've seen only one dragonborn and one Tiefling in my area--other than my own characters. I have two characters that are DB and 1 Tiefling. I like to mix things up.

Last edited:

Byakugan

First Post
There were a lot of dragonborn at the beginning of S1...then everyone realized they didnt have darkvision, and they overvalued(by a lot) the breath weapon.

Same thing happened with Genasi in S2...only 1 has darkvision...wtf?! In S1 and S2 a lot of these players rebuilt to other races because of this.

Steve_MND

First Post
There's no such thing as a bad player -- there are only players who play their characters differently than you would.

I'm pretty sure we've all known a couple people who are just objectively bad players, and that has nothing to do with their playstyle...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases