Haunted One CoS Background

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
With that being said: When creating/choosing custom traits/ideals/bonds/flaws, players should be mindful not to choose options that would be inherently disruptive to the table. For example, saying that you are intolerant of elves is one thing (as you might roleplay being irritable, and resort to eye-rolling when someone pulls some stereotypical elf behavior), but choosing an option that says "I never work with elves and kill them on sight" is inherently disruptive.

Absolutely agree. The DM can and should monitor players' role-playing choices and either recommend that the player choose less disruptive options for expressing their RP preferences or outright forbid RP choices that would undermine the game and the fun of the table as a whole.

--
Pauper

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The DM can and should monitor players' role-playing choices ...
+1more

When I took over as DM for our Tiamat group, I had to talk to one player who had a trait something like "The weak are to be stepped on by the strong". He was using it as justification to let the rest of the group get tangled up in a fight, sneak around the whole scene, and go off on solo adventures. (Of course the rest of the table was annoyed.)
He and I agreed to change that trait to "I am very keen to discover secrets." He immediately became more fun to play with because he wanted to dig into every corner / open every door / check for secret passages & chambers. He discovered the stuff in Diderious' bedroom ... and that one doorway full of rubble.

Bob_no_Oni

First Post
I was wondering when we can start using this background? Do we have to wait until the ALPG for Season 4 is release or until Curse of Strahd is released?

kalani

First Post
I would wait until the new ALPG is released as this is a season 4 BG and there is no season 4 story origin yet. Season 1-3 characters cannot use CoS material as CoS is not listed as part of the allowed rules for these story origins.

Remove ads