Yoon-Suin

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
5 out of 5 rating for Yoon-Suin

Yoon-Suin is a setting set in an area vaguely reminiscent of the Indian south-continent. However the author, David McGrogan, did not aim for "historical accuracy" at all but instead takes us on a wild ride in a dream-like landscape, where indolent slugmen rule, the sun is beaming, the jungle is deadly, ruins and gods abound, life is cheap, the mountains touch the sky and the cities are crawling with the rich, the poor, the giant insects, the fakirs, the assassins, the seekers of knowledge and pleasure. The PCs can be outsiders arriving from far away (ie fantasy Europe or somesuch) on a ship, or they can be locals: humans probably, but perhaps a bored slugman looking for thrills or a lowly crabman?

The first chapter is the journal of an explorer traveling through this land. This narrative is a pleasure to read and is instrumental in setting the tone. This is followed by character creation, a monster section (very original stuff) and then a series of chapters detailing each geographic/cultural areas. This includes the Yellow City, ruled by the slug men, and the ruins and islands surrounding it; the deadly jungles of Lahag; the river-land of Lamarakh; the isolated plains of Lower Druk Yul where the grasshoppermen live; the Hundred Kingdoms and finally the Mountains of the Moon.

Each of these areas (save perhaps Druk Yul) is suitable to set a campaign into, although I believe that the Yellow City has the most potential. Each section constitutes mostly of tables so you can stitch the area together. The author provides a lot of guidance on how to do this, as well as numerous example of locales that could be found - each of these is a seed for an encounter or even an adventure. The book also contains an extensive series of appendixes detailing poisons, tea and opium, god creation, psionics (if needed), useful insects, trade, hirelings, magical tattoos and more.

The product is available as a PDF or as a print on demand book. I got the PDF first then ordered the book. The printer (lulu.com) did a good job - nothing amazing but very usable. Shipping was also quite fast.

This is a black and white product, and so is the art. The art is *not* your typical fantasy fare. The artist (Matthew Adams) instead went for a more atmospheric style and it really works. In fact, what brought the setting to my attention was this image of a slugman - http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-15g5QqPLEp8/U-FRvOZ6bzI/AAAAAAAABxM/jkeVvTiajzU/s1600/1.png - I had to ask where it came from! My only criticism of the art is that I wish there was more of it.

I do have to say that this setting is not for everyone. It is almost system agnostic, but the monsters may need conversion to whatever system you are using, as this book is written with the OSR (D&D old-school renaissance) in mind and uses the old D&D Basic/expert system. Furthermore, the book gives you *elements* - you are supposed to assemble them using the tables (or just pick and choose) and make it yours. Each Yoon-Suin world will thus be unique. Some people will prefer something where everything is determined; if you feel like this, unfortunately this product isn't for you. If you are looking for inspiration however there is no better; personally I found it to have kicked my creativity into high gear and I will run a 5e Yellow City campaign next. The book is also extremely useful for wilderness adventures and for creating communities on the fly.

Lastly, I will say that in my 25 years of playing D&D and buying books, this is the first time I've ever felt compelled - and that is the word - to write a review about a product. Get this, you will not regret it.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases