Which adventures in the DMs guild are AL legal? (please put this in player's guide)

Scorpienne

First Post
BUT WE NEED TO STOP BLAMING PLAYERS. Players aren't in charge of designing a comprehensible rules system or organizing a storefront.

Agreed with you entirely.

I just figured making what was and wasn't AL legal in the PG was a good idea and wanted to remind the Powers That Be about it.

Never expected actual pushback on the idea.

Lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Paige

Well, once you do that, perhaps you or someone else can figure out a way to make sure that every single player/DM/Event organizer/etc actually reads the Guide before a game occurs. After all, no matter how clear the information is presented, it is useless if that information is not actually read first.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Actually, and this is only my personal opinion had my way Id make it compulsary for anyone playing or running AL to have a copy of the ALPG (the most current one) with them whenever they play AL. No ifs or buts (obviously you would excuse brand new players).

We are not rules enforcers though, but it is incredibly frustrating that people continue to do things their own way when their questions are nearly always answered in the ALPG.

DocSharpe

Explorer
Actually, and this is only my personal opinion had my way Id make it compulsary for anyone playing or running AL to have a copy of the ALPG (the most current one) with them whenever they play AL. No ifs or buts (obviously you would excuse brand new players).

We are not rules enforcers though, but it is incredibly frustrating that people continue to do things their own way when their questions are nearly always answered in the ALPG.

The challenge is that it's a PACKET of information. The reality is that very few people, especially people who already "know" the rules aren't going to read it at all. What's needed is something short and tight. The trick is that every time we start talking through what should be on a wallet size card or a bookmark sized slip, we think of 12 other things we want to tell players.

When it boils down to it, it's up to the DM. Most DMs will enforce the creation rules. But some won't...regardless of what you write down. Maybe it's because they don't care, maybe it's because they don't want to have the fight with *that* player. I ran a game at a recent con and had a player sit down with a Tier 2 warforged mystic. He tried badger his way into playing, saying he knew it wasn't normal, but his local DM "said it was okay" so everyone else was supposed to accept it. I gave him 5 minutes to make his character AL legal or to go chat with the AL coordinators at the event, and he opted to go find other games at the con. One of the other players at the table was familiar with him, and was surprised I stood my ground, since no one else had.

TBeholder

Explorer
EDIT: now that doesn't mean Kalani can fix that. Skerrit might not even be able to fix it. BUT WE NEED TO STOP BLAMING PLAYERS. Players aren't in charge of designing a comprehensible rules system or organizing a storefront.
You have a point, but it's a stick of two ends. Both of which are sticky.
On the one, "make something easy enough that even an idiot will use it and only idiots will use it". On the other - "At first, we described it as having to jump through hoops to get anywhere. Then it became jumping through hoops in a particular order in a room full of hoops, some of which are dummy hoops. Then it became jumping through hoops in a particular order, in a room full of hoops with some dummy hoops that'd reset your attempt, and the hoops were all invisible. Then: the hoops were on fire too."
In RPG it more often leans toward the latter, due to excess of militant autism. Yet there were also "20-5=??? is so-o complex" and now rumours trickle about Underdark being all conveniently illuminated in AL adventures.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases