London's Skyline 400 years ago and now

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is quite interesting. An artist engraved a view of London Bridge in 1616, and another artist has updated it for 2016 using the same style. There's a bunch more on the page, including St Paul's Cathedral across the Thames (you use the little blue slider to switch between 1616 and 2016). At the very least, the older images look great for use in a fantasy RPG!

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 11.43.43.pngScreen Shot 2016-03-04 at 11.44.01.png

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...urce=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

Ryujin

Legend
I love that sort of stuff. There's a website covering the growth of Toronto in pictures, over the last 100+ years, by comparison. Obviously we don't have near the history to compare to Londinium, but it is of academic interest.

Janx

Hero
That's cool!

I was gonna say that!

I notice there's a bit of angle shift on the modern version (granted, I doubt the old one was actually perfect precise).

I'd be curious if a computer could compute the perspective angle and a photo be take from the "same" spot as the original painting.

Janx

Hero
also, it's a darn shame they tore down the buildings on the bridge (I'm sure 4 centuries and a bridge replacement were involved in the decision). That looks cool.

What were those bridge buildings for? upper class living, or something else?

MarkB

Legend
What were those bridge buildings for? upper class living, or something else?

I don't think they'd be all that high-class. I believe the Thames would have been rather... pungent back in those days, what with the lack of actual sewer systems.

Remove ads