DM's Guild: What Do The Customers Think?

The DM's Guild has been around for a couple of months now. There have been lots of threads about it from the seller's point of view discussing all manner of aspects of the site (if you're thinking of selling there, there are tons of advice and discussion threads right here on EN World, covering things like price, art, folks sharing how much they've made, and so on). There haven't been quite so many from the customer's point of view, though. So what are your overall impressions of the DM's Guild, now you've had chance to get used to its offerings? What do you think of the products all these new publishers are offering? Are you using DM's Guild more or less than you were a month ago? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

The DM's Guild has been around for a couple of months now. There have been lots of threads about it from the seller's point of view discussing all manner of aspects of the site (if you're thinking of selling there, there are tons of advice and discussion threads right here on EN World, covering things like price, art, folks sharing how much they've made, and so on). There haven't been quite so many from the customer's point of view, though. So what are your overall impressions of the DM's Guild, now you've had chance to get used to its offerings? What do you think of the products all these new publishers are offering? Are you using DM's Guild more or less than you were a month ago? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

DMsGuildProductLogoLarge.png

smiteworks

Explorer
If you are a DM's Guild author considering PWYW, I would instead encourage you to set an actual price that you think is fair and then open up the free preview to cover the entire contents. That way, buyers know exactly what they are getting and then they can agree with you and buy it or move along. Anyone who decides to buy it then has the option to leave a review.

If you are a DM's Guild author considering PWYW, I would instead encourage you to set an actual price that you think is fair and then open up the free preview to cover the entire contents. That way, buyers know exactly what they are getting and then they can agree with you and buy it or move along. Anyone who decides to buy it then has the option to leave a review.

That's might thoughts as wekk,

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
I like the Full Preview option as a customer and as an author.

What annoys me is that when a product's info page is edited, sometimes the Full Preview option disappears.

I imagine there are authors out there who have made minor adjustments to their product page that think they have set up a Full Preview, that don't realize it has gone away.

I've been doing what I can to support the community. When I find some "Pay What You Want" content that turns out really decent, I try to go back to it and send some money their way. I like that it's a creative vent for people, but I wish the community more readily supplied constructive criticism. I've seen a lot of products that were hardly worth the download, and some that were free that I'd gladly pay money for. If there was a more active community, willing to expose these would-be creators with better feedback, the publishers would have an easier time improving their products. I want to see this community grow stronger and give rise to more amazing content. But that requires more people throwing money at it, and a better system of offering critiques.

BMaC

Adventurer
I find it very annoying that people are naming things to get to the top of the list:
!#55 Magic Item Compilation Set 1
$0 5e Ranger Revised

This kind of thing needs to be policed. It seems like Wizards set up the website and then just left.

Bera

Explorer
I find it very annoying that people are naming things to get to the top of the list:
$0 5e Ranger Revised

This kind of thing needs to be policed. It seems like Wizards set up the website and then just left.

This.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
$0 5e Ranger Revised

That's been happening on DTRPG and RPGNow for years. They've gotten it down to hashtags, parenthesis, apostrophes, and numbers now.

Giant2005

First Post
That's been happening on DTRPG and RPGNow for years. They've gotten it down to hashtags, parenthesis, apostrophes, and numbers now.

Can't they just change the default display options? If they have it as anything else but the title, it wouldn't be able to be abused.

Ampolitor

Explorer
well it's still new, I'm sure people are also out there working on things. I have already finished my map, and going over the initial details of a module I am working on. You guys are right though, art is very, very expensive, so I hand draw my maps. The module is set in the battle of Bones area, with info out of the old Elminsters Ecologies battle of bones sourcebook. I am just trying to sort out all the details and can only work on it in my free time. I'll be honest though, I would be more apt to write a lot more if they open up to other worlds like Birthright, or Planescape.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
It'll get worse when people start adding all the popular tag words to their descriptions so all the searches start pulling the same stuff.
ranger feat blood ravenloft archetype .......

The problem with some gamers is that they game things. Powergaming the DMsGuild - figure out the rules then exploit them.

Remove ads

Remove ads