Review averages - could be improved?

Chimpy

First Post
Can the method used to determine the average review score be adjusted? I say this because I think it's too easy for someone to skew a score by giving a high or low rating.

Statistically, the mean is poor figure representative figure because it is influenced too much by a small number of extreme pieces of data. Perhaps for ENWorld ratings, a median or modal value would be a better choice?

For example, take these numbers:
1, 6, 8, 8, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 10
The mean is 7.9, but the median is 9.0. The median is more representative of what most of the figures are. The mean is skewed down because of the single low number.

An alternative method might be to only take the middle, say, 90% if the scores.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't really have the ability to rewrite the software. It's just an off-the-shelf software package. Sorry! :)

I don't really have the ability to rewrite the software. It's just an off-the-shelf software package. Sorry! :)

Could the review system be screened, though? I was just going through the top rankings on The Chart ... it seems like there are an awful lot of "review" entries from posters with 0 post history and only a single review -- in other words, it looks like someone who logged in just to post a review of that product and hasn't been here before or since, and those reviews are padding the system and skewing rankings.

Chimpy

First Post
Could the review system be screened, though? I was just going through the top rankings on The Chart ... it seems like there are an awful lot of "review" entries from posters with 0 post history and only a single review -- in other words, it looks like someone who logged in just to post a review of that product and hasn't been here before or since, and those reviews are padding the system and skewing rankings.
Indeed - I was kind of getting at this.

I don't think it's feasible to allow/disallow reviews, because it's almost impossible to draw a line between a proper review and a troll. However, using a better average system than a simple mean would at least partially rectify the problem.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases