D&D 5E What are some good ways to promote DM's Guild Titles?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Those are probably two of the best options. Social media and the forum here. That's what I would do if I was releasing something there. There are other forums with promotion forums, but the one here is probably more D&D focused than most.

Gnarl45

First Post
Did you try the D&D Facebook group? It has 13,000 members so unless you manage to start a conversation about your product, your post will be flooded after 15 minutes. You could try smaller regional D&D Facebook groups (like D&D Wisconsin).

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
Is there a D&D group dedicated to Ravenloft? And/or old school message board forums for Ravenloft?

If yes, it'd be worth posting to both.

Last edited:

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
Another idea:

If your product is the type that can be expanded upon by other DMs Guild creatives (say a location that you list--like an inn or waystop--that you don't have the time or inclination to map out), then maybe drop a footnote in your product offering to insert a link where the footnote is at to somebody else's product if it:

1. Expands on yours.

2. Mentions your product and includes a link to your product's page.

All they need to do is send you a gift certificate so you can download their product once it's published to the Guild, then you can have a look. If it's good, link it up.

(I hope to do something similar as part of the bi-monthly updates for my Cormyr sourcebook.)

I'm always on the hunt for design essays and/or guest posts for Horror and Dark Fantasy material over at FlamesRising.com.

You could talk about how you were inspired to create your material, what some of your influences were, what challenges you had in the creative process and things like that. FR is specifically a Horror/Dark Fantasy site, so think about the audience. Contact page: http://www.flamesrising.com/contact/

Also, networking with other DMG creators. If you see something cool that someone else created on the site, be sure to post about it on your blog, Twitter and other social media. The more creators doing that the better. That helps spread the word about _all_ of the cool stuff not just your own. More people having fun and discovering cool titles helps everyone.

Other options:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DMGuildFanClub
https://forum.rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?9-The-Glamorous-Unrestrained-Hype-Machine

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
I blast out a quick blurb and the link to the product on Google+, specifically hitting the Communities that apply (i.e Dnd Fans, Dungeons & Dragons, Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition, and about a half dozen others, all easily discoverable on a search).

I also link to it on Twitter, and occasionally chat with or follow RPG-related content creators, publishers, and other bloggers like Sly Flourish and the like. Use #DnD and the like and eventually you'll make some connections to help blast it out for you.

Press Releases on the homepage of ENWorld.

Add it to my signature line on RPGnet (I actually just have a link to myself as an author on DMsGuild, and list the products without links, keeping it shorter and simple).

I don't use Reddit enough, but hoping to change that.

I have my own blog -- which came first and had 40-odd posts before I started doing DMsGuild stuff -- so people already look there. I often post about the product on my blog, and link to DMsGuild within that post...but I don't always send folks to my blog. See, the blog helps me post screenshots in a manner that's better than DMsGuild (sorta), but it also means people have to click twice to get to the product, which is a barrier. It's an art and not a science to know when to do this.

I then use Google Alerts to set up alerts about similar key words and titles. Whenever a pertinent conversation comes up, I take a peak. If it's relevant to drop a link to my product as a comment or whatever, I do so, but only rarely: spamming conversations is mean. You gotta engage first, drop links second (if at all).

DM Howard

Explorer
It would be cool to have a weekly "roundup" where a few quality selections from the DM's Guild are presented as a news article here.

Remove ads