Adventurers' League and the Hermit's Discovery

Ganymede81

First Post
Is there any guidance as to what the Hermit's Discovery can entail in Adventurers' League?

It is obvious that it can't include a combat bonus, but are there any other limitations or published guidance for DMs?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If the DM has pre-prepped several modules, he could have the Discovery be a plot hook or a detail about something interesting in the scenery.
Ex: One HotDQ campaign DM had his PCs' Discovery be some of the lore about the "telescope" in the Swamp Castle.
I would look up Stradh, his castle, and the Vistani; and offer some useful secret about them as the Discovery.

I'm not aware of any official published guidance, though. But several people scan this board regularly and will offer more help.

Ganymede81

First Post
For context, I was thinking about a potential discovery for my gnomish beast master ranger.

I was thinking his discovery would be the secret nature of bugs and spiders. He would know where to find hives, lairs, and burrows, would be able to use his Speak with Small Beasts ability to communicate with various creepy crawlies of any size.

It doesn't dovetail with any adventure or module per se, but it is pretty interesting and thematic.

NeverLucky

First Post
Since discoveries don't provide mechanical advantage in AL (unless your DM wants to give you advantage for suitable situations occasionally), you can make it whatever you want. You can use metagame knowledge to create discoveries that fit particular adventures/storylines e.g. "A vampire named Strahd is kidnapping people into his demiplane" or "The Cult of the Dragon is trying to summon Tiamat".

Steve_MND

First Post
Keep in mind that specific backgrounds like these are often better suited to a home campaign than an Organized-Play campaign; in a home campaign, the DM can subtly work in your Secret Knowledge/Discovery/etc. into the very plot-line itself -- not so much with a shared campaign like AL.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I'm looking at you, sailor stranded in Barovia.
There has GOT to be a lake or pond or something around here somewheres !

I wonder - would a pirate's Bad Reputation be known on the other side of the Mists? Somebody might be in for a surprise - pay for your dinner or else ...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases