Clarification on what (any race) means from a mechanical standpoint in AL?

I have a few questions regarding when a creature's stat block says humanoid (any race). For ease of replying, I'll put each question on a separate line.

What exactly am I allowed to choose from?
Are any of the PC races allowed?
Do I get to choose subraces, if applicable?
Can VHuman be selected?
What traits from the race are applied to the stat block?
For races with abilities that scale by level, how would those apply?

This came to mind while reading 4-1. For example, could I change Churley's 4 guards into a team of Genasi that represent each element? Or could I make them High Elves/VHumans/Half-elves (High Elf) to get them Booming Blade via Cantrip/Magic Initiate?

Ainulindalion

First Post
I would guess, though I don't know for sure, you could use the chart on pg 282 of the DMG, making note of the instruction at the top of that page that any change to AC, HP, Attack bonus, and/or damage could potentially change the CR of the monster and being careful to NOT do that (or do, and ignore the change as long as it isn't much).

Guidance in that chart indicates that you use CR instead of level to determine spells (or other abilities) from innate traits (though the other option would be use to total HD).

kalani

First Post
1) The adventurers league player's guide lists the available character options for each of the various story origins. You can only choose options listed for your story origin. For most story origins, this list is limited to the races in the PHB and SCAG, with the exception of winged tieflings. For Elemental Evil characters, this list could alternately be PHB + EEPC (with the exception of aarakocra).

2) See above. Most races are available, although some are restricted to specific story origins. Only winged races are expressly forbidden (although cosmetic wings are fine).

3) You should always choose a subrace for your character, as racial packages are split between race and subrace. Failing to choose a subrace means you are forgoing half of your racial abilities.

4) Yes. This is explicitly allowed

5) Everything listed in the racial description is added to your characters stat block

6) You gain the racial abilities at the indicated character levels. A drow for example, will gain the ability to cast spells at 3rd and 5th level for example. A high elf's cantrip also scales with character level (as do all cantrips)

In respect to DM adjustments to an adventure - you should only add a race to the monsters if none is provided. For example, if an adventure says that the party faces 4 Bandits, you could choose the races (and racial abilities) for those NPCs. If however, an NPC lists a specific race - you can only use that specific race..... A gnome archmage listed in an adventure is always a gnome archmage. You cannot swap them to be a high elf archmage instead.

Swapping spell lists is allowed so long as only minor changes are made. Wholesale swapping spell lists is strongly discouraged, but replacing one or two spells (of the same spell level) is perfectly fine. With that being said - any changes you make to the creatures spell list do not affect their Spellbook (if any). Only those spells specifically listed in the Spellbook are available. This matters as spellbooks are usually lootable.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I have a few questions regarding when a creature's stat block says humanoid (any race).

We kinda hashed these out back on the WotC boards back when...let's see if I can find my notes...ah! Note these are not official, and are meant as guidelines only, because there isn't any official guidance.

What exactly am I allowed to choose from?

Technically, you could use any humanoid race that is in a WotC-published rules source. As the DM, you are not limited to the player-approved rules options for character creation when applying modifications to NPCs, but you can't decide that a humanoid (any race) is actually a hill giant, because hill giants aren't of type 'humanoid'.

As a general rule, though, it's cleanest to only make choices from the approved character creation rules for the season you're running -- that ensures that your choices have the greatest relevance to the adventure at hand. If you really want to use the MM (or SRD), you should probably stick to humanoids that have roughly similar hit dice to the monster write-up you're using (if the write up has two hit dice, go hobgoblin rather than bugbear, for instance).

Are any of the PC races allowed?

Yes, if a race is available to a player as part of the Allowed Rules, you can choose that race as DM.

Do I get to choose subraces, if applicable?

Sub-race is part of the race choice, so this is also allowable. At this point, though, you should probably include this in your DM prep rather than doing it 'on the fly' at the table; otherwise you run the risk of slowing down the game.

Can VHuman be selected?

Sure, it's in the PH and approved for players, so why not you?

I probably wouldn't, though, unless I knew there was a specific feat I needed to use to balance something at the table (say, Mage-Slayer for a particularly difficult-to-crack spellcaster). Mechanically speaking, variant human is weaker than the standard human in most cases. (See the 5th and 6th paragraphs after the question.)

What traits from the race are applied to the stat block?

As many as you want. If you think an ability won't have an impact on the encounter, such as the elf Trance ability, you don't need to include it. For balance purposes, though, you should include any abilities that are actually limitations, like the halfling's Speed.

Note as well that you shouldn't change the monster write-up as a result of adding abilities, even if it would make sense to do so -- so a humanoid monster that's listed as using a shortsword that you decide is an elf should not be 'upgraded' to a longsword even though the Elf Weapon Training ability says elves are proficient with longswords.

For races with abilities that scale by level, how would those apply?

Monsters don't have levels. I wouldn't include level-dependent abilities unless there's a level specified for something in the monster description, such as spellcasting. A creature that is treated as a 5th level spellcaster can also be treated as 5th level for other abilities.

If you insist on including them, a decent rule of thumb would be to use the target level of the adventure as the level for those abilities. You might try hit dice, but that's not necessarily consistent among different monster write-ups -- for example, a bugbear has five hit dice, but doesn't have Multiattack like a 5th level melee PC would, so is it really 5th level?

This came to mind while reading 4-1. For example, could I change Churley's 4 guards into a team of Genasi that represent each element?

That would be very suitable for an adventure set during Season 2 (Elemental Evil), but not quite so 'on theme' for a Season 4 adventure. If it were a Season 3 adventure, you could make them drow elves and be on-theme. Season 1, kobolds. I don't see why you couldn't include genasi in a Season 4 adventure, but it might not have the same impact as a choice made within the context of the Curse of Strahd season, say, a were-rat. (Note that you wouldn't replace the guards' attacks with the were-rat's attacks, since the monster already has defined attacks (which means you couldn't use this as a back-door way to inflict lycanthropy on your player characters). You could include the were-rat's Keen Smell, though, if you thought it would have an impact on the encounter, say, to help them keep track of a rogue who likes to use the Hide skill a lot.)

Or could I make them High Elves/VHumans/Half-elves (High Elf) to get them Booming Blade via Cantrip/Magic Initiate?

If you're planning something like that, I'm guessing you're trying to out-munchkin your players. Good luck with that!

--
Pauper

Last edited:

Thanks for the clarification! Normally, I just treated them as standard Humans because I wasn't sure of what would get modified.

That would be very suitable for an adventure set during Season 2 (Elemental Evil), but not quite so 'on theme' for a Season 4 adventure. If it were a Season 3 adventure, you could make them drow elves and be on-theme. Season 1, kobolds. I don't see why you couldn't include genasi in a Season 4 adventure, but it might not have the same impact as a choice made within the context of the Curse of Strahd season, say, a were-rat. (Note that you wouldn't replace the guards' attacks with the were-rat's attacks, since the monster already has defined attacks (which means you couldn't use this as a back-door way to inflict lycanthropy on your player characters). You could include the were-rat's Keen Smell, though, if you thought it would have an impact on the encounter, say, to help them keep track of a rogue who likes to use the Hide skill a lot.)

The only reason that I was thinking of using Genasi is because that particular encounter happens while the party is still in Faerun. If it was in Barovia, then they'd be out of the question. Plus it would be a good way to subtly incorporate a little humor into the adventure. First player to make a Power Rangers joke gets inspiration.

If you're planning something like that, I'm guessing you're trying to out-munchkin your players. Good luck with that!

--
Pauper

I taught them too well. Need to remind them that I still have a few tricks up my sleeve. Plus, it adds to the survival tension, knowing that a simple guard may not be so simple after all. BB/GFB + an emergency Shield will make them think twice about being murderhobos.

kalani

First Post
It appears I misunderstood the initial question (and thought that the majority of the questions were relating to player choices).

In respect to a monster which says race (any humanoid), you can pick any that you have racial abilities for. In respect to most non-PC races however, it is not always clear where the line between racial abilities and monster abilities are drawn. If you choose a goblin for example, does their ability that grants them similar benefits to a rogues Cunning Action come from their race, or their training? As such, I recommend sticking to PC races, although feel free to use winged tieflings or aarakocra (as we have stats for those).

Pauper's advice is solid however. As a general rule, only focus on the things that will be relevant and have a mechanical impact on the combat, and ignore the rest. If you choose a forest gnome for example, don't worry about its "speak with small beasts" ability unless it has relevance to the combat.... The gnomes "Natural Illusionist" however should be factored in, as minor illusion has combat-applicable uses.

It is also fine to leave the race blank, and the NPC unmodified from its listed statblock..... As a general rule, that is the approach I take unless I feel the need to spice things up with a handful of variant humans for the purpose of showcasing a specific feat or two. Even in those cases, I never bother to adjust their ability scores (too much work to do on the fly), and instead simply slot in the chosen feat.

I find that if you can't make the changes on the fly and keep track of those changes in your head, you are probably overthinking things. Feel free to make more significant changes if you like, but I find that it is easy to mess yourself up with everything else that you need to focus on.....

I choose races to provide a specific effect (and only worry about that specific effect as a rule)...... I might choose "High Elf" because I feel like adding a cantrip to the creature, or "Variant Human" because I want to use "Mage Slayer" or "Charger" or any other feat (esp. feats that are rarely chosen by PCs). I might also choose Halfling because I want to take advantage of their ability to make hide checks behind allies, etc.

Take the feature that is meaningful, and take any restrictions that are equally meaningful - and ignore the rest..... Don't for example, take a Drow and ignore their sunlight sensitivity....

Last edited:

Pauper

I taught them too well. Need to remind them that I still have a few tricks up my sleeve. Plus, it adds to the survival tension, knowing that a simple guard may not be so simple after all. BB/GFB + an emergency Shield will make them think twice about being murderhobos.

Again, good luck. My experience with munchkins is that, if you beat them at their own game, they just come back with 'Murder-hobo 2: Murder-hobo Harder'.

Kalani said:
Pauper's advice is solid however.

This is going in the sig! :D

It is also fine to leave the race blank, and the NPC unmodified from its listed statblock.....

This is also true, and recommended for novice DMs and those who don't want to accidentally up the difficulty of an encounter. For example, I'm a big fan of assigning thugs the half-orc race, which gives them the ability to ignore the first hit that would drop them, gives them a small buff to their melee combat (due to the racial Strength modifier), plus gives them a nice damage boost on a crit. Against an unoptimized party, though, a group of half-orc thugs can utterly smoke them if my dice get hot.

Sounds like you've got it under control, though.

--
Pauper

"Pauper's advice is solid however." - Kalani

Pauper

One other point, more for the benefit of those reading through this discussion: I'd advise against using the eladrin and aasimar write-ups in the DMG, even though they are more detailed and 'user-friendly' than the monster write-ups in the MM. The main reason is that AL doesn't authorize the use of DMG material except where explicitly referenced in an AL resource. For example, the madness rules were authorized in Season 3 in the ALPG and in the adventures where the PCs might be affected by demon-inspired madness, but this doesn't authorize DMs to back-port madness rules and use them in, say, DDEX 1-3 when the party discovers a demonic shrine. (A secondary reason is that it will likely irritate some players if you as the DM get to play with the shiny eladrin and aasimar toys when they don't get to.)

It's possible to put together an argument that a DM could make use of those races as well as those in the PH and MM for generic 'any race' humanoids, but (again IMO) it's not really a fight that's worth having, as there's little to be gained by including them that makes up for the drawbacks noted above. Of course, if an adventure explicitly says that a given NPC is an aasimar or eladrin, by all means have fun, but in those cases I'd expect the write-up will already include the relevant abilities and no modifications would need to be made.

--
Pauper

"Pauper's advice is solid however." - Kalani

Remove ads