Why haven't aliens got in contact with us yet?

To answer why the Aliens have not contacted us...... Do scientists communicate with their lab rats?
Some probably do. And I think in general, they are not invisible entities to the rats. Rats are, as far as I know, capable of recognizing other "animals", even if they can't effectively communicate with them.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Some probably do. And I think in general, they are not invisible entities to the rats.

They certainly talk to and handle the rats, and pretty clearly the rats are cognizant of the researcher's existence. Rats can even show affection for people (which is part of why they actually make good pets).

Janx

Hero
Good question. Let's find a rat that wears a watch, and knows how to tell time, and ask it! Can probably spin that into its own research grant. :p

actually....

the core question is does a rat have a sense of time, and do they recognize time as lost?

So if you have a consistently lit room and feed the rat every 8 hours, can you set a pattern of expectation of dinner that you can detect when 8 hours has past? Let's assume a real behavioral scientist will fine tune the concept, as they have a good idea on how to test stuff like that.

Then you kidnap and drug the rat in the middle of the 8 hours, so it "loses 3 hours time".

When the rat wakes up, does he exhibit the behavior at the actual right time, or as offset by 3 hours from being unconscious?

hunger probably isn't the right tool to use, as empty tummy works as a pretty good clock, but imagine some thing like that that we can test if the rats recognize the time pattern, and then jack with it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
actually....

the core question is does a rat have a sense of time, and do they recognize time as lost?

I know. That rats may not have the same perception of time as we do was sort of implied in the "find a rat with a watch" thing. :)

DarkMum

First Post
Reads last couple of posts...
Runs off to write down story idea.

"Wanna buy a watch?" asked the man in the coat, his whiskers twitching...

On topic, I'd suspect that a rat capable of telling time from a watch would be a research project in and of itself.

Remove ads