Rogue One trailer

Ryujin

Legend
Reshoots take time to schedule. You have to get the pertinent actors and staff back, put the sets back up, etc. The reshoots were likely in the works before the critical reception of BvS was determined.

And maybe even put your stars in cheesy wigs, when the producers decide to trash half of the director's vision.

Hussar

Legend
If the main character is force sensitive, all bets of a new story are off. And as long as you stay entwine with the Empire, the Death Star, Siths, Storm Troopers, etc, "new" isn't going to accurate.

What is your definition of "new"?

From what we've seen, all the characters are new - well Mon Mothra (sp) has been around, but, she was hardly a major character, just a bit of Exposition.

It's Star Wars, thus, it's going to have the tropes of Star Wars. That's a given. But, I'm actually kind of curious what you mean by a new.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If the main character is force sensitive, all bets of a new story are off. And as long as you stay entwine with the Empire, the Death Star, Siths, Storm Troopers, etc, "new" isn't going to accurate.

I think you are confusing "story" with "setting".

Otherwise, it is like saying you can't have a new story set in and dealing with the contemporary Washington DC, because there's still a USA, Capitol Building, FBI, and US Army.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
What is your definition of "new"?

From what we've seen, all the characters are new - well Mon Mothra (sp) has been around, but, she was hardly a major character, just a bit of Exposition.

It's Star Wars, thus, it's going to have the tropes of Star Wars. That's a given. But, I'm actually kind of curious what you mean by a new.

The universe ain't gonna change, but you could have story that has nothin to do with the Rebels, the Empire, their TFA carboncopies, the force, Jedis, Siths and all the cast of characters that are really old now. Like a Guardians of the Galaxy movie, but in the Star Wars universe.

Ryujin

Legend
Greyhawk: The story you tell while following a Paladin's group will be much different from the story you tell in The Hold of the Sea Princes, but it's still Greyhawk. I'm looking forward to seeing a little of the universe's dark underbelly.

MarkB

Legend
The universe ain't gonna change, but you could have story that has nothin to do with the Rebels, the Empire, their TFA carboncopies, the force, Jedis, Siths and all the cast of characters that are really old now. Like a Guardians of the Galaxy movie, but in the Star Wars universe.

Take all of that away, and why bother setting it in the Star Wars universe at all?

Kramodlog

Take all of that away, and why bother setting it in the Star Wars universe at all?

Why not set it in the Star Wars universe? Ain't the Star Wars universe great? Does it need Luke, the force, the Death Star, etc, to be great?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Why not set it in the Star Wars universe? Ain't the Star Wars universe great? Does it need Luke, the force, the Death Star, etc, to be great?

If you remove all the things that make it clearly Star Wars, how would you know it was in the Star Wars universe? I mean, aside from the words "Star Wars" on the marquee?

"I want Neapolitan ice cream! But, I want it without the chocolate and the strawberry!"

Kramodlog

If you remove all the things that make it clearly Star Wars, how would you know it was in the Star Wars universe? I mean, aside from the words "Star Wars" on the marquee?

"I want Neapolitan ice cream! But, I want it without the chocolate and the strawberry!"
Lots of planets with sand. Star Wars fan love sand planets.

If the Star Wars universe needs Luke and the force to have an identity, then it will never have original stories after the original trilogy. They will all look like the TFA and be pretty bad.

Remove ads