Reviews: Not friendly to publish reviews here

bryce0lynch

Explorer
If I understand things correctly: an entry in to your book/item database must be submitted first prior to a review being posted.

Several forums do this, such as rpggeek, but it's not exactly the most friendly system, particularly in the form seen here on ENworld. I FEEL actively discouraged from submitting reviews to ENWorld because of this. I understand this is a relative thing, but of the forums I frequent the ENworld site seems a lot less "friendly" [from a technical perspective, not a social perspective.]

I'm not sure if it's lack of feedback, or responsiveness, or something else. If I knew I would gladly say so.

I had a similar problem once on therpgsite once, I spoke up, and an interesting discussion ensued. Some tweaks were put in place and now that site is much easier to post reviews to. I think I'm hoping that the same thing can happen here.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand what you mean? To add a review, you go to the product and hit the add review button.

I've taken a screenshot. Either of the two circled red buttons does the trick!

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 12.53.23.png

bryce0lynch

Explorer
Ah, but what if there's not a product to go to?

That's what I mean by an item having to be in the book/item/product database first. You go in and add an item and then once it's in the system you can then go add a review. That's no different than a couple of other sites. But there's something about the process of adding a product on ENworld that is very ... offputting? Discouraging? Idk what to call it.

So, to be clearer, its Reviews for products that are not already in the system that I'm commenting on.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's what I mean by an item having to be in the book/item/product database first. You go in and add an item and then once it's in the system you can then go add a review. That's no different than a couple of other sites. But there's something about the process of adding a product on ENworld that is very ... offputting? Discouraging? Idk what to call it.

I have no idea what to do with that information! There's no "offputting" setting in the admin controls, unfortunately!

If you can point to any specific issues, they may or may not be within my ability to change (if it's a setting, I can probably change something; if it involves writing code, I can't!)

bryce0lynch

Explorer
Hmmm, I wish I knew, which is why I posted it the way I did. :)

What's the usual timeline between submitting a new product and it being in a state that someone can "rate it" or "write your own" ? And/or are there any additional kbobs regarding submitted feedback when you submit a new product?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What's the usual timeline between submitting a new product and it being in a state that someone can "rate it" or "write your own" ?

Basically, I have to do it manually. So as soon as I notice it! It also depends how much work I have to do to make it presentable and how much additional information the submitter makes me look up.

And/or are there any additional kbobs regarding submitted feedback when you submit a new product?

You lost me on that one! Could you rephrase? :)

Remove ads