WEG – multiple shots

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
WEG – multiple shots

Folks,
I am confused at something, and wanted to hear what others do.

I noticed some weapons have a ‘rate of fire’ rating – while others do not. Does that mean weapons with no “rate of fire’ can shoot multiple times during an action? If so does that mean the second shot is calculated with ‘-1d’ for the next action – since the rules says multiple actions can be taken, but with a -1d penalty?

Thank you

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Simply put Rate of Fire is the number of rounds that are fired with each pull of the trigger... for primitive firearms taken from the http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/MSRD:Ranged_Weapons is as follows.
r
Rate of Fire: Some ranged weapons have a rate of fire of 1, which simply means they can be employed once per round and then must be reloaded or replaced. Firearms, which operate through many different forms of internal mechanisms, have varying rates of fire. The three possible rates of fire for handguns, longarms, and heavy weapons are single shot, semiautomatic, and automatic.

Single Shot: A weapon with the single shot rate of fire requires the user to manually operate the action (the mechanism that feeds and cocks the weapon) between each shot. Pump shotguns and bolt-action rifles are examples of firearms with single shot rates of fire. A weapon with the single shot rate of fire can fire only one shot per attack, even if the user has a feat or other ability that normally allow more than one shot per attack.

Semiautomatic (S): Most firearms have the semiautomatic rate of fire. These firearms feed and cock themselves with each shot. A semiautomatic weapon fires one shot per attack (effectively acting as a single shot weapon), but some feats allow characters armed with semiautomatic weapons to fire shots in rapid successions, getting in more than one shot per attack.

Automatic (A): Automatic weapons fire a burst or stream of shots with a single squeeze of the trigger. Only weapons with the automatic rate of fire can be set on autofire or be used with feats that take advantage of automatic fire.

These can also apply to you high-tech energy weapons

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
I don't mean to be rude - but I think you have the wrong version. I cannot find Feats anywhere in my version of the rules. I am using WEG d6 rules.

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Right I assume you are meaning West End Games d6, so many systems so little brain to memorize them all, but back to the RoF what I posted applies to any system that uses weapons of the modern, primitive slugthrowers, to futuristic with lasers, plasma, and MAC guns taking out cities and the nameless NPC's. Unless that system using some really wacky weapon rules.

I also assume you have a listing of firearms/energy weapons with the stats listed for each so as stated just without the required Feats of most d20 systems for the player to use said weapon... personally as a a some times DM/GM I implement a few houserules to allow the PC's a higher survival-ability when I run an Apocalypse, Zombie, or other campaign with a high chance of early character death.

Last edited:

I don't have Star Wars, but OGL D6 Space (which I understand is a revised version of the same game, setting removed) has two relevant sections.

Multiple Actions
"Only equipment and weapons suited for quick multiple actions may be used several times (up to the limit
of their capabilities) in a round. Some examples include semi-automatic guns or items with little or no reload
time, like hands or small melee weapons. A character may not rely on any skill or attribute reduced to zero." - D6 Space, p.58-59

Categories of Firearms
"Most pistols hold between six and 15 rounds. Pistols may always fire once per round, and twice if they are semi-automatic and the user shoots at the same target (with the single fire as multi combat option). Pistols cannot fire full auto — a pistol that can do that is classified as a submachine gun in these rules." - D6 Space, p.107

"As with pistols, rifles may fire once per round or twice if they are semi-automatic (using the single fire as multi combat option). They cannot fire on full auto, since that is the province of assault rifles." - D6 Space, p.108

"There are many single-shot and pump-action shotguns available. The “double-barrel” shotgun can gain the single fire as multi bonus by firing both barrels at once." - D6 Space, p.109

"While most submachine guns hold around 20 or 30 rounds, their rate of fire is so high that they unload themselves quickly. A burst fires about one-fifth of the weapon’s magazine, while a full auto shot
discharges the whole clip. Even so, a full auto shot usually settles most differences between parties quite quickly. Submachine guns may fire at up to three targets per round." - D6 Space, p.109

"Characters may fire [assault rifles] in bursts of three to five rounds (burst fire as single), single-shot, full auto, or single fire as multi. They may fire at up to three targets per round." - D6 Space, p.109

"[Machine guns] may fire at up to three targets per round. Machine guns are almost always belt or drum-fed, meaning they can hold hundreds of rounds. However, many machine guns have cyclic rates of over 500 rounds per minute. They seldom fire on anything but full auto, unless they are loaded with only one round." - D6 Space, p.109

"[Energy weapon h]andguns and rifles may fire single shot (at up to three targets) or single fire as multi,
unless otherwise noted in their description." - D6 Space, p.109

"Personal blasters may only fire once per round (having a longer than normal recharging time)." - D6 Space, p.109

"Plasma rifles and pistols fire a bust of super-heated gas. The clip contains the gas and a disposable battery to charge the electromagnetic pulse of the weapon. These weapons may fire single shot, single fire as
multi, or full auto." - D6 Space, p.109

"Needler rifles and pistols use electromagnetism to fire tiny steel darts at hypersonic speeds. They do not do as much damage as some other weapons, but have huge ammunition capacities. These weapons may also fire single shot, single fire as multi, or full auto." - D6 Space, p.109

aramis erak

Legend
Folks,
I am confused at something, and wanted to hear what others do.

I noticed some weapons have a ‘rate of fire’ rating – while others do not. Does that mean weapons with no “rate of fire’ can shoot multiple times during an action? If so does that mean the second shot is calculated with ‘-1d’ for the next action – since the rules says multiple actions can be taken, but with a -1d penalty?

Thank you

2E (unrevised), page 66:

Some weapons have a fire rate. If there is no fire rate, the weapon can be fired as often in a round as the character wishes. If the fire rate is a simple whole number (like 2 or 4), that is the maximum number of times that the weapon can be fired in a single round.​

If a weapon has no listed fire rate, it essentially has an infinite fire rate... so yes, every shot takes the -1d to all shots; the Fire rate is just the limit on how many you can take.

Remove ads