Which items count towards number of permanent magic items

Anthraxus

Explorer
Good points. Although, new from that post- as per ALPG4, wingwear and balloon packs from Season 2 count as consumables outside of the Elemental Evil season.

Coredump

Explorer
Good spot, and that's what I'd go with as well. *clap clap*

I would not go with that, she wrote that before the latest ALPG, so the bulk of it is no longer correct.

As of season 4, items that can only be recharged in a specific season (wing wear, etc) are considered consumables once out of that season.

The other issue is any documentation for treating a necklace of fireballs as a consumable. (I know of two people that both happened to ask an admin, and got two different answers.....)

kalani

First Post
Good points. Although, new from that post- as per ALPG4, wingwear and balloon packs from Season 2 count as consumables outside of the Elemental Evil season.
Correct. I made that post prior to the Balloon Pack/Wingwear ammendment (which I believe will be added to the upcoming FAQ overhaul, but I am not 100% certain)

RulesJD

First Post
Sorry, I meant regarding things like Shield Guardians that are "breakable". Yes you can lose it so it's like a consumable, but should rather be treated like a permenant item.

While it would probably take about an hour or so to initially compile, I think that the best course of action for providing a nearly futureproof solution is to make a categorized list of every magic item from the DMG and the APs. Separate the items into three categories: Consumable, Semi-permanent (Perm until last charge used), Permanent.

I know that the Admins want to prevent magic item spoiler lists, so I recommend doing this even for items that haven't appeared in any adventures. While this does add time to the initial workload, it makes it easier to maintain in the future; since it means that only AP-exclusive items would have to be added as they are released. If that still feels too spoilery, then only explicitly list those items that fit into the Consumable and Semi-permanent categories and state that anything that isn't listed in those categories is Permanent by default.

Remove ads