D&D 5E Mearl's Book Design Philosophy

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Mark Twain thought his best book was The Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc. Sometimes writers are not the best judges of their own works.

In short, Mearls can philosophize all he wants. As long as he keeps turning out good work, I'll just smile and nod.

It will be interesting to see what the next two or three D&D books will look like.

As I mentioned in one of the VGtM threads, if this format is a success, they may just keep on repeating it. VGtM has updates for all three core rulebooks - Chapter 1's lore is for the DM, Chapter 2's player race options are for the players, and Chapter 3's monsters updates the Monster Manual. As I said in my post, I could easily see something similar for a 5e book on the planes (Volo's Guide to the Planes perhaps?) where one chapter gives a description of the planes (updating the DMG), one chapter giving new player options (player races like the bariaur and perhaps backgrounds based on the old Planescape factions, updating the PHB), and another chapter updating the remaining planar creatures for 5e (updating the MM). I could see WotC using this format to update all sorts of things...

hawkeyefan

Legend
As I mentioned in one of the VGtM threads, if this format is a success, they may just keep on repeating it. VGtM has updates for all three core rulebooks - Chapter 1's lore is for the DM, Chapter 2's player race options are for the players, and Chapter 3's monsters updates the Monster Manual. As I said in my post, I could easily see something similar for a 5e book on the planes (Volo's Guide to the Planes perhaps?) where one chapter gives a description of the planes (updating the DMG), one chapter giving new player options (player races like the bariaur and perhaps backgrounds based on the old Planescape factions, updating the PHB), and another chapter updating the remaining planar creatures for 5e (updating the MM). I could see WotC using this format to update all sorts of things...

I don't think I'd have a problem with that at all, for the most part. I feel like that's what makes the most sense. I also feel like that's how a lot of the old products were...except they'd come in a boxed set and have smaller softcover books for each section.

I tended to love boxed sets, so I'd dig that approach for sure. Even without the boxes.

gyor

Legend
Well, I guess Mearls never stumbled upon 2e's Monstrous Arcana: I Tyrant, and The Illithiad, or the 3.5e Lords of Madness. Otherwise, he might have reconsidered the content of Volo's Guide to Monsters.

Plus the 3.5e books on the Abyss and nine hells. Or previous volo guides to ....

jasper

Rotten DM
post game of thrones world. amen amen amen. Alright you gamers. This means pc death comes often! I sorry the author/dm just decide to murder your pc for ratings!

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Oh, good call on the DM/player/monster trichotomy; that could really work for future products if done right.

S

Sunseeker

I thought that was the point of this edition? Not "new and exciting" but "expected and safe". 5E is like a warm pillow for D&D, you can snuggle right up in it and feel just as comfy as in your last pillow.

I mean sure I get not releasing word-for-word duplicates with some minor mathematical tweaks for the new edition, but if that's all he means that's really nothing to call home about, that's pretty standard product development.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
One a year? 24 months and a couple weeks. 2018 or so.
With some minimal exercise and staying away from scary clowns and you should make it...

One a year? There hasn't been one yet. Adventure paths and a cancelled book don't cut it. Volo's will be the first, but that's just a monster book. The Dungeonology will be the first real release since the game started.

Remove ads