determining random weapon and armor type

CapnZapp

Legend
When you roll something like "01-11 Weapon, +2" on the random magic item tables, how do you find out exactly what weapon it is? (A sword? A dagger? A Bohemian earspoon?)

The SKT FAQ only says "however, feel free to take the party's composition into account when determining armor or weapon types."

This is very vague to me. Does this mean the DM should choose a weapon/armor/ammunition/shield? Doesn't this mean the notion of swords being more common than polearms is getting lost?

Specifically, if I get to choose between "taking the party's composition into account" on one hand (giving out a Bohemian earspoon since one of the players use that) and giving them yet another sword (even though none of the PCs actually use one), most DMs will not consider that a true choice.

How are DMs supposed to not cave in and always hand out items that perfectly suit their parties?

Or, alternatively, is this the actual intent behind the decision to phrase it like that? To be exact - is AL encouraging DMs to cater to the most exotic item use, to eradicate any notion of some weapons being more commonly encountered as magic loot than others?

Is there an official table where you can roll for specific weapons (etc) randomly? (either in AL, or anywhere in 5th Edition at all?)

Thank you

Last edited:

Steve_MND

First Post
How are DMs supposed to not cave in and always hand out items that perfectly suit their parties? Or, alternatively, is this the actual intent behind the decision to phrase it like that? To be exact - is AL encouraging DMs to cater to the most exotic item use, to eradicate any notion of some weapons being more commonly encountered as magic loot than others?

My, you seem a little antagonistic there, Cap'n. Given that the weapons chosen still have to be from among those listed in the PHB, you're not going to have "the most exotic item use," (No actual Bohemian Earspoons; I suspect the 'weirdest' magic weapons you might end up with would be a magic whip, net or hand crossbow).

I feel it's fine to finally give, say, a +2 glaive to that fighter that's been using their mundane one for the last 12 levels.

kalani

First Post
There is an alternative which I will be employing at my tables.... It is just a +1 weapon until such times as a PC claims it, at which point the player chooses what weapon it becomes (and I, the DM then write down in my DM Logsheets that a +1 handaxe was rolled, or whatever the weapon is). This prevents issues with DM favortism such as by the DM providing a +1 polearm or +1 whip in the treasure which is obviously tagged for a specific PC, or accusations of the DM choosing weapons that would favor his/her own character(s).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases