Prop coins for the table

Joshua029

First Post
I've got some steel discs about the size of quarters and a Dremel I can use to put markings on them. Any suggestions on what to put on the coins?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
No suggestions, but I have a big box full of plastic gold and silver coins, as well as tons of toy gems and jewellery. Makes treasure much more interesting to find!

Chocolate coins work too. Plus it adds the conundrum for everyone, "Do I save it to buy plate armor or should I just eat it now?"

You can look up roman coins or others to get some examples. Usually the coins have the image of the king/ruler. You could also do symbols like triangles or lions etc.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I've looked up the company Campaign Coins before, and considered buying them, but I feel no small amount of irony in saying their fake money is too expensive for my tastes. :)

Anyone have suggestions for other sources of cheap but not-bad looking fake treasures for table props?

Some ideas:

https://www.centurynovelty.com/detail_104-006__261__Assorted-Pirate-Gems.html
Fake gemstones

https://www.centurynovelty.com/detail_146-1262__574__Deluxe-Pirate-Coin.html
Bag of 144 pirate coins - these are a bit bad lookign, however.

Joshua029

First Post
Yes, I'm looking into fake gold coins for monetary treasure. However, I'm looking into ways to use these coins as non-monetary loot which provide clues to mythical treasures or locations (possibly the whole set being needed, or possibly different coins providing clues to different rewards).

One of the ideas I was toying with was the player-characters live in a society that sprang up centuries after the mythical high-fantasy civilizations collapsed, but there are still relics that appear from time to time. Perhaps the coins are made and left for adventurers to find, by a bored immortal who wants to see some of the old ways return?

Warrior Poet

Explorer
However, I'm looking into ways to use these coins as non-monetary loot which provide clues to mythical treasures or locations (possibly the whole set being needed, or possibly different coins providing clues to different rewards).

In that case, perhaps use the Dremel tool to etch a map across all the coins arrayed column-by-row?

Need to accumulate all the coins in order to complete the map that leads to the mythical treasures or locations. Depending on how stylized you make the map parts, the individual coins could just appear to have interesting—though vague and essentially geometric—designs on them.

Be a helluva moment around the game table when players suddenly realize just what they've started to accumulate . . . .

Still learning,

Robert

Joshua029

First Post
In that case, perhaps use the Dremel tool to etch a map across all the coins arrayed column-by-row?

Need to accumulate all the coins in order to complete the map that leads to the mythical treasures or locations. Depending on how stylized you make the map parts, the individual coins could just appear to have interesting—though vague and essentially geometric—designs on them.

Be a helluva moment around the game table when players suddenly realize just what they've started to accumulate . . . .

Still learning,

Robert

I really like that idea! How should I denote the order? On the reverse side of the map I could number them. With six coins making a hexagon around the seventh, They could be labeled by row and position (A1, A2, B1, B2, B3, C1, C2). Or would it be better to have a recognizable pattern so they make a picture on one side when in the right order and orientation, then flip them over to reveal the map?

I really like that idea! How should I denote the order? On the reverse side of the map I could number them. With six coins making a hexagon around the seventh, They could be labeled by row and position (A1, A2, B1, B2, B3, C1, C2). Or would it be better to have a recognizable pattern so they make a picture on one side when in the right order and orientation, then flip them over to reveal the map?
No need to provide any type of 'key'. It's a puzzle. Even though the edges aren't "jigsawed", the sketched map will only fit together one way (probably) so that can be part of the challenge for the players to handle irl.

Note, that square, triangular or hex coins would work best for this since they fit together without missing parts.

Now I'm wondering... wouldn't be too hard to model these in 3D, and then get Shapeways or ProtoLabs to 3D print them... that would be fun :)

Warrior Poet

Explorer
I really like that idea! How should I denote the order?

Uh . . . yes? (What do you mean "it wasn't a 'yes-or-no' question?") ;)

On the reverse side of the map I could number them. With six coins making a hexagon around the seventh, They could be labeled by row and position (A1, A2, B1, B2, B3, C1, C2).

See? You don't need my pathetic geographic and/or graphic design help. You've got this well in hand! :)

Or would it be better to have a recognizable pattern so they make a picture on one side when in the right order and orientation, then flip them over to reveal the map?

This is also a good idea. Your own design and schematics sound really good, better than what I would have developed, especially because you know your world layout and elements. My only further advice would be to keep the project manageable in scope, because you'll want to have the coins ready as a game element so the players can begin the process of unfolding the mystery . . .

. . . and then I'd encourage you to throw that caution to the wind and artistically render the most amazing map lucre artifacts ever seen, because creative passion should take us beyond the horizon of what limits manageable might mean, and because the world gets better when we add beauty to it.

Go nuts, get interesting with the design, amaze your players, leave a mark in their memory that they will discuss on hobby forums for decades to come. Most of all, have fun!

Still learning,

Robert

Remove ads