N.E.W. The Science Fiction Role-Playing Game

Sunsword

Adventurer
5 out of 5 rating for N.E.W. The Science Fiction Role-Playing Game

N.E.W. is a well done and interesting game, character creation is far more involved than I usually go for with my schedule, but I think it would create some well-rounded characters. The rules work and make sense. I would advise you to buy this if you are looking for a SF game and would recommend it over Traveller. I also think much of the engine could be used if you had an interest in the D6 System (OpenD6 or Mini Six) as new options and rules.

Full review here.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
5 out of 5 rating for N.E.W. The Science Fiction Role-Playing Game

TLDR: Really awesome game!

We've played several tester sessions with my group and are now graduating onto a full campaign. It's a lot of fun and gives a proper toolbox for Sci-Fi play. We've played some decent 'firefly' style light and punchy short sessions and are now building a Trek inspired 'troupe style' space oddessy - it's going to be great!

I've particularly enjoyed the crunch and depth in character creation, which gives a lot of control and variety. The career development system helps match a story to a character... the exploits ensure characters are each quite different with clear strengths.

What is particularly great is that the 'at table' play is pleasantly rapid. Combat flows nicely and doesn't bog down, works well with or without a tactical map. Non combat, there are some decent work ups for challenge resolution and it felt like everyone could pitch in. We had a really tense repair scenario that worked well - good mix of roleplaying and some tense dice!

Adjustable character creation and flowy at the table. It's the ideal mixture for me.

If you have the slightest interest in sci fi, pick it up and have a look!

Remove ads