D&D 5E To The Strongest: A Mercenary Story

Feyson looks down at Aridha. He would not admit it but he was glad she was joining him. With the halflings assistance he would find the fort much quicker. Especially with the limited information the Queenie provided them. Feyson pulls a small scrap of paper from a pouch and hands it to the halfling.

"This is the limited information our new patron gave us on the location. It's not exact coordinates but it should suffice for us."

Shayuri

First Post
She took the paper and squinted as she read it, her mouth moving slightly.

Then the halfling nodded and handed it back.

"Alright, I think I know where to start looking. There's high ground not far off from that area. Should be able to see it from there. Then it's just a question of getting close enough."

Aridha paused then and gave Feyson a curious glance. "You coming on this one?"

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Lucius approaches Feyson and Aridha, "I'd like to join as well. Keeping the scouting party small makes sense, but I can't imagine I wouldn't be helpful."

Jago

Explorer
The movement in the camp causes the entirety of the Wolves to stir, a great beast being roused from its slumber. A Rider departs to bring word of his leaders' assistance to Pantea, whilst the rest of the company prepares for the day.

Several men and women gather in drill, practicing with light sparring to warm up to the slight chill of this Spring morn. Others work on sharpening their spears or affixing their armor to fit better. The camp's smith repairs a horseshoe that had been thrown during an exercise yesterday, the rider understanding and mellow to the situation. A Sagitarius and Hoplite share a morning cup of posca, speaking at length over rumors from the West: Supposedly the Society has been beseeching the help of the Orcs and their strange allies as of late. Neither knows quite what to make of this, though the High Elf clearly speaks with disdain for her "fallen siblings".

The assembled scouts regard Feyson, Aridha, and Lucius as they discuss the plans for the day. One, Domicles, a senior lieutenant within the Wolves, clears his throat.

" Captain Shadowleaf has the right of it, good sirs. My team and I can move swiftly, but perhaps we might be used better elsewhere: if you and yours investigate this Fort we've been informed of, my men and I can instead search the surrounding areas: Patroklos's forces may have a few camps or so nearby this redoubt, and it would avail us well to discover how quickly they could reinforce their position should we assault it, naí?"

He stepped back slightly after speaking, allowing the officers to continue to refine their plan. Domicles was older than most in the company: 45 was no easy feat for a human soldier to reach, and the salty greys in his beard and hair reflected this. Still, he was as strong and capable as any other within his unit, and knew a little of strategy. He was prepared, however, to follow the orders passed down by the Officers, whom the Company trusted with their very lives. ~

"Yes that was my plan." Feyson looks at Lucius as he walks up and speaks. "That is why I asked you both to join."

When Domicles steps forward and speaks Feyson listens. The man was quick and new what he was talking about. Feyson was not the type to dismiss a good suggestion just because he did not say it first.

"That is a good suggestion Lieutenant. Bring the scouts and perhaps Lucius's Sagitarii or my Peltasts in case we run into difficulty." Feyson looks at the other two Captains. "Send Lt. Domicles here with the scouts to reconnoiter the surroundings. While the three of us check on the fort and it's defenses."

Last edited:

Thateous

Explorer
After the meetings conclusion, Mercutio retreated to his tent and emerged a few minutes later in full battle regalia. Jayce, his second in command, hurried to his side for a plan of action.

"Prepare the men, we've decided on a contract with Queen Pantea, which means we will be doing battle with General Patroklos. Run drills and prepare the men. I'll be heading out with the messenger to go over details of the contract." Mercutio says while looking around the camp.

"Understood Sir! Uhm, is there something I can help you find Commander?" Jayce says, eyeing Mercutio curiously.

"Did the messenger leave already?"

"Yes sir, shortly after you entered your tent."

Mercutio smiles at his trusted friend, "Then I guess the chase is on," he said patting him on the shoulder. Walking away he places two fingers between his lips lets out a high pitched whistle which is proceeded by a small eruption of thunder as a large celestial tiger leaps to his side from out of nowhere. Hoping on the tiger's back he leans forward and says is Sylvan, "The prey has a head start. Evelyn, let's close the gap." The tiger lets out a thunderous roar before breaking into a sprint.

Jago

Explorer
OOC: Thateous, why don't you give me an Animal Handling roll to see if you can catch the other rider before they get too far.

Jago

Explorer
Mercutio reaches the Wolves' Courier post haste, his celestial companion having grown familiar with this part of the Avernix's forest. Leaving the road, it had bounded along trees and over babbling brooks, coming to a thematic stop right in front of the rider. Her horse rearing up, the messenger, a Drow by the name of Delphina, had her hand upon the hilt of her blade but stayed it upon seeing her fellow Wolf.

" Captain!" she exclaimed, getting her mount under control once more and soothing the beast with a soft hush of Elvish," " How in the Heavens did you catch up with me ..? I had Electra running at a full sprint to deliver our message ..!"

She brought her mount up next to the great tiger, clicking her heels into Electra's side and continuing along her way. Delphina pulled back her auburn hair again, using a leather strap to secure it in a pony tail for the ride. She carried the typical sharp facial features of her Elven heritage, though the green eyes betrayed that full Drow, she was not. A newer member of the Wolves, she had stated she came from the Society, though the chaos in the Western Provinces would have made that hard to confirm.

" Come: Pantea keeps a small scouting camp no more than two hours from our own, and the sun says we've covered half that distance by now. No doubt her men are keeping an eye on whom is paying us a visit: their patrols will likely spot us long before we reach them."

Lowering her voice softly, Delphina eyed the trees along the dirt-road they trod upon before speaking more conspiratorially.

" Are you sure that this is a good idea, Captain? Patroklos is a powerful human, and joining Queen Pantea is sure to earn his ire, and possibly that of the Avernix. Should we not try to speak to the Druidic Council of this decision as well? We at least owe them a response, and perhaps they could prepare better for the Queen's terms of surrender, once they surely come."

Thateous

Explorer
Mercutio scratched behind Evelyn's ear while smiling at the drow. "You're right," He says, pausing for effect, "Patroklos is powerful, but let's consider the options. We can't stay between Patroklos and Pantea forever. We can't fight either on our own. Our best bet is to side with the Pantea, hit Patroklos so hard he forgets about Avernix and focuses on Pantea. It's a risk but we that's the unfortunate truth of war," he sighs. "There's always risk."

An awkward silence befalls the two. Mercutio snaps himself back from his sad memories and asks, "What would you do?"

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Remove ads