D&D 5E To The Strongest: A Mercenary Story

Shayuri

First Post
Aridha returns the next day, leaving her wolf at the edge of the Iron Wolves' camp. It wheeled off to hunt or run around or whatever wolves did, leaving the halfling to come into the camp alone. At least until the rest of her squad of scouts, and the other teams who'd gone out, caught up a minute or two later.

Quietly, unobtrusively, she started collecting the other officers so the reports could be given.

"Patroklos has scouted us," is her first statement, delivered deadpan. "Small party from the fort was camped maybe an hour or so out, by foot. Five men, I reckon, plus horses. One of 'em left a letter behind."

She produced a bit of dogeared parchment and put it down on the table.

"Could be a plant, but since I tracked them back to the fort, probably not. They broke camp and went back to the fort an hour or so after the messengers arrived yesterday. We decided fast, so it could be they've news of our decision they brought back."

She then took off her leather backpack and set it on the table, and started pulling items out.

A torc made of gold. An oak staff inlaid with silver. What looked to be a cloak, with a torn fringe, embroidered with some kind of symbol. A sword and a shield that clearly were made by the Avernix...the soldiers of the Iron Wolves had fought with them enough to know their work.

"Found a cart, empty, on the path between the five riders and the fort. They'd been going towards Halveroth, most like. Halflings. Dwarves. Dead now. Figured we should give these things back to the Avernix. Whatever was in the cart's gone though."

Aridha paused, then added, "Might've been going for help. Didn't work out for them. Also, there were some humans heading in from the west...running away from Patroklos. They've got a big force out that way, raiding the farms for food. Could be mustering for an attack on the Avernix."

River Song

Explorer
Theo considered the grim news.

"We should have expected the snake to be ready for disappointment. Any idea of how many men they have in the fort?" he asked the halfling.

Shayuri

First Post
"I was not the only one at the fort, but I will tell what I saw."

She sighs and brushes her forelocks out of her face.

"There are maybe fifty men in the fortress itself, but somethin' like twice as many patrolling the forests and lands around it. They've got towers, one on each corner, and two more over some kind of squat little building off away from the fort a bit. Those two, the ones by the little building there, have those big crossbow-lookin' things on the tops."

"There's forest all around to the east of the fort, and a lake. Might be able to get close that way, but we'd have to deal with all the watchtowers and signal towers they've built all through there."

Thateous

Explorer
"My my how busy the bee's are getting. Best warn Avernix before we go," Mercutio sighs, his plan for a deceptive entry thrown out the window. So how many units did you find at the fort and any estimates on the forces amassing to raid?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

River Song

Explorer
Theoparlis ponders the situation, "Yes we must warn the Avernix of the troop build up but they may not attack until we leave. If they have units patrolling the forests, then we might be able to uses our greater speed and mobility to destroy the patrolling element without having to resort to a pitched battle?"

Shayuri

First Post
Aridha gives Mercutio a flat look and speaks more slowly. "About fifty men. Another hundred or so patrolling the surrounding area."

She shrugs.

"As for the forces back in Patroklos' territory, no idea. Enough that they're forcing farmers off their lands, and fleeing across to the Avernix."

The halfling then nods at Theoparlis.

"We could try to take the patrols in pieces, though they're not JUST patrolling the woods, and there's a fair numbers of towers dotting the place. Five that I saw, the two closest to the fort with more of those big weapons on top. Figure they could probably unload on any army camping outside the fort walls on the east side."

She considers, then adds, "Or the walls themselves...if the towers were occupied by such as would want to."

River Song

Explorer
"Taking the fort will be hard with the style of company we have, however, if we manage to lead the patrolling groups into ambushes we should be able to clear them out." Theo grins wolfishly. "Then we dress up in their wargear and colours and walk into the forts and take them from the inside."

Looking at a map of the area. "We just need to find ground of our choosing to lead them into for an ambush!"

OOC: Looking for a potential ambush site that would limit escape options for the enemy?

Shayuri

First Post
"We can take the towers," Aridha says confidently. "And we should. It's how the fort'll signal for help if it comes under attack. If we take the two closest, we can use their weapons to batter the walls of the fort."

She purses her lips, then adds, "There might be somethin' to your disguise idea though. There's...a river that runs under the fort's walls. I expect they get their water from it. If we ken get someone through the grates or whatever they block it off with, and that someone ken blend in...they could open the gates from inside."

"Hell of a risk of course."

Feyson speaks up from the shadowed corners of the tent.

"I can get inside any of the building." with that statement his clothes and face melt away replaced with a non-descript human wearing the armor and uniform of Patroklos's soldiers. "This should fool most enough to get me inside. Taking the towers is key. We'll never last if we have ballista bolts raining on our heads."

As Feyson continues to speak the disguise drifts away like smoke.

"If we can take the towers in th forest quickly without sounding an alarm we can use the forest as cover to move our men into position. With the two closest towers we can bait them into exiting the fort by using their own siege weapons agains them."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases