Greyhawk: The Golden Era CY 963: EPIC CAMPAIGN - Campaign Logs + RESTORED CAMPAIGN THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
As Delbin and Pondren are flying toward the hilltop, they too, notice the appearance of Sphynx, only a few paces in front of Jynx.

Jynx, in typical, reckless fashion, high fives Sphynx as he rushes past, despite Sphynx's obvious effort to warn him about something.

Dengar and Luis are still standing in their original positions. This is still roleplay at this point. We are not yet in "rounds," nor do we yet require initiative rolls.

[Everyone: What do you do?]

Last edited:

Nezkrul

First Post
Jynx continues his bounding, feeling like he may actually "win". Juicy, perfectly seared, venison with some vegetables on the side.

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
One Prankster to Another

Jynx remembers his old friend and ally, but chuckles at the remark of rushing into the unknown. As that is a bit of an oxymoron on Sphynx's plane, because everywhere is unknown unless you can read the mind of the Sphynx, Jynx continues running right past Sphynx...and high five's his outstretched hand on the way past.

"Just because you can bamph around in here doesn't mean I won't try to beat you too, old friend!" smiling, as he runs by.

~if you can hear this, Sphynx, it better be venison when I get there.~

It is rather difficult to "high-five" someone who is only 5.5' tall whose hand is extended forward; but none the less, Sphynx laughs at the gesture. With astounding grace and fluidity for an apparently aged Elf and an astonishing reflex speed, Sphynx glides to the side and gives a quarter turn smoothly avoiding any contact from the speeding pirate as he rushes by.

"My instinct assures me the lack of venison will not be your concern."

With the same speed, grace, and fluidity, Sphynx turns on the balls of his feet and, speaking a word to himself, darts toward the hill.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Rushing Towards Danger!

Luis said:
Luis, knowing he can get there rather quickly, decides to stay right on Jynx's heels.

Sphynx said:
With the same speed, grace, and fluidity, Sphynx turns on the balls of his feet and, speaking a word to himself, darts toward the hill.

[Sblock=DM JOKE: What I Think Sphynx Probably Said]"MESHUGGINA!"[/Sblock]

GM: Sphynx run speed: 120 x 4 = 480 ft. per round. Sphynx, Luis, and Jynx will arrive at almost precisely the same time, although Luis is clearly holding back to do so.

As you reach the top of the hill, you encounter a grisly sight; there is a family of 7 dark-skinned tribesmen, consisting of a man, his wife, an elderly man, and 4 children, all lying dead and bloody in the center of a gathering of tents. The campfire is still going, and the meat on the spit is still cooking. They have all been dead probably for less than 15 minutes, from the looks of things.

Standing in the midst of them, wearing a silvery chainmail shirt, holding a silvery, metal shield, and brandishing a silvery battleaxe which is dripping with blood, is the biggest Orc anyone has ever seen. His skin is crimson red, and his green eyes glow with an eerie, unnatural light. The hand in which he holds his axe is outstretched, toward the elderly man. A glowing, blue energy is starting to form around the body of the old man, and coalesce toward the Orc; he is draining the man's soul!!

As he notices the three of you, he says: "Ah, your auras are MUCH stronger! Good! I guess I will enjoy my stay on this new world after all!"

GM:
At this point, the party needs to roll initiative. Remember to use the website ROLLZ (<--Click) and to use the dice room EPICGREYHAWK963 to make all of your rolls in. If you don't have an account, make one. It's free. And that way, when you log in, I will be able to tell who is making rolls.

ROUND TWO INITIATIVE:
As a courtesy, I have listed your initiatives below for easy reference:

Jynx (1d20+26): 43

Sphynx (1d20+21): 34 (a) Wins tie with Luis (Dex 45)

Luis (1d20+20): 34 (b) Loses tie with Sphynx (Dex 34)

Delbin (1d20+15): 32 (Will Arrive At Start Of Round 7.)

Orc "King" (1d20+11): 15

Dengar (1d20+7): ?
(Will Arrive At Start Of Round 5.)

Pondren (1d20+1): 7 (Will Arrive At Start Of Round 5.)

Ok, folks, roll your initiatives, and then post them in the Facebook Messenger OOC thread. I will then arrange them here on this post, in order.

Last edited:

Nezkrul

First Post
In one fluid motion, Jynx's blades find themselves in his hands. Not giving a moment's thought to this "orc king", Jynx rushes into melee with a dire foreboding, and slashes fervently at the orc's axe whilst maintaing defensive posture.

OOC: Dire Charge full attack. Each attack will be a sunder attempt against the axe, until the axe is destroyed, then remaining sunder attempts will be against his shield; unless the orc abates the attempt easily. If so, the rest of his attacks are on the orc's person. Each sunder attempt must be rolled for separately because they are opposed rolls. Bonuses and penalties- +2 (charge), -4 (fighting defensively), no bonus or penalty for weapon size (Jynx' swords are one size larger than a normal one for a human). Main Hand attack bonuses- +83 / +78 / +73 / and +68; off hand attack bonuses- +83 / +78 / +73 / +68
Each sunder attempt provokes an attack of opportunity from the Orc, but he can't take any attacks of opportunity if he was caught flat-footed by Jynx's speed (beating him on initiative on round 1).
Main hand First Roll- 97, ended up failing so the rest of Jynx's attacks were against the Orc himself; all hit and several crit; for a total of 510 damage

"This guy's pretty damn good with that axe of his so watch out!"

Last edited:

Luis

First Post
Luis seeing Jynx attack decides to follow suit and leads in with a flurry of blows with blue destiny!

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Jynx being the faster man gives Sphynx a more akin opportunity. As Jynx engages and possibly Luis, Sphynx teleports behind where the Orc will need to be facing and attempt to touch with his left hand, holding the staff in his right. He will follow this with the staff in a blow at the legs attempting to trip the beast.

OOC: At this point, I cannot find how many spells I can cast in one round at various levels. "Pain Touch" is the 10th level version of energy drain but requires a touch as it also causes negative energy damage, d8/L. The save is WIL.

GM: Remember: Spells are 1st - 9th Level; there are higher spell slots that you can use to ramp up your power (Metamagic Feats), but the only spells that are created above 9th level are Epic Spells. And I just so happen to have a copy of Sphynx's Painful Affliction, the Epic Spell that approximates the Pain Touch spell you used to have, back in the old, first edition days. You can cast 5 Epic Spells per day, so use those sparingly. The stats for Painful Affliction are listed below.

As for how many spells you can cast: Without the Haste spell running, you can use your Standard Action to cast any spell you know, Normal (1st - 9th) or Epic. Then, you also get 2 Quickened spells, which must be Normal. When you activate the Haste power of your boots, you spend your Standard Action the first round to activate the power, then you get your 2 quickened spells, then you get an extra Partial Action, during which you can cast any spell you know, Normal or Epic. Every round afterwards, you will get a Standard Action (any spell), an extra Partial Action (any spell) plus your two quickened spells (Normal only.) So basically, you either cast 3 spells per round, or 4 spells per round, depending on whether or not you are hasted. As a reminder, having the ability to cast so many spells is what every ARCH MAGE dreams of, it is one of the most elite of the epic-level powers. Enjoy.

OOC: Rollz does not work with my browser. I will have to post traditionally while I am on my mac. Touch attack, d20+ 88 = 100, Trip attack d20 + 83 = 97.

GM:
Sphynx’s Painful Affliction [Epic Enchantment] (Compulsion) [Mind-affecting]

Spellcraft DC:
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 300 ft.
Target: 1 Living Creature
Duration: 20 Minutes
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

To Develop: [156 x 9,000] 1,404,000 Gp. Research Cost / [Cost / 50,000] 28 Days Research Time / [Cost / 25 Xp.] 56,160 Xp. Pts. Research Cost.
Factors: Afflict Seed [Base DC 14], +9 Spell DC [+18], +14 Caster Level Check [+28], Increase penalty 24 pts. to total of -25 Strength [+96] = Total DC: 156

The target creature of this spell experiences excruciating pain throughout its entire body, causing it to suffer a -25 penalty to its Strength score for the duration of the spell. When Sphynx casts this spell, the Will DC is 50, and the caster level check to break through Spell Resistance is 1d20+60.

Note that this spell can be stopped by Mind Blank and similar effects and immunities. This is because the spell affects the target’s mind, stimulating the creature’s brain (specifically, the brain’s pain receptors) which is the source of the pain that the creature feels. However, it should also be noted that creatures who enjoy immunity because of Divine Rank must possess at least Divine Rank 1 to be immune to Sphynx’s casting; The Sphynx is Divine Rank 0, and the mind-affecting immunities from Divine Rank do not apply vs. opponents of equal or greater Divine Rank. Thus, creatures with Divine Rank 0 are on equal footing to The Sphynx, and therefore vulnerable to his casting of this spell.

GM:
In summary, assuming you're not going to bother with Haste, you can use a quickened spell (7th Level; Greater Teleport) and then use your Standard Action to cast your epic spell; in which case, you've still got one quickened spell left. By the way, there's actually no need to cast teleport, since your epic spell doesn't require touch. You and I collaborated on this spell several months back, if you've forgotten, or lost your file, I can re-send it to you via email, in PDF format.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Results of Sphynx's Attack

Jynx, as you are assaulting the demonic-looking Orc, Sphynx suddenly appears behind it, and speaks a cryptic word, before attempting to carve up the massive beast.

GM:
Ok, because Sphynx was using the wrong terminology (we play too many disparate games! LOL.) I had to re-configure his action.

By saying, "Trip attempt," his true meaning was to attack the legs. So:

Sphynx uses Greater Teleport (7th level Quickened spell, free action) to get behind the thing.
Sphynx uses Haste (3rd level Quickened spell, free action) to haste himself.
Sphynx uses his extra Partial Action (from Haste) to cast the epic spell which just got resisted. (See below.)
Sphynx uses his Full Round Action to attack the Orc 4 times with his staff, using called shot modifiers to attack the legs specifically.

Sphynx, your spell has failed to affect the Orc!
Orc's Spell Resistance = 68. Your roll (1d20+60) 3+60 = 63.

Attacks:
(4 called shots, kneecaps / Achilles tendons) = -12 to hit. Lowest attack mod: +73. Minus 12 = +61. (Vs. 44 AC, can't miss, except on a 1.)
Keep in mind that there are no called shots in D&D 3.x rules; however, since I am developing a called shot system for my OTTER 3.x clone, I am going to test it here. Here's how I'm thinking about making called shots work. Send me an OOC message if you have questions, comments, or suggestions.

To hit the head, upper arm, forearm, upper leg (thighs), or lower leg (calves) = -4 to hit. / +1d6 damage. (Plus 3d6 damage on a crit.)
To hit the hands, feet, groin, or kidneys = -8 to hit. / +2d6 damage. (Plus 6d6 damage on a crit.)
To hit the neck, eyes, ears, mouth, kneecaps, ankles, or Achilles tendons = -12 to hit. / +3d6 damage. (Plus 9d6 damage on a crit.)

Called shots do not work on any creatures that are immune to critical hits, such as (but not limited to) constructs and undead.
Since critical hits do no extra effects in 3.x rules (-2 checks / AC / etc.) neither do called shots; it's just a way for superior fighters to ramp up their damage.

Also: Luis, since I let Sphynx do it, I am also applying called shot penalties to your attacks as well, since you probably would have opted for that, had you known it was an option. Jynx, same goes for you.

Sphynx's results:
(Normal damage + Sneak Attack + Called Shot)

1st Hit: 80 Points. (-26 Damage Reduction) = 54 Points.
2nd Hit: 76 Points. (-26 Damage Reduction) = 50 Points.
3rd Hit: 78 Points. (-26 Damage Reduction) = 52 Points.
4th Hit: 85 Points. (-26 Damage Reduction) = 59 Points.
Total Damage: 215 Points.

Retroactive results for Jynx:
(Posted damage + Called Shot)

5 hits / 3 crits (3d6 x 5) + (9d6 x 3) = +140 Points Extra Damage.

(In order to maintain continuity, Luis's attacks will be in the next post.)

Sphynx, for the first time in your recent memory (about the last 300 years or so) a creature has resisted one of your unique spells! Undaunted, you bring your weapon to bear, striking at the rear of the beast's kneecaps, and at his Achilles tendons, inflicting painful injuries for which he was unprepared!

GM:
DM Housekeeping:

Orc: -865 hit points. Moderately wounded, extremely angry.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads