Starfinder STARFINDER: Here's What We Know

I've compiled all the information we know so far about Paizo's upcoming Starfinder RPG, which launches next year; it was announced in May, but my coverage has been lost in the recent crash. The game is based on the Pathfinder rules, and is broadly compatible but may require some "minimal" conversion. It's science-fantasy standalone game which crosses magic with technology (it sounds very similar to Dragonstar for those who remember that!)

starfinder-logo-970x545.jpg

Products. Starfinder Adventure Path and Core Rulebook (August 2017, at Gen Con). Starfinder Bestiary soon after (this looks like it will also contain player alien races). The core rulebook will not be have same structure as the Pathfinder one. Starfinder will not be getting as much support as Pathfinder traditionally has. The setting is included in the core book.

Races. In addition to the Pathfinder core races (Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Halfling, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Human), Starfinder also includes Androids, Ratfolk, Kasatha, Lashunta, and two other alien races. The Lashunta -- "They’re the main race for Castrovel, They’re humanoid, psychic… got a bit of a Vulcan thing going for them in terms of their mindset."

Classes. The core Starfinder classes are Soldier (fighter), Operative (rogue), Mechanic (create robots), Envoy (buffer, diplomat), Technomancer (magic and tech hybrid; Warhammer 40K librarians), Mystic (oracle), Solerian (special energy powers).

Setting. Set in Golarion's solar system (as described in Pathfinder's Distant Worlds), but the core Pathfinder world, Golarion, is missing. Even the gods will not reveal where it is, but they say it is safe - it has not been destroyed. There is a memory gap (actually called "the Gap"), multiverse-wide, covering the entirety of Golarion and its history, although the actual memory gap length varies from place to place. " So you go to one system, maybe the edge is three hundred years before present day in Starfinder, but you go to another system somewhere else and maybe it’s three hundred and five years before present day. Where the cutoff is wavers, and all the Starfinders really want to find out as much information as they can from planets where the Gap is in a different place so they can rebuild that history that’s been lost."

The core location of the new setting is a space station called Absolam Station, which is where Golarion used to be and is described as "the UN meets Babylon 5". Societies are advanced into the future -- "What if Hellknights’ citadels, instead of being castles, were these big warships floating through space? Does the Church of Iomedae have giant cathedral ships throughout the system?"

FTL Travel. FTL travel is part of the setting. The distance travelled can have environmental effects, up to and including creation of or changing of planes.

Other Technology. The usual lasers, plasma, power armor, spaceships are included. Magic items are rarer. Cybernetics exist.

Starships. Starship combat is described as "Star Trek/Firefly-esque", and also "Battletech/Spelljammer", takes place on a 2D hex grid, and involves all players having a part in combat with each ship role hinging on a specific skill. Initiative has the winner moving last (reverse order) so they can react to the loser. Combat is divided into phases (engineering, piloting, gunnery). Starships have their own character sheets and are upgradeable. Ship roles include captain (buffs), pilot (stunts), science officer (scans), gunner (shoots), engineer (directs power). Fairly standard fare for the genre.

Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 16.50.57.png

Image from Jason Bulmahn​

Religion. Hyperspace was "gifted" to the galaxy by an ascended AI god; this god has some kind of link to one of Golarion's gods. Some of Golarion's gods are missing. In the Starfinder rulebook, 20 gods will be listed. Examples include Abadar (god of commerce; followers have created a corporation called Abadar Corp); Iomedae (followers have great cathedral ships).

Rules. Similar to Pathfinder. "There will be changes to the core engine, but it’ll be close enough that if you have a Pathfinder Bestiary, you can take an ogre out of that, give him a laser gun and use him in Starfinder with minimal conversation." Magic items will change -- "One thing that will not be in there is the conventional Pathfinder magic item creation system. We’re tweaking the rules around gear and economics and magic. We want to make it a little less bookkeeping and a little more “sense of wonder.”"

Playtests. There won't be an open playtest of this one.

Places to read more (sadly we lost EN World's interview and all the Starfinder coverage I've done in the recent crash, thus this article).

StarfinderPoster.jpg

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I've always added multiple universes, as in Golarion to us is just one more prime world same as Faerun, Tellene etc. So that was never an issue.

Starfinder will be an extention for us, to be able to play modern and futuristic games with PF better. At first, I was excited about a space world around Golarion, but I dislike time jumps and unexplained things like "Oh a planet is missing" very much. So I would either just use the setting once we know, if ever, where the heck they lost the world and why, or make up my own reasons and ignore canon from then on. I very much prefer Golarion to be present, and to be able to use all the classes, albeit modernized, from everywhere. The way magic works won't change just because time advances. I hated that about Faerun already. But as I am the GM, I can just make it happen anyway I like, in the end.

On the bright side though, this doesn't mess up Golarion like Wizard messed up Faerun because the world doesn't get changed, it keeps advancing slowly. I do worry about finding enough players to run things, as usual, because among those who just play, or at least prefer, official adventures (a lot of people in my player pool) there will almost certainly be a split between PF and SF. I'm not so keen on running any more 2 people games.

I already have a group for the first SF AP though, so I will give it a try.

Good point about finding players... I recently and finally managed to gather two additional players from the 3.5 gangs still running amok, and there's zero chance they'll devote any time to Starfinder. So yeah... for my group this will never happen.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases