WOIN Supers

M3woods

Explorer
Looking at shifting to d10 dice pools for a supers game and I'm hoping someone would check my math here. Does this look accurate?

A WOIN Supers game could shift to a d10 dice pool, moving a Grade 5 PC's 50/50 success rate up the Difficulty Rating Benchmark table from Difficult to Strenuous. This allows Super characters to successfully achieve tasks that a Normal character would find more difficult.

A 5d10 Super, with an average Attack roll of 28, would likely sweep through common 5d6 mooks (average Defense 18).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My thoughts for supers was that each "level" of superpower increases the dice type of one attribute by one stage.

So level one superstrength means you roll d8s for STR checks, level 2 is d10s, level 3 is d12s. Same for each attribute, individually.

Mutants appear in NOW, which is street level superpowers.

M3woods

Explorer
Super powers would be built along the same lines as powers in M&M3e, by Type, Range, and Effect. Types are General, Attack, Defend, Movement, Sensory, and Control. Ranges would be Personal, Close, Ranged, and Perception. Effect simply names the Power. Launching a fireball would be a Ranged Attack (fire). Perception-ranged Sensory (Illusion). Perception-ranged Attack (Mind Blast).

M3woods

Explorer
My thoughts for supers was that each "level" of superpower increases the dice type of one attribute by one stage.

So level one superstrength means you roll d8s for STR checks, level 2 is d10s, level 3 is d12s. Same for each attribute, individually.

Mutants appear in NOW, which is street level superpowers.
I can see that working, too. I'm sure you've given it more consideration than me. My thoughts were building baseline characters using the simpler dX system: Normal (d6), Street-level/Pulp (d8), Supers (d10). Each one would still maintain the Grade 5 setup and advancement.

M3woods

Explorer
Morrus, after some (more) thought on the matter, you're way would likely work best. I'm assuming the character would be built at a 5d6 (normal) baseline and move up a die type, incrementally, through choosing Powers and Power Levels (similar to Skill Ranks.)

My way assumed a baseline of Super (d10s across the board) but that doesn't work so well when I considered the max dice pool economy. The only way something like Superstrength could work would be to allow the character to increase the number of dice in the pool. I was thinking an additional die per two ranks so Superstrength 2 allows 6d10 on a STR check. I haven't looked at the math involved but I'm sure that throws it seriously out of whack.

thundershot

Adventurer
I was literally just asking if this was going to be in the cards at some point on Facebook.. Supers and Wild West. They'd make great supplements... The trick would be making sure they can coexist with NEW, NOW, and OLD without making those characters redundant in a mixed game.

M3woods

Explorer
Just playing with ideas.

Changes to Origin/Career paths for a SUPERS game:

WOIN Origin replaced by a simple word change to Background.

ORIGIN
Accident, Alien, Endowment, Experiment, Mutant, Training

Standard Race/Species becomes Archetype.

ARCHETYPES
Battlesuit, Construct, Crime Fighter, Energy Controller, Gadgeteer, Martial Artist, Mimic, Mystic, Paragon, Powerhouse, Psionic, Speedster, Shapeshifter, Warrior, Weapon-master

Power (POW) Attribute acts similar to Magic (MAG) or Psionics (PSI).

EXAMPLE:
Crime Fighter
AGI +2, INT +2, POW +1

Skills. Acrobatics, Unarmed, Intimidation, Investigation, Thrown Weapon, Stealth

Exploits.
*Wonderful Toys. You always have the right tool for the job. You gain +2 to Skill Checks.

*Fearful Legend. Criminals fear you, and rightly so. You may make a REP vs. MENTAL DEFENSE attack to inflict the afraid condition on a target until they shake it off. With a second attack, you can increase the condition to terrified.

*Territory. Choose a city or other area. In that area, you receive +1d6 on checks made to hide or move quietly while there.

*Athletic. Choose four [physical] skills. You gain these four skills at 1 rank (1d6). This does not increase the rank of an existing skill.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What does the POW score do?

(Incidentally, the word "Origin" is more suited to supers than it is to any other genre - the Origin Story is a staple of supers media). :)

M3woods

Explorer
Sorry. I wasn't clear. Each PC has a Background, three Careers, an Origin, and an Archetype.

As for Power, I'm still working on that.

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Keep in mind that if you use the list of archetypes from the d20 Hero SRD, to play it safe you'd probably need to include the d20 OGL in your work if you publish it, adding a cite to the d20 Hero SRD in the Section 15.

Last edited:

Remove ads