Pathfinder 1E Creating character races from the Bestiary

Joshua029

First Post
How would one go about turning a monster race into a character race in Pathfinder?

Flipping through the bestiary, I noticed that the few races which are also in the Advanced Race Guide have all been CR1/2. So if something is CR1, would the character get its first class-level at L2? A CR2 race getting its first character level at L4?

Also, if someone could explain how challenge ratings work for setting up encounters with multiple creatures, I'd appreciate it. Would a Level 5 party just fight any combination of monsters whose CRs add up to around 5?

I'm not an expert on turning monsters into playable races, but there is an official guide to race-building. It's available here :
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-races

As for calculating the EL (encounter level) of an encounter, IIRC (maybe this is from 3.5Ed), two CR X creatures amount to a CR X+2 creature in terms of challenge. So, for example, an encounter consisting of :
- 2 CR 1 creatures
- 1 CR 3 creature
- 1 CR 5 creatures
The 2 CR 1 creature are equivalent to a CR 3 creature. Combined to the CR 3 creature, this amounts to a CR 5 creature. Combined to the CR 5 creature, this woud mean that this is a EL 7 encounter. When calculating XP, though, you would do it for each of the 4 creatures in the group.

Good luck and good game!

Joshua029

First Post
I have the Advanced Race Guide, which does include some races, but there are others such as Satyrs which are not included. My question was in regards to the possibility of an easy system for distilling races in the bestiaries to what would be racial stats, without having to build them from scratch with the point-system in the back of the Advanced Race Guide.

Remove ads