5e Homebrew Setting: Malebolge, Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy

QuietBrowser

First Post
Okay, I don't know how I can do proper credit to that reply, but here goes nothing: thank you very much for the deep response and I want you to know I appreciate it.

With the Draeg, I know the idea seems a little jokey, but that's not always a bad thing. Honestly, the reason I want to do a Shin'hare expy is because the Shin'hare are, in my eyes, incredibly (censored) creepy. This isn't just the Aussie dislike of rabbits talking, either; on the core of it, we have a race that considers life so expendable that human wave tactics have been refined to an artform - a people that breeds children, by the thousands, to slaughter them at birth to create magical weapons for its higher ranked creatures. A force where the soldiers will hurl themselves with glassy-eyed indifference onto your blade until you trip over the corpses you created and the survivors can tear you apart with knives. That's frigging spooky to begin with... now, imagine that those swarming horrors have the appearance of cute little bunny rabbits. It should dispel the tension, but it only seems to make it worse; that presentation of cute things doing hideously brutal murder is just creepy as :):):):).

That's why I really think I want to give the Draeg a shot. All of the other races can certainly fill an antagonistic role, with everything from mad scientist kobolds & gnomoi to Enclave-esque pureblood dwarves to raider tribes of orks and calibans, but they're all written from the perspective of "non-evil culture" first. The Draeg would be my first race to fill the "Usual Bad Guys" slot, the first "evil culture" of the setting, and there's something to be said for that, isn't there?

Many thanks for your approval of the Rodushi! I really wanted to do something with the Burmecians of Final Fantasy, and the Rodushi, with a little inspiration borrowed from Rokugan's Nezumi, was the end result. It's nice to see a ratfolk race that isn't the Usual Bad Guys flavored, as you agree. :D

I...I'm sorry, but I can't really understand a lot of what you're saying with the Kobold paragraphs. Some parts are legible, but others... let me put it like this; I can't discern if you're saying "keep the kobolds as semi-hermaphrodites" or "dump the herm-angle and just make them male and female". If you could just explain these comments a little better, please, then I could give you a more detailed response to them.

I am not sure what is trying to be accomplished for your Kobolds. I have to agree with Chaos, that subtle or almost undetectable differences between the sexes from outsiders, but glaringly obvious from the Kobolds perspective. As is, it just feels like we are being told details that don't carry a lot of meaning and are somewhat confusing as written.

I just don't see the need for this shadowing of Human genders as a gaffe to their race (which you did state could be as a sign of strength, so contradictory) when their differences from their Draconic ancestors should be what causes them grief.

I can understand that you're saying it needs to be rewritten, at least in the appearance and reproduction sections? Or is it the gazetteer as a whole that needs rewriting?

To try and answer one question I perceive; these kobolds essentially look like the Pathfinder/4e/5e depictions of kobolds, humanoid dragons. There's a little influence from some kobold artwork I've seen and liked from /tg/, but even so, these use the "lizard/dragon-kobold" look as a basis.

Kobolds in this setting are extremely mutable; this partially due to the influences that caused them to mutate from dragon eggs in the first place* butit's mostly a result of generations of experimentation to try and rekindle that draconic spark. I'm still struggling with deciding whether this should be better represented by subraces or by using the "variable racial traits" approach of the tiefling. So, by default, kobolds don't have breath weapons or innate magic (bar sorcerers, of course) or damage resistance and certainly don't have wings. However, there, for example, mutant kobolds who do have at least gliding wings.

And yes, please, I dearly want any thoughts folks are willing to share; that's why I keep asking for opinions, suggestions and requests in general.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I am fine with the 'Herm angle' as we can call it. It is the contrary or unfocused theme that feels wonky to me.

They want to be Dragons. I think the culture and appearance can mimic that. Make them try and graft wings onto themselves, attempt to stretch limbs closer to the size of a dragon. Have some gaining weight to simply try and grow to that size. Run with this mad-scientist Kobold race that drinks alchemical concoctions to help them breath fire (not always super successful).

That all seems like an awesome way to go. Then, there is as some others have put it... Lizard boobs. It is crass to just say it really, but there it is. It is odd, and I want to know why it belongs. Why is there, or does there need to be this in the story of your Kobolds?

You say this:
The second is less explainable. Essentially, if a kobold eats sufficiently to build up excess fat reserves, it stores the bulk of the fat into two protrusions on the upper torso, which look remarkably like humanoid breasts. That this happens to both sexes possibly has something to do with the aforementioned quasi-hermaphrodite satus, but why it happens in the first place is a mystery. Depending on the tribe a kobold hails from, such growth may be seen as either desirable, showcasing the kobold's status and strength, or as undesirable, either for being a mockery of the kobold form or signifying laziness.

What is the in-world reason or mechanic for this? What do these fat deposits do for the story of these people? Is there a mechanical benefit? You even elude that the happening is a mystery.

Look, I have no real beef with lizards that have breast like shapes on their chest, but it seems contrary to what you had stated the people want. They want to be like Dragons so why would these still be a thing? Why would they be proud of it in some cases and not in others? Especially since you don't provide any access to greater power these fat deposits provide. Why would other Kobolds think this one with the breasts is more powerful, than the flat-chested female/male next to her/him?

I feel that people may struggle on it. I am struggling on it. Others have commented on it as well. That is the sort of indication I look for when I write and present home-crafted worlds and races.

Again, if that is just your vision for them, then no worries. It is your work. I hope I made some sense... like at all... :p

QuietBrowser

First Post
Okay, thank you, that really does clarify things a lot. Let me see if I can explain things/answer your questions...

I think a big part of where things went wrong in the description of them as a whole is that, whilst the foundation of kobold culture is this burning drive to be more draconic, there's also tribes who are breaking away from that. You can only watch so many generations of having your kids get turned into faerie dragons and T-Rexes and the like before you start to rebel against the mad magi-scientists conducting all these failed experiments, right?

Essentially, I wanted to make it clear that there are kobolds, both individually and as tribes, who've chosen to try and take some pride in themselves, rather than being dominated by these "Old World Blues". They may be a minority, but they are out there.

Do you - or anyone else following this discussion - have any suggestion on how I might clear up the cultural kerfuffle? Because, you're right, the foundation of kobolds as a species is and always has been "they're not real dragons, they're broken shards of dragons forced into a semblance of the human shape, and they yearn to recover their ancestral glory". Heck, I even battered around whether or not some kobolds are - or at least claim to be - literal shards of dragons slain during the Black Dawn, having spontaneously erupted from dragon corpses the way Norse dwarves were the maggots who crawled out of Ymir.

If possible, I'd like to preserve the idea that there are kobolds who aren't crazy about it or have even turned their back on it, because, you know, the fact they created and continue to create the various reptilian monsters roaming the wasteland is something that would make people pretty hostile, but I definitely want to preserve this general vengeful mad scientist theme they have.

As for the lizard-breasts thing... well, I'll be honest, a part of them is personal appeal to me. But I don't want them to be just about that.

My original justification for them was just a weird biology quirk, that in this reptilian species, not only does fat manifest mostly in breast-like growths, but the culture has developed a "fat is beautiful" mentality, because of the whole "any kobold who actually has the food and leisure to get fat is clearly a very successful kobold and thusly is desireable as a breeding partner" angle, which honestly would probably work just as well, if not better, for a lizardfolk species that maintains more of its traditional "primal" mentality. Which reminds me, I want to talk about the possibility of incorporating lizardfolk into the Malebolge in the future.

From there, the idea was replaced with the idea that this is part of their "curse"; whatever changed them from dragondom forced them into such a "human-like" mold that they even defy their seemingly reptilian appearance by growing the semblance of breasts, something not helped by the fact that, from a biological viewpoint, every kobold is female (just as every kobold is also male), and so their biology is kind of screwed up.

This idea was further exaggerated by the fact that, well, kobolds are the Mad Scientist race, as you said; I'm growing increasingly convinced that a tiefling style "variable racial traits" approach might be the best idea for handling them, at least in the Malebolge. Mutations run rampant through the kobold tribes, which is why you have kobolds with superior strength rubbing shoulder with those who have gliding wings with those who can belch fireballs with those who can innately cast certain spells. When you add this to their existing biology, well, pseudo-breasts didn't seem that strange.

So, now that this is explained, does it justify them at all? Is there anything that can justify them better?

I will make a confession; I actually rather liked the lore of dragonborn in 4e being monotremes, and I'm considering if I shouldn't reappropriate that lore for kobolds (and thus dragonborn) in this setting too. It just further emphasizes, in my mind, that they aren't dragons anymore and that they probably never will be dragons again, which is why there are kobolds who have turned away from "The Great Pursuit". Of course, what I had in mind is that they're closer to actual monotremes; no nipples, just glands in the chest that ooze milk, and pseudo-breasts do help by making it possible for the hatchlings to suck the milk off.

On the herm aspect, you said that you're fine with it. Do you think the current setup, complete with slightly different genitalia arrangements, makes sense, emphasizing the "dragons forced into the humanoid mold" angle I've been trying to go with as the kobold's basis? Or do you think the hint of gender semblance should be removed, so all kobolds have femininely curved features, wide egg-laying hips, a seperate penile slit, and a cloaca, and they're effectively a unisexual race in appearance and in nature?

I could probably come up with more stuff to talk about, but I've gone on long enough and I want to avoid breaking this topic up whilst it's still in need of settlement.

Lanliss

Explorer
Okay, thank you, that really does clarify things a lot. Let me see if I can explain things/answer your questions...

I think a big part of where things went wrong in the description of them as a whole is that, whilst the foundation of kobold culture is this burning drive to be more draconic, there's also tribes who are breaking away from that. You can only watch so many generations of having your kids get turned into faerie dragons and T-Rexes and the like before you start to rebel against the mad magi-scientists conducting all these failed experiments, right?

Essentially, I wanted to make it clear that there are kobolds, both individually and as tribes, who've chosen to try and take some pride in themselves, rather than being dominated by these "Old World Blues". They may be a minority, but they are out there.

Do you - or anyone else following this discussion - have any suggestion on how I might clear up the cultural kerfuffle? Because, you're right, the foundation of kobolds as a species is and always has been "they're not real dragons, they're broken shards of dragons forced into a semblance of the human shape, and they yearn to recover their ancestral glory". Heck, I even battered around whether or not some kobolds are - or at least claim to be - literal shards of dragons slain during the Black Dawn, having spontaneously erupted from dragon corpses the way Norse dwarves were the maggots who crawled out of Ymir.

If possible, I'd like to preserve the idea that there are kobolds who aren't crazy about it or have even turned their back on it, because, you know, the fact they created and continue to create the various reptilian monsters roaming the wasteland is something that would make people pretty hostile, but I definitely want to preserve this general vengeful mad scientist theme they have.

As for the lizard-breasts thing... well, I'll be honest, a part of them is personal appeal to me. But I don't want them to be just about that.

My original justification for them was just a weird biology quirk, that in this reptilian species, not only does fat manifest mostly in breast-like growths, but the culture has developed a "fat is beautiful" mentality, because of the whole "any kobold who actually has the food and leisure to get fat is clearly a very successful kobold and thusly is desireable as a breeding partner" angle, which honestly would probably work just as well, if not better, for a lizardfolk species that maintains more of its traditional "primal" mentality. Which reminds me, I want to talk about the possibility of incorporating lizardfolk into the Malebolge in the future.

From there, the idea was replaced with the idea that this is part of their "curse"; whatever changed them from dragondom forced them into such a "human-like" mold that they even defy their seemingly reptilian appearance by growing the semblance of breasts, something not helped by the fact that, from a biological viewpoint, every kobold is female (just as every kobold is also male), and so their biology is kind of screwed up.

This idea was further exaggerated by the fact that, well, kobolds are the Mad Scientist race, as you said; I'm growing increasingly convinced that a tiefling style "variable racial traits" approach might be the best idea for handling them, at least in the Malebolge. Mutations run rampant through the kobold tribes, which is why you have kobolds with superior strength rubbing shoulder with those who have gliding wings with those who can belch fireballs with those who can innately cast certain spells. When you add this to their existing biology, well, pseudo-breasts didn't seem that strange.

So, now that this is explained, does it justify them at all? Is there anything that can justify them better?

I will make a confession; I actually rather liked the lore of dragonborn in 4e being monotremes, and I'm considering if I shouldn't reappropriate that lore for kobolds (and thus dragonborn) in this setting too. It just further emphasizes, in my mind, that they aren't dragons anymore and that they probably never will be dragons again, which is why there are kobolds who have turned away from "The Great Pursuit". Of course, what I had in mind is that they're closer to actual monotremes; no nipples, just glands in the chest that ooze milk, and pseudo-breasts do help by making it possible for the hatchlings to suck the milk off.

On the herm aspect, you said that you're fine with it. Do you think the current setup, complete with slightly different genitalia arrangements, makes sense, emphasizing the "dragons forced into the humanoid mold" angle I've been trying to go with as the kobold's basis? Or do you think the hint of gender semblance should be removed, so all kobolds have femininely curved features, wide egg-laying hips, a seperate penile slit, and a cloaca, and they're effectively a unisexual race in appearance and in nature?

I could probably come up with more stuff to talk about, but I've gone on long enough and I want to avoid breaking this topic up whilst it's still in need of settlement.

I think that clearing things up would be as simple as putting a paragraph or two talking about the "New age" Kobolds, those who have accepted their lot in life, and decided to make the best of it, rather than cling to the Old Beliefs. Mention that some tribes view these pseudo-breasts as a sign of power and station, and maybe have one tribe that is all about War that actually removes the breasts from their bodies if they show up, to avoid them getting in the way.

On the biology, I am not sure the Hermaphrodite angle really says "Dragon", unless you dragons are also hermaphroditic. It more says to me that they are Biologically built to survive as a species. You mentioned there are "Primary fertilizers" and "Primary carriers". Does this mean that the secondary of each type can still accomplish those jobs, just not as well? Maybe a couple of Primary Carriers got stranded on an island at some point, and had to populate it alone.

To push the Dragon angle, maybe add more Dragon-ish mentalities. Hoarding, Lone Wolf hunting style, and a cultural need to be feared or respected. Of course, some are sure to deviate from that need, but the powerful ones in each tribe will most likely be the ones that were willing to do almost anything to reach that station.

On a cultural point, you might have a sort of fictitious "bible", written by those who are aiming to become dragons again. Stories about why they fell, at least one story of The Most Beleiving Kobold, who became a Dragon again through sheer power of belief.

QuietBrowser

First Post
I think that clearing things up would be as simple as putting a paragraph or two talking about the "New age" Kobolds, those who have accepted their lot in life, and decided to make the best of it, rather than cling to the Old Beliefs. Mention that some tribes view these pseudo-breasts as a sign of power and station, and maybe have one tribe that is all about War that actually removes the breasts from their bodies if they show up, to avoid them getting in the way.

I thought the gazetteer already mentioned the "New Agers" in general and the inferral that they are generally the ones who accept the pseudo-bosoms was kind of obvious... but, from what you folks are telling me, that's definitely one of the steps that I'll take when I get enough details together to rewrite the gazetteer.

On the biology, I am not sure the Hermaphrodite angle really says "Dragon", unless you dragons are also hermaphroditic. It more says to me that they are Biologically built to survive as a species.

The gazetteer actually does state that before the Black Dawn, dragons in this setting were hermaphrodites, which contributed to their being solo predators. I maybe should find some way to make it more prominent...

You mentioned there are "Primary fertilizers" and "Primary carriers". Does this mean that the secondary of each type can still accomplish those jobs, just not as well? Maybe a couple of Primary Carriers got stranded on an island at some point, and had to populate it alone.

Secondaries? Sure there are. Secondary "carriers" are called "Males" and secondary "fertilizers" are called "Females". Sorry, I wasn't sure if you were asking if there were secondaries or not.

Anyway, as I explained in more graphic detail a page back, all kobolds have a uterus with ovaries, and a penis with (internal) testes. The difference in "genders" is which set of organs is given more predominance in their anatomy. Females can still impregnate, males can still fall pregnant, it's just they are, as you ask, not quite as effective at the other role.

So, if you stranded two or more "male" kobolds on an island, they would found a thriving colony; somewhat slower compared to if you'd stranded a "male" and a "female", but as both can simultaneously impregnate their partner and carry eggs to term, the colony would grow fairly quickly. It would get rather inbred if it started from just two and no new kobolds came along, though.

Incidentally, yes, even a "male/female" coupling between kobolds can lead to both parties falling pregnant if they so desire. Kobolds aren't going to go extinct any time soon, even with all the odds stacked against them.

To push the Dragon angle, maybe add more Dragon-ish mentalities. Hoarding, Lone Wolf hunting style, and a cultural need to be feared or respected. Of course, some are sure to deviate from that need, but the powerful ones in each tribe will most likely be the ones that were willing to do almost anything to reach that station.

Ah, very good suggestions! Thank you so very much; that's definitely something I can work on improving in the kobold psychology section of the gazetteer.

On a cultural point, you might have a sort of fictitious "bible", written by those who are aiming to become dragons again. Stories about why they fell, at least one story of The Most Believing Kobold, who became a Dragon again through sheer power of belief.

Oooh! I seriously hadn't thought of an idea like that - they'd probably have different "versions" between different tribes but, seriously, that's a great idea!

Lanliss

Explorer
I thought the gazetteer already mentioned the "New Agers" in general and the inferral that they are generally the ones who accept the pseudo-bosoms was kind of obvious... but, from what you folks are telling me, that's definitely one of the steps that I'll take when I get enough details together to rewrite the gazetteer.

The gazetteer actually does state that before the Black Dawn, dragons in this setting were hermaphrodites, which contributed to their being solo predators. I maybe should find some way to make it more prominent...

Secondaries? Sure there are. Secondary "carriers" are called "Males" and secondary "fertilizers" are called "Females". Sorry, I wasn't sure if you were asking if there were secondaries or not.

Anyway, as I explained in more graphic detail a page back, all kobolds have a uterus with ovaries, and a penis with (internal) testes. The difference in "genders" is which set of organs is given more predominance in their anatomy. Females can still impregnate, males can still fall pregnant, it's just they are, as you ask, not quite as effective at the other role.

So, if you stranded two or more "male" kobolds on an island, they would found a thriving colony; somewhat slower compared to if you'd stranded a "male" and a "female", but as both can simultaneously impregnate their partner and carry eggs to term, the colony would grow fairly quickly. It would get rather inbred if it started from just two and no new kobolds came along, though.

Incidentally, yes, even a "male/female" coupling between kobolds can lead to both parties falling pregnant if they so desire. Kobolds aren't going to go extinct any time soon, even with all the odds stacked against them.

Ah, very good suggestions! Thank you so very much; that's definitely something I can work on improving in the kobold psychology section of the gazetteer.

Oooh! I seriously hadn't thought of an idea like that - they'd probably have different "versions" between different tribes but, seriously, that's a great idea!

Ah, apologies. I tend to skim when I read, so I probably missed the points you had in the Gazetteer.

I was asking if a pair of Males, or a pair of females, could populate an island, just as food for thought.

Another relevant question is Interbreeding. They were made to be similar to humans, so can they breed with humans?

Do they have favorite colors, or scale colors? Sorry if you already mentioned this too, but the Kobolds might have prioritized lists of the Dragon they want to become, from most to least, and built their lives around that. Maybe a Kobold that wants to be a White dragon would run away to the Frozen Tundra, and only eat food that it killed, then froze.

Those are the only questions i have for now, might have more later.

QuietBrowser

First Post
It's quite alright! I like talking about my ideas/visions in general, and it shows you're taking an interest.

Favorite scale colors? Not that I mentioned in the gazetteer, honestly; I hadn't considered that idea. Rarer colors like purple, orange, yellow or metallic may be more popular due to said rarity, though.

Interbreeding with humans? Well... I've been wringing my hands over whether or not to mention this, but in my personal "headcanon" for the setting, humans can basically mate successfully with any humanoid race, even non-mammalian ones. However, the results of such interbreeding depend on the species involved; some species produce full-fledged hybrids (half-elves and half-dwarfs, case in point), some species produce distinctive substrains due to the human blood (for example, a hypothetical halfling/human cross would produce "Strongheart" halflings, much like how Stout halflings and Tallfellow halflings are halfling/dwarf crosses and halfling/elf crosses respectively), and some species produce offspring that are functionally pureblood members of one species or the other, but with definite influence from their "outsider" parent.

So, yes, a blue-eyed, blonde human and a red-scaled, yellow-eyed kobold in the Malebolge could have children together. But the result of such a union would randomly be either a bigger, stronger kobold with blue eyes and yellow scales or a shorter and more delicate human with red hair and yellow eyes. This is a gross simplification, but it hopefully conveys the basic point; you'd get either a kobold or a human, in either case with some influence from its non-species parent. This is why "human sorcerer with the Kobold Blood origin" is a thing in this setting.

I'm just a little unsure of how much acknowledgement to give this aspect of the setting because, y'know, this is a serious world and not a magical realm. It's simply that I've enjoyed Pathfinder too much to be averse to acknowledging that sex and sexuality is a thing that happens in this world, alongside murder, torture and insanity.

Lanliss

Explorer
It's quite alright! I like talking about my ideas/visions in general, and it shows you're taking an interest.

Favorite scale colors? Not that I mentioned in the gazetteer, honestly; I hadn't considered that idea. Rarer colors like purple, orange, yellow or metallic may be more popular due to said rarity, though.

Interbreeding with humans? Well... I've been wringing my hands over whether or not to mention this, but in my personal "headcanon" for the setting, humans can basically mate successfully with any humanoid race, even non-mammalian ones. However, the results of such interbreeding depend on the species involved; some species produce full-fledged hybrids (half-elves and half-dwarfs, case in point), some species produce distinctive substrains due to the human blood (for example, a hypothetical halfling/human cross would produce "Strongheart" halflings, much like how Stout halflings and Tallfellow halflings are halfling/dwarf crosses and halfling/elf crosses respectively), and some species produce offspring that are functionally pureblood members of one species or the other, but with definite influence from their "outsider" parent.

So, yes, a blue-eyed, blonde human and a red-scaled, yellow-eyed kobold in the Malebolge could have children together. But the result of such a union would randomly be either a bigger, stronger kobold with blue eyes and yellow scales or a shorter and more delicate human with red hair and yellow eyes. This is a gross simplification, but it hopefully conveys the basic point; you'd get either a kobold or a human, in either case with some influence from its non-species parent. This is why "human sorcerer with the Kobold Blood origin" is a thing in this setting.

I'm just a little unsure of how much acknowledgement to give this aspect of the setting because, y'know, this is a serious world and not a magical realm. It's simply that I've enjoyed Pathfinder too much to be averse to acknowledging that sex and sexuality is a thing that happens in this world, alongside murder, torture and insanity.

It seems entirely fine to have this sort of thing, and maybe think of more depth. A Dwarf can breed with a human, and a Kobold can breed with a human. Can a Dwarf breed with a Kobold? If so, is it the same chance of success as a Human/Kobold pair, or is it less/more?

We're I in your shoes I would have a list for each race, of other races that it can breed with. Each point on the list would have a percentage chance of success next to it, and a few fractions with percentages next to them. For example,

Kobold Race entry

Can breed with
HUMAN, 25% success=25% 1:3, 50% 1:1, 25% 3:1

Meaning Humans and Kobold have a 1 in 4 chance of breeding successfully, and that pair has a 25% chance of producing offspring that is 1/4 Human, 3/4 Kobold, or vice versa, and a 50% chance of producing an even blend of genes.

On the scales question, I just brought it up as a culture point of view. If you went in that direction with them, you could have whole tribes of "Blue" Kobolds living in the desert, or "red" Kobolds living near a volcano, getting used to the life they plan to have once they become Dragons. Alternatively, you might have a blended city of Kobolds, filled with different colors and metals in a Cell-by-cell style, as each Kobold fills it's own living space with reminders of what it hopes to become.

QuietBrowser

First Post
Eh, I don't know that I'd go that far. I generally think of "human + X = either/or, X + Y = new species or subspecies" for things like that.

Hmm, that scale color idea is an interesting one. I definitely think I'll use that.

Also... I just looked at the Volo's Guide for kobold lore, and apparently, 5e canon is that kobolds can change sex spontaneously to "balance out" tribal gender ratios. So, my kobolds being simultaneous hermaphrodites really isn't that big a divergence anymore... :bemused expression:

Talking of Volo's Guide... It presents kobolds as being willing to cannibalize, in much he same way as Lizardfolk - they don't normally go out murdering people for food, but if they do kill to defend themselves, they don't usually see much point in "wasting meat". Given that Malebolge is a post-apocalyptic setting, do folks think that this is a cultural trait that makes sense?

Speaking of lizardfolk... do folks think I should give in to temptation and add them to the setting? I'm kind of seeing them as a less-successful but not disastrous kobold experiment; a true-breeding mutant strain of big "dumb" brutes that the kobolds mostly exploit for their size and ferocity. Think of... well, if you're familiar with Warhammer's Lizardmen, the kobolds are Skinks, the lizardfolk are Kroxigors/Saurus, and dragonborn are Slaan.

Lanliss

Explorer
Eh, I don't know that I'd go that far. I generally think of "human + X = either/or, X + Y = new species or subspecies" for things like that.

Hmm, that scale color idea is an interesting one. I definitely think I'll use that.

Also... I just looked at the Volo's Guide for kobold lore, and apparently, 5e canon is that kobolds can change sex spontaneously to "balance out" tribal gender ratios. So, my kobolds being simultaneous hermaphrodites really isn't that big a divergence anymore... :bemused expression:

Talking of Volo's Guide... It presents kobolds as being willing to cannibalize, in much he same way as Lizardfolk - they don't normally go out murdering people for food, but if they do kill to defend themselves, they don't usually see much point in "wasting meat". Given that Malebolge is a post-apocalyptic setting, do folks think that this is a cultural trait that makes sense?

Speaking of lizardfolk... do folks think I should give in to temptation and add them to the setting? I'm kind of seeing them as a less-successful but not disastrous kobold experiment; a true-breeding mutant strain of big "dumb" brutes that the kobolds mostly exploit for their size and ferocity. Think of... well, if you're familiar with Warhammer's Lizardmen, the kobolds are Skinks, the lizardfolk are Kroxigors/Saurus, and dragonborn are Slaan.

The cannibalism makes sense, especially as a "don't waste the meat" thing. On the Lizardmen, that could work out fine. Another route, just for giggles, could be that they actually have no connection to Kobolds or Dragonborn, and are sick of everybody assuming as much.

Remove ads