D&D 5E Is R.A. Salvatore's "Hero" the last Forgotten Realms book?

Xohar17

Explorer
If it is true then it seems like pretty bad news. Most companies are desperate for IP they can market and WotC can not even manage their flag ship brand properly which is a real shame.

You mean magic? Because THAT one is their flagship brand, earning them much much more revenue than D&D ever has

Inglorin

Explorer
So, the WotC Realms novels ending... how probable is the theory, that they would like to license of the Forgotten Realms Novels to another party?

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
So, the WotC Realms novels ending... how probable is the theory, that they would like to license of the Forgotten Realms Novels to another party?
Isn't that pretty much what they're already doing? Every author writing FR novels is pretty much a third-party. In any case, I don't think Wizards will relinquish any more control over FR now that it's the default setting.

But I do find this news strange. I can imagine them scaling back -- just like they've scaled back on published adventures -- but putting the kibosh on novels entirely...? Strange.

Inglorin

Explorer
Isn't that pretty much what they're already doing? Every author writing FR novels is pretty much a third-party. In any case, I don't think Wizards will relinquish any more control over FR now that it's the default setting.

If only the publication of a novel would only depend on the writer. They employ(ed?) editors, marketers and everyone else needed for these things.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
No, I mean Forgotten Realms. Magic is a completely different product and I dont even know if there are Magic novels or not.
There are tons

I think someone said it best when they said "Compared to how Magic sells, D&D is a rounding error"

Seriously Shasarak, it is not Mecheon's fault that your and our preferred IP is a bit player in a bigger company which is itself a niche subsidiary of a global entertainment corporation.

As to this decision, it is possible that they are ceasing the novel line because the movie was greenlit. The amount of revenue (that gets back to WotC/Hasbro) is negligible compared to the potential consequences of some bizarre event causing the new movie from moving from successful to unsuccessful (or the reverse). They just can't let author play around with their property for (I have no idea, let's say) a $100,000 revenue when there is a potentially $100 million movie on the line.

I mean, look at what Marvel is doing with their comics: Wolverine is dead and appears to be staying that way. There are no new mutant characters. All because Marvel doesn't own the movie rights to the mutant line and would rather grow name recognition for the Avengers and Guardians, etc. That, because movies are the main player and (like the RPG novels), the comics are a bit player.

Remove ads