Seeking Input on a Large Encounter Management Plan

doghead

thotd
Spoiler Warning: If you are one of my players, you will get to see this eventually. However, if you choose to read it now, it will give you a fair idea as to what is coming down the path. Its up to you.

I am running a Dungeon World game in which the characters are going to have to deal with a raid on a halfling town by scores of gnolls and goblins. The town consist most of halfling dwellings burrowed into scores of small hills. The town has no walls, but the dwellings themselves are reasonably fortified, so the idea is that the fighting will take place mostly in the spaces between the dwellings.

Rather than try and manage all the elements myself, I wanted to create something that would focus in on just the PC's and generate what is happening around them. As this is Dungeon World, the players will see this once the encounter starts and will make all of the rolls themselves.

Its still a bit basic, but I would really appreciate any input you might have.

The Battle Of Halfpoint

Moves: The following Battle Moves are available to you. Some can only be rolled when clear of enemies (the GM will tell you when you are). Anyone can make any move (although some have special conditions restricting when they can be used). Once you have made a Battle Move, you cannot make another until everyone else has made one.

Scout: (can only be rolled when clear of enemies)

Before anything else, roll 1d6 vs the Encounter table (see below)

Encounters (once an result has been rolled, it is scratched).
1. 1d6+3 Gnoll Hunters
2. 1d6 Gnoll Trackers
3. 1d6+3 Wolf'n'Riders
4. 1d6+9 Goblins
5. 1d6+1 Gnoll Hunters + 1d4+1 Gnoll Trackers
6. 1d6+8 Goblins + 1d6 Gnoll Hunters
7. Special 1
8. Special 2
9. Special 3

Then: Roll+WIS
10+ Choose Three
7-9 Choose One
6-

1. Overwatch (There is a place (near range) that can be used for ranged fighting without the risk of being of you being surprised.)
2. Surprise (enemy is surprised. You do not have to DD to close if they have reach or ranged weapons.)
3. Shock (Take +1 forward and +1 damage for your first attack).
4. Escape Route (you can withdraw to place clear of enemies any time).
5. Identify the Special.

Manoeuvre: (can be rolled during an engagement, but only when no one is holding from a previous Manoeuvre roll).
Roll+INT
10+ Hold Three
7-9 Hold One
6-

1. Surge (Take +1 on your next you melee attack)
2. Close Up (Gain +2 Armour so long as you do not melee attack)
3. Distract (Give one character surprise against an enemy of his choice)
4. Withdraw (Pull back to place clear of enemies.)

Allies: Choose either the foot soldiers or the crossbowmen.
Roll+CHA
10+ Spend one skill for an effect
7-9 Spend two skill for an effect
6-

Spearmen (Skill 6)
1. Defend (Take +1 Armour until their action changes.)
2. Press (Deal b[Skilld6+Skill] damage. Allocate as you wish.
3. Block (prevent the arrival of enemy allies)

Crossbowmen (Skill 6)
1. Attack (Deal 1d6+Skill damage to a ranged target. Allocate as you wish.
2. Supress (prevent ranged attacks from one enemy/group).
3. Block (prevent the arrival of enemy allies.

Bolster: (can only be done when clear of enemies)
Roll+CHA
10+ Restore 1d3+CHA bonus Skill to allies. Max 6.
7-9 Restore CHA bonus Skill to allies. Max 6.
6-​

On my phone, so this will be brief (but hopefully helpful).

What Ive done in these scenarios is the following:

1 - Give the players 2-4 cool, thematic moves that reflect their allies capabilities or the circumstances of the conflict.

2 - Give each a fictional trigger. If broad, then it exhausts after 1 use. If specific, then a few (2-3) uses.

3 - Have maybe 6 rough scenes (large scale with interesting locales/terrain/enemies and that have a clear goal beyond "deplete all bad guy HPs") that require some form of resolution. Obviously have Front-related info codified as needed.

4 - Frame the PCs right into the action based on their debut larations/choices in the lead-up.

5 - Let play snowball from there. You may use some, none, or all of (3) above. You may have to fully adl-lib follow up scenes from the initially framed scene. If you want to deploy (3), but aren't sure which, roll d6.

hope that helps.

doghead

thotd
It does indeed. Once again, thanks for the input.

It took me a couple of reads to get my head around it. I am not sure that I quite know how to incorporate it into this encounter. Or perhaps more accurately, how to rework the encounter to utilise it. That said, it almost immediately gave me a feel for how another potential encounter might run.

Your comment about avoiding a HP grind was spot on. The problem had occurred to me as well after posting it.

Lots to think about.

thotd

[MENTION=8243]doghead[/MENTION] , here is a little bit more explanation:

1 - Give the players 2-4 cool, thematic moves that reflect their allies capabilities or the circumstances of the conflict.

2 - Give each a fictional trigger. If broad, then it exhausts after 1 use. If specific, then a few (2-3) uses.

Example:

Pressed On All Sides

When "so-and-so town leader in your game" is pressed hard in the thick of a swarm of enemies, roll +CHA: 10+ they plant their standard and hold 3. 7-9 They get off some words of encouragement and rally, hold 1. While their allies face the threat, spend hold, 1-for-1, to grant a friend or follower one of these tags:

Stuff like-

Fearless: They stand fast and remain stable when they would otherwise hesitate, falter, or flee.
Relentless: They shake off an enchantment or other debilitating effect.
Heroic: An ally takes +1 to Defy Danger but can only get a 7-9 max.

So there is an example of a move of an NPC leader that the PCs can deploy. "so-and-so leader in your game" is pressed hard in the thick of a swarm of enemies is the fictional trigger. When/should that happen, any player can call it out and make that move.

3 - Have maybe 6 rough scenes (large scale with interesting locales/terrain/enemies and that have a clear goal beyond "deplete all bad guy HPs") that require some form of resolution. Obviously have Front-related info codified as needed.

I'd have a sort of starting point grid set up for the mass battle with 6-9 "encounter zones" (the above has 6). Zones are good because they contain discrete information that you can convey to the players and tightly/coherently organize play. Create a key for each grid. Zone stuff can bleed into an adjacent zone (certainly as play snowballs), but having a siloed starting ground is helpful. Show the grid and key to the players so they distinctly understand what they're dealing with and can make informed moves based off the big picture.

Roughly flesh out the Front and Steading related threat/conflict info, the terrain, and what is at stake/the goals of each encounter zone. What does success earn the PCs? What is the fallout on the immediate combat (and the overall story) of failure? What happens without PC intervention?

This shouldn't be burdensome from a prep perspective. NPC info, relevant tags and terrain and a few sentences for context and ramifications.

PCs can move from "zone" to "zone" with Defy Danger.

4 - Frame the PCs right into the action based on their action declarations/choices in the lead-up.

Just like it sounds. The PCs have made their preparations along with the NPCs. What "zone" are they starting in (perhaps there is a preparation move that they make - mechanically much like a Spout Lore - where the PCs have worked up some fortifications or tactical maneuver)? The raiders are coming...soon to be upon them.

5 - Let play snowball from there. You may use some, none, or all of (3) above. You may have to fully ad-lib follow up scenes from the initially framed scene. If you want to deploy (3), but aren't sure which, roll d6.

That is just Dungeon World 101!

I hope that all makes sense.

Remove ads