Playstation VR

Janx

Hero
the dangerous ledge effect happens so rarely to me in games like Skyrim or Minecraft, probably because of that separation from what I see vs. the couch.

I look forward to trying to your system out. right now there's a spot of bother with crossing this small puddle between us. Apparently my car does not float. :)

Azurewraith

Explorer
I tried Batman: Arkham VR today. Wow.

It's not perfect (occasional calibration glitches) but it's the most immersive video game experience I've ever had. It's short, about an hour long, and I played through it in one sitting. A handful of scenes where you have to do detective work - no fighting or anything.

I also tried London Heist. Again, really immersive. It's really hard not to just start walking off in random directions - the sense of being there is that immersive. I picked up a cigar, lit it, smoked it. You can pick up objects and documents and rotate them in your hand naturally.

The main issue with these games is the whole walking around stuff. On the other hand, I found picking stuff up and pressing buttons and shooting all super intuitive. Reloading my gun in London Heist meant actually picking up a magazine in one hand, and physically putting it into the gun which was in the other hand. After the first time - which was more "huh? really? I just *do* it?" it's really natural.

This is all first gen stuff of course. Give it a year or two and it's going to be fantastic. The main issue, as I mentioned earlier, is the walking around. The Batman game solved that by having locations you can point to and just go to without actually walking there, which was fine for a slow paced detective game like that. Driving games where you stay seated will be a perfect fit.
Sounds really cool, never been much of a early adopter worried about kinks and glitches etc. I know its early but VR fad or future?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm personally finding the Playstation Move Controllers aren't *quite* as good as I'd like them to be - it's occasionally a little off on the tracking. Generally, I think that's because of my lounge - there are other light sources which throws the system off a little. It looks like you need to make sure the controller lights are by far the brightest lights in the room to ensure accuracy.

That said, when they work, they work. For the first minute or so it's mildly awkward, but you soon forget you're using them and start reaching out for things naturally, picking them up, manipulating them.

During the Batman game there was a bit where I had to physically put together about five different fragments together in a little 3D puzzle to reconstruct an explosive device. I was literally holding pieces, turning them round in the air, inserting them into each other, etc. It was a simple puzzle - took about 3 minutes - but it worked really well.

In London Heist, to reload a gun, you literally pick up the new magazine and insert it into the gun. You don't press a reload button, you physically reload.

During Batman, I had three items of equipment about my person. On my right hip was my grapple gun, on my left hip was a scanning device, and on my front was by batarangs. To use equipment, you literally have to take them from that spot on your body. When you're finished, you physically put it back there. (That said, the batarangs tracking was a little odd - basically as long as you approximately threw it in the right direction, it hits; I guess it's a puzzle game and they don't want to slow things down with you spending 30 mins trying to hit the button on the wall with your batarang). I did enjoy just randomly picking items up and throwing them around the room just for giggles.

Janx

Hero
I have this vision of Morrus with a blind fold on, blindly picking up objects and throwing them about the room, while giggling hysterically.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
the dangerous ledge effect happens so rarely to me in games like Skyrim or Minecraft, probably because of that separation from what I see vs. the couch.

I look forward to trying to your system out. right now there's a spot of bother with crossing this small puddle between us. Apparently my car does not float. :)

Ironically, the plane ticket is probably more than the system.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
When you fall over playing air hockey in a VR sports bar because you tried to lean on a table that isn't actually there...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases