We need help with spam banning

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Spambots these days are usually a step ahead of whatever automated features get developed to block them. Half the time, they simply outsource human verification to large rooms of people who simply solve Catchpas, answer human verification questions, or solve little puzzles all day. The only definite defence is to (a) not get noticed and added to the spammers lists [too late for us!]; or (b) have robust and constant human monitoring 24/7 to catch, delete, and ban them.

Our primary spambuster, [MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION], does a wonderful job. But there are 24 time zones on this little planet of ours, and people have jobs and families. So what's needed is a team of spambusters covering the whole day.

If you are on EN World a lot, we would love your help. I'd like to give a few trusted people the ability to spamban. This is a fairly powerful ability - in one click it bans someone, deletes everything they ever did, and reports their IP to an international spam database, effectively banning them from forums worldwide who use that database. So you have to be sure it's a spambot you're hitting.

Anyone up for helping us with this? It just means using the boards as you usually would, but when you see a spambot, you spamban it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It is almost as easy as responding to a thread, and sometimes it is hilariously funny.

(OK...maybe I'm easily amused.)

Rune

Once A Fool
[MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION], how much of your time would you say you spend banning bots? In a day, for instance?

I wouldn't mind helping. And though I'm on most everyday, I'm not on for all that long. though I have reported a couple spam bots in the last few weeks so I might be able to reduce the load on your other spambanners, but probably not by much.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
[MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION], how much of your time would you say you spend banning bots? In a day, for instance?

In aggregate? Hmmmm...if I'm hanging out on ENWorld, I don't really notice, since I check every time I go to the "All Discussions" page.

Once there, I can ban multiple spammers as fast as I can scroll through the page, check little checkboxes, make a couple menu selections, and type " Spammer" in one window. 2 minutes? A few more if they're being more subtle.

Nuking spammers who post in others' threads or send spam PMs takes more time, since they're hidden in little corners of the site. That may take a couple minutes per post.

I'd say 20 minutes, spread out over a day's visit is typical.

Occasionally, we do get a swarm of spammers, and that can be bad. My worst evening, I spent an hour of continuous, concentrated effort and nuked over 50 myself, each having started 5-20 threads*. As I recall, it was after midnight, CST, so most of the American staff was sleeping, and Morrus had yet to pop in on his side of the Atlantic. IOW, it was just me.

THAT was a while ago, though. And it was an extreme outlier- more often than not, I bag 0-5 a day.

It's the IDing the targets that takes the time.

* when you ban a spammer, you can nuke all of their threads & posts simultaneously, but you still have to check names to make sure you're getting all and only spammers.

Rune

Once A Fool
* when you ban a spammer, you can nuke all of their threads & posts simultaneously, but you still have to check names to make sure you're getting all and only spammers.

How do you verify those names? And would the entire process be onerous using a smartphone instead of a desk/laptop?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1) Correction: I just banned an obvious spammer: it took less than 45 seconds.

2) Clarification: By "verification", all I mean is that you're making sure you're not missing spammers with similar names, nor spammers who have chosen names that look like they are legit, like an "Umdran", "Umbram" or "Umbrian" as opposed to "Umbran". Again, this only takes seconds...if you're paying attention- "Umbrian" will be a recently joined account with 1-50 posts as opposed to the real deal. But if you're quickly scanning names, your eyes could be deceived.

3) As for using a phone, 95%+ of my interactions on this site are via my iPhone or iPad, and I don't use Tapatalk.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The Welcome Thread has the unintended but useful side effect of being a nice little honey trap for spammers to announce themselves.

Rune

Once A Fool
I want to give back to the community that has given me so much over the last many years (18? Jeez, where does the time go?). Helping to keep this place uncluttered by spam is a worthy endeavor (and often thankless, I imagine--so, thank you). I am the type of person who may agonize just a little too much about whether a post is the obvious spam it appears to be or just a well-intentioned, grammatically illiterate new poster. Especially if the post lacks links (which, when they do, I have absolutely no intention of following in order to find out for sure).

As I said, I want to give back, but there might be periods where I can't contribute any time toward the effort. For instance, in a few hours, I'll be devoting all of my attention for the next 48 hours toward competing in this year's IRON DM championship match, followed by a nearly week-long trip. These kinds of things are outliers, but they are considerations, nonetheless.

Remove ads