Request: Reduce DM Award Gold

Dracoprimus

First Post
considering that to get to that point, the player had to DM several games, providing a game for 3+ players each time, they've earned being that well off. If the other player feel outclassed, they can DM a few games, lots of venues are in need of more DMs.

rooneg

Adventurer
As an RC I can confirm what the posters above have said. The rules in the ALDMG are only for the hardcovers (which lack specific DM rewards).

P7 of the PHB always applies - Specific trumps general. If a specific adventure lists a reward - that is the reward you get (this applies to PCs as well in the case of the new DT and Renown that is awarded for every 2/4 hrs played)

FWIW, I'm fine with that, but if it's the case it should really be worded so it's clear that it's specifically referring to adventures that don't include their own rules. It's easy to misinterpret, especially if misinterpreting it gets you 2-3x the reward ;-)

(I'd also recommend that subsequent seasons just retcon the old awards to match the new ones, since it's kind of pointless to leave them so stupidly low, but that's a separate issue.)

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
With the new faction document allowing characters of sufficient renown to purchase magic items with gold, I feel that this request has gained increased urgency and should be considered by the AL staff as part of the next season update.

--
Pauper

Pathkeeper24601

First Post
With the new faction document allowing characters of sufficient renown to purchase magic items with gold, I feel that this request has gained increased urgency and should be considered by the AL staff as part of the next season update.

--
Pauper

Considering you can't get Faction or do Special Missions through DMing, I would say those Magic items are safe. Also, the while the DM may start with some extra gold at the beginning, regular PC will still outpace this at the higher tiers.

rooneg

Adventurer
Considering you can't get Faction or do Special Missions through DMing, I would say those Magic items are safe. Also, the while the DM may start with some extra gold at the beginning, regular PC will still outpace this at the higher tiers.

You can get secret missions via DMing, just not via DMing normal mods. A secret mission for your character does come along with the Epic DM quest. Agreed though, it's not like the ways to get the equivalent of a secret mission via DMing are growing on trees or something. Realistically, if you want to unlock level 3 in the factions you're going to need to play.

You can get secret missions via DMing, just not via DMing normal mods. A secret mission for your character does come along with the Epic DM quest. Agreed though, it's not like the ways to get the equivalent of a secret mission via DMing are growing on trees or something. Realistically, if you want to unlock level 3 in the factions you're going to need to play.

The Epic DM quest seems like an extreme outlying case, IMHO. I haven't seen DM gold being an unstable effect in my experience. I also don't accept player resentment as a reasonable cause to reduce DM rewards - if someone wants those rewards they can put in the work to get them, just like DMs do.

rooneg

Adventurer
The Epic DM quest seems like an extreme outlying case, IMHO. I haven't seen DM gold being an unstable effect in my experience. I also don't accept player resentment as a reasonable cause to reduce DM rewards - if someone wants those rewards they can put in the work to get them, just like DMs do.

Oh, just to clarify, I totally agree with you. Honestly, any DM with sufficient rewards to be unbalancing due to these new faction downtime activities is also probably able to get their magic item shopping list completed via Dedicated DM rewards anyway, and I haven't found that to be a real issue in practice. The sort of people with a ton of Dedicated DM rewards also tend to be the sort of people who know better than to abuse it.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I don't see how the DM award gold is an issue. There's relatively few things you can spend gold on in 5e. After 10th level most characters have several thousand gold with nothing to spend it on except healing potions and expensive spell components.

The new faction options are barely an issue. Getting a +1 weapon or armor plus 1 or 2 faction specific items just allows you get stay on par with characters who can play more often, it's not game breaking.

DM award gold is a non-issue. DM's awarding items from modules they've run to their characters has a much greater impact. (and even then, I don't think it's a big deal.)

rczarnec

Explorer
I don't see how the DM award gold is an issue. There's relatively few things you can spend gold on in 5e. After 10th level most characters have several thousand gold with nothing to spend it on except healing potions and expensive spell components.

Ships. It is all about buying bigger and bigger ships.

Remove ads