Divine Crusader and extra spell feat or Spell Knowledge epic feat

Nezkrul

First Post
If my epic character with Divine Crusader levels takes either the extra spell feat or the spell knowledge epic feat, could he: 1. pick any cleric spells, 2. pick only spells that appear on domain spell lists, 3. only pick spells that appear on his deity's domain spell lists, 4. not pick those feats?

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
If my epic character with Divine Crusader levels takes either the extra spell feat or the spell knowledge epic feat, could he: 1. pick any cleric spells, 2. pick only spells that appear on domain spell lists, 3. only pick spells that appear on his deity's domain spell lists, 4. not pick those feats?

Which is it, extra spell or spell knowledge?

You may only take Spell Knowledge if you are an arcane caster. Since Divine Crusader casts divine spells, your Epic character would need to be maximum level in some other class that provides Arcane Spells in order to take Spell Knowledge. Spell Knowledge would allow you to learn two new spells from the spell list of the arcane class which was the prerequisite for Spell Knowledge. For Extra Spell, I think the closest answer to your list of options is #4. You probably can't pick this feat (unless you are also a 17th or 18th level arcane caster), and if you can, it doesn't interact with Divine Crusader.

Extra Spell grants one of your classes which you are at least a 3rd level caster (effective caster level) an additional spell known from the same list of spells known which is available to that class. For example, you can't use it to give 'cure light wounds' to a sorcerer. Extra Spell doesn't interact usefully with Divine Crusader. You only have one spell of each level on your class spell list, and you already automatically gain knowledge of that spell. There are no valid spells not known to you to take for the class. So, this case is most like #3 - only pick spells that appear on this deity's domain spell list. However, since you already automatically know those, it doesn't help you.

Nezkrul

First Post
assume Spell Knowledge prereq is altered to include divine casters as well (because Archivist exists) and you pick a class to add the spells to.

Could I pick: any divine spells, just cleric spells, just spells on a domain somewhere, just spells on a domain the character's deity can grant?

You can take this feat with Warmages, the author of that class even said so in an article about the epic warmage.

Celebrim

Legend
assume Spell Knowledge prereq is altered to include divine casters as well (because Archivist exists)...

Ok, we can assume that... it won't be true, but we can assume that for whatever good it does.

I'm not sure what Archivist has to do with it. Archivist is a divine spellcasting class. It casts divine spells. It operates like a wizard in that it can add spells to its spellbook, but only if they are divine spells. It is thus able to with a little bit of cleverness add spells from any divine spell list, including divine spells that are normally only available on domain spell lists and so forth. But they are always divine spells, and the prerequisite is what it says it is: "Ability to cast spells of the maximum normal spell level of an arcane spellcasting class." Thus, being a 20th level Archivist wouldn't qualify you for this feat.

and you pick a class to add the spells to.

You cannot just pick a class to add the spells to. You must pick the class that you have already obtained the maximum normal spell level for that arcane (now divine) spellcasting class.

Could I pick: any divine spells, just cleric spells, just spells on a domain somewhere, just spells on a domain the character's deity can grant?

You can pick any spells that are on that classes class spell list.

You can take this feat with Warmages, the author of that class even said so in an article about the epic warmage.

Of course it "works" with Warmages. Warmages are an arcane spellcasting class. You'd have to be at least an 18th level Warmage, but it works with Warmages. The real question you are asking has nothing to do with whether Warmage meets the prerequisite, but whether it allows Warmages access to spells that aren't on their class spell list. I'm guessing that it does not, since none of the optimization handbooks are suggesting it for the Warmage, but instead are pointing to the usual suspects like Arcane Disciple, Runestaves, Rainbow Servant, etc. In general, a class is not able to cast spells that are not on its spell list. I don't know what article you are referring to. I can't find it online.

I'm pretty sure in order to do what you want, the wording of the feat would have to be different - something like: "Add two arcane spells of any level to your class spell list. Those spells are added to your list of known spells."

That said, you are trying to kludge into what sounds like a 3.5e game a 3.0e Feat, and so it doesn't sound like you are interested in rules so go ahead and make it work however you like. If you want "Spell Knowledge" to allow you to add any spell from any class list and you want to ignore the prerequisites, go ahead.

Nezkrul

First Post
you're stuck on the feat being as written. i asked for advice if it was amended by the DM to inlude divine casters, his reasoning being so that epic archivists can take it to learn more spells. houserule. you again continue, what looks like to me, to bitch about how I can't do what I'm asking for adivce for.

So, instead of being a snobby ass like you are, how about you just help instead of whining about the rules?

Celebrim

Legend
So, instead of being a snobby ass like you are, how about you just help instead of whining about the rules?

You know, I don't see a lot of other people here trying to help you, so maybe I'm not the one that needs to swallow some pride. If you had explained that you wanted a homebrew feat from the beginning, instead of asking rules interpretation questions, you'd have got the answer you need with a lot less wordage.

i asked for advice if it was amended by the DM to inlude divine casters

No, you didn't, but if that is what you are asking:

Divine Knowledge [EPIC]
You have a deeper understanding of the power of the divine.
Prerequisite: You must have obtained high enough level to be able to cast spells of the maximum level allowed for by a divine spell-casting class.
Benefit: Pick a divine spell-caster class in which you have obtained sufficient level to cast spells of the maximum level allowed for by the class. Add two divine spells from any divine spell-caster class spell-list, which are equal to or less level than the maximum level of spells you can cast in that class, and add them to your class spell list as spells of the same level. Those spells are also added to your list of known spells.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times.

There. You now have a feat that does exactly what you want it to do. You will of course need to get permission from your GM to use this homebrew feat, which is why I normally consider it a waste of time to ask me for homebrew rules unless you are the DM in your campaign, but by and large the above feat is reasonably balanced considering its Epic and there are far more broken and abusable things in 3.5 that render that feat pointless.

Speaking of, this feat is a complete waste of a feat slot for an Archivist. An archivist can replicate this feat endlessly for the cost of just two scrolls, eventually adding all divine spells from all divine caster spell lists to his prayer book without needing to spend a valuable epic feat slot. And you can do this before 20th level.

Last edited:

Remove ads