Quick Clarification on valid Paladin Steeds.

kalani

First Post
The above mentioned mounts can always be selected when casting find steed. Additional mounts may be selected with DM permission. Expect table variation.

If you are ok with a player having a dire wolf mount, that is cool. However, players should not expect their DM to allow it just because they (or another DM) has allowed it in the past. Your player was not correct by saying you were out of line since the decision to allow additional mounts is left squarely in the hands of the DM.

MiraMels

Explorer
Thank you for the prompt response! As a follow up question, does this mean I can, for the purposes of AL, legally give a player permission to summon something not explicitly listed in the spell?

kalani

First Post
The spell states in its description that the DM may allow other options and I quote:

Appearing in an unoccupied space within range, the steed takes on a form that you choose, such as a warhorse, a pony, a camel, an elk, or a mastiff. (Your DM might allow other animals to be summoned as steeds)

The highlighted text gives DMs permission to allow alternative steeds - at their complete discretion. If you feel that a pegasus, unicorn, nightmare, hippogriff, griffon, dragon, etc would answer the call - then that creature answers the call, with one proviso.... Only creatures from the Monster Manual may be selected (creatures from other sources are not a player resource, and cannot be used for summoning spells at this time).

Kroad

First Post
There are also a couple of certed special mounts available via Fai Chens. The one I have is a Giant Hyena. I don't recall the others but there were definately others.

kalani

First Post
Certificates may provide additional options that is true - and if a character has a cert (eg. Steeder Mount from GenCon) they don't need DM permission for those mounts either providing the cert says it can be used for find steed​.

gyor

Legend
The spell states in its description that the DM may allow other options and I quote:

Appearing in an unoccupied space within range, the steed takes on a form that you choose, such as a warhorse, a pony, a camel, an elk, or a mastiff. (Your DM might allow other animals to be summoned as steeds)

The highlighted text gives DMs permission to allow alternative steeds - at their complete discretion. If you feel that a pegasus, unicorn, nightmare, hippogriff, griffon, dragon, etc would answer the call - then that creature answers the call, with one proviso.... Only creatures from the Monster Manual may be selected (creatures from other sources are not a player resource, and cannot be used for summoning spells at this time).

Volo's guide is a player resource, so any beast from that should be fine.

kalani

First Post
Jury is still out as to whether the monsters in Volo's Guide are available for spells/abilities (I have asked this question and am awaiting a response from the admins). Even in the case that it is a legal resource for summoning options, only players who choose Volo's Guide as their +1 book will be able to access it, and even then - beasts other than the ones specifically mentioned in find steed (or an official AL certificate such as the Steeder Mount cert) require DM permission

Remove ads