Ring Side Report-Board Game Review of Crazier Eights: Camelot

biotech66

Explorer
Originally posted at www.throatpunchgames.com, a new idea everyday!

Product-Crazier Eights: Camelot
Producer- James Gray
Price- $9 here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/recoculous/crazier-eights-camelot
Set-up/Play/Clean-up- 60-360 minutes (2-4 players)
Type- American
Depth-LightTL; DR-Fluxx and Crazy Eights! 92%
IMG_20161103_090132.jpg
Basics- Need a lightweight game, but also need a bit of depth? Crazier Eights: Camalot is an awesome mix of the simplicity of Crazy Eights and Fluxx. Each player starts with eight cards. Then on a player's turn, they draw a card. That player can play a card and discard a card that matches to top card of the discard pile either in suit, number, or an eight. The cards players play range from effects which are one time events that might cause a player to draw cards to assets that are permanent things in play that might destroy other assets, cause a player to draw a card, or even change how the game ends. Then, the next player goes. The game ends when a player gets to zero cards and wins, an asset makes that player the winner, or there is only one person left. Long live the king!

Mechanics-I like the simplicity of Uno and the zannynes of fluxx. This game is both. It’s fast, simple (you just learned all the rules above), and easy to play. My wife and I learned this game in the time it takes to order at Outback, and had player a full game before the appetizers came! It also fits in a pocket, so it’s a blast all around. 4.75/5

Theme-The game doesn’t have perfect theme, but for a simple card game it’s about as much as I can ever hope for. The cards do semi-appropriate things for the name and art on the card. It’s hard to symbolize the holy grail in Uno, but this game does the theme enough justice to keep it going. The game also has some great art, so that always helps theme. 4.5/5

Instructions-The instructions are one page, front and back. I had a review copy, so there may be more pictures in the normal game, but it's enough to get the point across. I will admit something here, I never learned Crazy Eights as a kid! But, this game taught me how to play and added on its own crazier rules, so that speaks well of the rules as written. 4.5/5

Execution-I like what I see here. The art on the cards is good. The cards layout is nice, and the cards are not to wordy. I’d like the cards to be a bit thickers, but overall, it’s a well put together game. 4.5/5

Summary-You read my deep confession before, so this game should tell you how well done it is. I like its simple nature, the rules work well, and the art and theme tie things together. It’s not perfect, but the flaws are few and far between. I think the fluxx comparison is a good one. It doesn’t have the humor of Fluxx, but the serious art drives home the theme and keeps me in the game. And for 10 bucks, you can’t lose on this one. 92%

Remove ads