Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets Official Trailer - Teaser

Ryujin

Legend
It looks promising. Definitely that same Euro-sci-fi feel that the 5th Element had. Which is expected, considering the source material and director.

When you consider how simple the story actually is and how trite the ending, it's remarkable how amazing that movie is. Proof that it's as much in the storyTELLER, as it is in the story itself. I'm looking forward to this.

Totally. A good deal of what made the 5th Element so grand comes down to the film’s style.

When you consider how simple the story actually is and how trite the ending, it's remarkable how amazing that movie is. Proof that it's as much in the storyTELLER, as it is in the story itself. I'm looking forward to this.

Kaodi

Hero
As I moved through my twenties the idea of teenaged protagonists definitely became less and less appealing. The way society is these days it is easily believable for a 24-26 year old to be "out of touch with themselves" enough to be the primary source of character development in a plot. And yet, at the same time, they are old enough to understand why the people older than them are so jaded. Or something like that. 30 is the new 20, blah, blah, blah...

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Trust me, 30 ain't the new 20. 20 is still 20, and 30 is still very different from that. Society has relaxed on the idea of people "acting their age", but mostly because that notion has always been complete and utter nonsense with no basis in reality. :D Some folk figure life, and themselves, out quicker than others. That's just the way it is.

Folks who tell you different just have bad memories. ;)

I still don't see how I'm supposed to think those two are teenagers? Are they in the source material? They look no more baby faced than the 23 year olds I work with.

Mallus

Legend
OK. So it looks beautiful. My one concern is a large part of The Fifth Element's success came from the people starring in it. Chris Tucker and Gary Oldman chowing down on the scenery, Bruce Willis putting in a fine Bruce Willis performance, even Milla Jojovich acting the hell of out Leeloo's adorable oddness. We didn't get another big-budget, SF FX-extravaganza with as much personality until Guardians of the Galaxy.

I don't see a lot of that in the teaser trailer. Then again, it's probably wrong to expect to.

Ryujin

Legend
OK. So it looks beautiful. My one concern is a large part of The Fifth Element's success came from the people starring in it. Chris Tucker and Gary Oldman chowing down on the scenery, Bruce Willis putting in a fine Bruce Willis performance, even Milla Jojovich acting the hell of out Leeloo's adorable oddness. We didn't get another big-budget, SF FX-extravaganza with as much personality until Guardians of the Galaxy.

I don't see a lot of that in the teaser trailer. Then again, it's probably wrong to expect to.

I pulled the list of actors in the active IMDB list for this movie. Some promising names there, many of whom are known for "chewing the scenery" on occasion.

Cara Delevingne
Dane DeHaan
Ethan Hawke
Rihanna
Bubble
Clive Owen
John Goodman
Rutger Hauer
Kris Wu
Mathieu Kassovitz
Emilie Livingston
Alexandre Nguyen
Sam Spruell
Herbie Hancock
Diva Cam
Sand Van Roy

Hussar

Legend
Trust me, 30 ain't the new 20. 20 is still 20, and 30 is still very different from that. Society has relaxed on the idea of people "acting their age", but mostly because that notion has always been complete and utter nonsense with no basis in reality. :D Some folk figure life, and themselves, out quicker than others. That's just the way it is.

Folks who tell you different just have bad memories. ;)

I still don't see how I'm supposed to think those two are teenagers? Are they in the source material? They look no more baby faced than the 23 year olds I work with.

Watched the trailer again on a screen bigger than my iPhone. yeah, these folks aren't quite as young as I thought they were. My bad.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

Min trusting Delavigne on this one. She's a damn good actress, and it looks like her and the dude I've never heard of next to her do a lot of acting with their faces in this, which I always see as a good sign.

Ryujin

Legend
Min trusting Delavigne on this one. She's a damn good actress, and it looks like her and the dude I've never heard of next to her do a lot of acting with their faces in this, which I always see as a good sign.

Dane DeHaan played Andrew Detmer, one of the lead characters in one of the few actually good "found film" genre movies "Chronicle."

ccs

41st lv DM
About the only quibble I have, and I admit I have not seen anything about the graphic novel, is that I'm kinda sick of the YA fiction genre. Why do so many SF stories have to have a couple of plucky kids out to save the world? We've had that trope rather a lot in the last few years.

$$$

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases