GREYHAWK, THE GOLDEN ERA CY963: CHAPTER THREE

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
The Party is Introduced to Bellthaque LeGrande.

Respen said:
And with that, Respen walks over to the fellow and very non-threateningly and politely introduces himself, "Well met, Sir. As I am obviously an elf, I couldn't help overhearing you with the barmaid. I understand you are a merchant who knows his way about this half of the world, based on the little I know of the distance between Wintershiven and Kalmir. Forgive me. I intend no intrusion or disrespect, Sir. I also heard you say that you are a purveyor of gems and jewelry. Might I inquire as to your fees for appraisal? Indeed, are you only familiar with gems and the like?"

The man smiles warmly, and gives you a firm handshake. "Pleased to meet you. You are not intruding, nor being disrespectful. My business relies on word of mouth. My name is Bellthaque LeGrande. I am indeed a master jeweler and gemcutter, although I also dabble in textiles, especially men and women's formal attire, large rugs, and tapestries. I also deal in non-gemstone jewelry, such as seashells, and colored glass beads, for those who want to look good on a budget. And lastly, I of course carry any item you would want to mount into, i.e., necklaces, rings, pendants, etc., made from a variety of materials, ranging from leather cords (for necklaces,) to brass bracelets, to gold rings, and everything in-between. My appraisal fees depend upon the item; the more valuable the item, the higher the fee, although if you decide to sell to me, I will waive the fee as a courtesy. What is it that you'd like me to appraise?"

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen & LeGrande

The man smiles warmly, and gives you a firm handshake. "Pleased to meet you. You are not intruding, nor being disrespectful. My business relies on word of mouth. My name is Bellthaque LeGrande. I am indeed a master jeweler and gemcutter, although I also dabble in textiles, especially men and women's formal attire, large rugs, and tapestries. I also deal in non-gemstone jewelry, such as seashells, and colored glass beads, for those who want to look good on a budget. And lastly, I of course carry any item you would want to mount into, i.e., necklaces, rings, pendants, etc., made from a variety of materials, ranging from leather cords (for necklaces,) to brass bracelets, to gold rings, and everything in-between. My appraisal fees depend upon the item; the more valuable the item, the higher the fee, although if you decide to sell to me, I will waive the fee as a courtesy. What is it that you'd like me to appraise?"

[sblock="Gemstone Inventory"]

All Gems in small pouch: 1 Polished Amber; 1 Bloodstone; 1 Black Opal (extremely rare); 4 diamonds; 3 rubies - .625 lb.
Jeweler offer:
Amber = 70 gold
Bloodstone = 25 gold
Black Opal = 975 gold if Vega kisses him again
4 diamonds and 3 rubies = cannot afford; worth small fortune. Charges 700 gold (100 gold ea.) to appraise value.
If trade him Black Opal, he'll waive the charge, and give you the difference 23 platinum

[/sblock]

"My friends and I have may have acquired some gemstones we might wish to have appraised, and perhaps purchased. The downside, quite frankly, is that gemstones are excellent ways to transport value without being weighed down by more ordinary currency. So I couldn't necessarily assure you that we'd be able to sell them, but perhaps if your offer is tempting, we could be persuaded to part with them and suffer the extra encumbrance. I don't mean to be cagey. It's a bit of a group decision. However, I'd be happy to show them to you. A moment please...."

"Syl, Dewydd, would you come over? I'd like to introduce you to Mr. LeGrande, travelling merchant and purveyor of things precious and shiny. Perhaps he might assist us in valuation of a little treasure, not to mention provide us a valuable contact in the future. Mr. LeGrande, would you be more comfortable in a private setting, or is our present locale suitable to conduct our business?"

Sylvar B.

Explorer
While Respen is introducing himself to Mr. LeGrande, Sylvar casts detect magic at Mr. LeGrande. After Respen and Mr. Legrande have exchanged pleasantries and Respen asks Syl and Dewydd to come over Sylvar walks over concentrating on holding the spell until the very last possible moment. Its a pleasure to meet you Mr. LeGrande, Sylvar says with an outstretched hand. My name is Sylvar Belanor, Bard and Adventurer. Its a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
OOC: Lathir would still be outside the city, at this point, waiting on the party to gather outside to continue with its original plan.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Sylvar's Checks:

To Cast Detect Magic w/o Somatics Being Seen:
Sleight of Hand (Opposed Roll)
Result =14

To Cast Detect Magic in a low tone of voice:
Move (lips) Silently (Opposed Roll)
Result = 25

To Cast Detect Magic in an awkward fashion (on the "down low") w/o messing up:
Concentration (DC = 10 + Spell Level = DC 10)
Result = 23 (Success)

Bell's Checks:

To Spot Sylvar's Somatics (DC 14):
Result = 1 (Fail)

To Hear Sylvar's Verbalizing (DC 25):
Result = 1 (Fail)

GM:
It should be noted that you don't cast Detect Magic "at" anyone; you cast it on yourself, and it's a cone-shaped emanation which starts at your position.

While Bellthaque is distracted, Sylvar casts Detect Magic; Sylvar is able to get to the 2nd round (12 seconds) of detection before being forced to break concentration to shake Bellthaque's hand. Bellthaque does not seem to have noticed Sylvar's actions.

GM:
2nd Round: Number of different magical auras and the power of the most potent aura.

There are 4 auras:

1. His hat.
2. A ring on his left hand (ring finger.)
3. His cloak (strongest aura; Strong Transmutation.)
4. A pouch on his belt.

Respen said:
"Mr. LeGrande, would you be more comfortable in a private setting, or is our present locale suitable to conduct our business?"

LeGrande (To Respen): "Here's fine. I can appraise and make offers, and if those offers are accepted, I can step outside, and tell Bardan to bring in the money box."

[Everyone: What do you do?]

Last edited:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
LeGrande (To Respen): "Here's fine. I can appraise and make offers, and if those offers are accepted, I can step outside, and tell Bardan to bring in the money box."

OOC:
Respen's Spot Roll (opposed) to Sylvar's Detect Magic spell: 1d20+9 = 29
Success!
Respen's Listen Roll (opposed) to Sylvar's Detect Magic spell: 1d20+9 = 11
Fail!

Respen notices Sylvar's casting and is fully aware of it. He can't hear the spell itself, as Sylvar is whispering. Without blinking an eye, he finishes his introductions, and he takes a seat across from Bellthaque and removes the gemstones acquired from Vaelik from their small pouch.

OOC:
1 Polished Amber
1 Bloodstone
1 Black Opal (extremely rare)
4 diamonds
3 rubies

He is careful with remaining private while discussing the value of the stones or their disposition.

"Mr. Bellthaque, we'd like your opinion on these gems as to the general worth and whether and to what end you'd purchase them. We have an offer from the local jeweler. Without disparaging him at all, we'd enjoy a 2nd opinion from someone with a wider and deeper reach of precious and semi-precious stones. Again, we do not wish to vex ourselves with encumbrance unless it provides us more benefit to do so. Your thoughts, Sir?"

Diarmadhim

Explorer
"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance," I state upon hearing my name and move forward for proper introductions. "Dewydd Moresby," I introduce myself again, shaking his hand.

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar to Respen and Mr. LeGrande: I'll leave you two to negotiate, I'd much rather play my lute than involve myself in cumbersome business affairs. Sylvar walks back to the chair he was sitting in, picks up his lute and resumes mindlessly playing it. He appears to be mildly interested in the goings on at the table, however, after he sits down Sylvar begins using the detect thoughts spell,

OOC: in whatever manner is appropriate for its implementation :)

in order to determine LeGrande's true intentions. Given recent events Sylvar is more vigilant than usual and wants to know whether or not the LeGrande is planning on waylaying the party later.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Bellthaque's Offer

Dewydd steps in, and bargains on behalf of the party. When he is finished, Bellthaque says that he will give the party 1,514 platinum pieces for gemstones. (He's not interested in the amber or bloodstone at all.)

GM:
940 gp. for the black opal.

852 gp / 800 gp / 912 gp for the three rubies.

3,864 gp / 3,997 gp / 3,720 gp / 3,771 gp for the four diamonds.

Total offer = 15,136 gp. (1,513 pp., and 6 gp.) = Rounded up (as a courtesy) to 1,514 pp.

Or pay the 625 gp. appraisal fee.

GM:
Sylvar, you manage to cast your Detect Thoughts spell as part of the song you're playing. (He is completely unaware of what you are doing.) I will FB Message you the results.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen:
OOC:
All of the following should be common knowledge to relevant party members based on available information about the local jeweller's prices through general conversation over dinner prior to meeting with LeGrande. If maximising results is course of actions, sell bloodstone, polished Amber, and opal to local jeweller and the diamonds and rubies to LeGrande. The resultant payment from LeGrande is 14,196 gp. / 1420 pp. which will weigh 28.4 lbs. Jeweller pays better on Opal as well as will take amber and bloodstone for total 1070 gp. / 107 pp. which will weigh 2.14 lbs. Please indicate player agreement/disagreement with these transactions on the group FB thread; hence, we can get on with it.

Remove ads