GREYHAWK, THE GOLDEN ERA CY963: CHAPTER THREE

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Nodding, I reply, "Very well Lieutenant. We will postpone our mission until the trial has concluded. I assumed we would be called upon as witnesses, I was just hoping a trial would be sooner rather than later - especially considering the circumstances of the crime taking place within the guard. If it will take longer, than so be it. It will give me the additional time I desired to research some personal interests. Thank you for offering the service of identifying these items, it is appreciated." Seeing the ten guardsmen run out after the situation has passed I chuckle and grin, "Sorry gentlemen! We already handled the light work. Care to have an extra hand with the cleanup?"

When Respen hands me the formal letters of transfer that were kept in the chest, I nod in thanks, "Before we forget due to all the excitement, Sheriff Denby entrusted us to deliver these to you," I state, handing the Lieutenant the package. I nod my welcome when the Lieutenant thanks us. I then lend a hand with the cleanup however I can, even scrubbing bloodstains on the cobbles if that is what needs to be done.

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
GM: Loot that is fair game:
Full Plate Armor [Faint Abjuration]
Mithril Heavy Shield [Moderate Abjuration]
Flail [Moderate Evocation]
3 Masterwork Throwing Axes
Belt [Moderate Transmutation]
Black Silk Cloak [Faint Abjuration]
Gauntlet [Moderate Transmutation]
Ring [Strong Transmutation]
Ring [Strong Abjuration]
3 Milky White Potions [Faint Transmutation]
2 Blue Potions [Faint Evocation]
3 Dirty Brown Potions [Faint Transmutation]
Bracers [Faint Abjuration]
Ring [Faint Abjuration]
Ring [Faint Transmutation]
Masterwork Quarterstaff
Masterwork Dagger
Ring [Moderate Abjuration]
Amulet [Moderate Abjuration]

Everyone: What do you do?
Lathir looks over the collected items and then addresses the members of the group -
Gentlemen and Lady, once we have been made aware of the identity of these items, I too would like to be considered in their partitioning, especially if anything may aide my craft or my limited physical stature.

In the mean time, I need to depart these walls and take some respite in my more natural element. I will return later. Do you yet know where you will be staying
?

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
The Battle at Twilight

As another day draws to a close, the party reflects upon recent happenings...

GM:

Patchwall 12, CY 693:

The party left Caltaran at 11:00 am.
The party arrives at the Dyvers gates at about 6:30 pm.
The party reached the garrison and had just finished tethering the horses and unloading the prisoner at 6:50 pm.
The battle took place at 6:51 pm. It lasted about 6-7 rounds, which is about 42 seconds; less than a minute, but we'll round up.
The battle concluded at 6:53 pm.
The guards come bumbling out of the barracks at 6:55 pm.
The sun set at 7:02 pm.
Therefore, this battle shall henceforth be known as "The Battle at Twilight." :D

Lieutenant Benquist offers to pay for rooms for the party to sleep in for the night, at the inn across from the Eastern garrison gate. That way, the party can save itself the 45 minute walk back to Moresby Hall.

GM:
For expediency, I am assuming that the party agrees to this. That way I won't have to roll night time encounters for the trip back to Dewydd's manor.

Vega jokingly says, "Yesterday at this time, we'd just finished digging several graves, and were headed back to the inn in Caltaran, just as the sun was setting. Today, we've just finished fighting an intense battle, and are headed to another inn, here in Dyvers; and the sun is setting as we speak. It seems that we really enjoy a hard day's work. We don't ever seem to quit until the sun sets! Ha ha."

GM:
This is not the end of the chapter, and we're not ready to switch threads yet. From now on, I am going to switch to a new thread after every 30 pages or so.

However, I do feel that it is time to award XP. So here we go:

Story Award: Each member 1,000 xp. for Berringer's safe delivery.

Story Award: Each member 1,000 xp. for protecting Beringer during the battle.

Combat Award: Each member 1,900 xp. for facing dire threats in combat.

Roleplaying Award: Each member 750 xp. for excellent roleplaying all around.

Individual XP Awards:

Sylvar: +250 xp. for the delightful ballad.

Lathir: +500 xp. for bravery, and for making me laugh.

Dewydd: +300 xp. for the awesome display of prowess in combat!

Kasnik: +300 xp. for the awesome display of prowess in combat!

Vega: +300 xp. for drawing first blood!

The party secures their belongings in their respective rooms, and then meets in the common room for supper. Just as the meal is winding down, at about 8:30 pm, the Court Wizard arrives, and approaches the party's table.

The Wizard says, "I was told that you fellows were in need of my services? My name is Terrence Tulane, and I am one of the Dyvers Court Wizards, working directly in the service of Lord Mayor Margull. I'm told that you need some items identified?"

Everyone: What do you do?

Diarmadhim

Explorer
"Yes, thank you ser Tulane. We have these items that need to be identified, if you don't mind. These are the items from today's event," I state while pointing at the pile of 'fair game' loot, "and these are some other items we could use identified from a previous... altercation. Do you care if I pick your brain while you work?" If allowed, I will go off with the Wizard and ask a variety of questions regarding battlefield magic and ways to protect and enhance oneself via magic.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Dewydd said:
"Do you care if I pick your brain while you work?" If allowed, I will go off with the Wizard and ask a variety of questions regarding battlefield magic and ways to protect and enhance oneself via magic.

Terrence Tulane Dyvers Court Wizard 001.jpg
Terrence Tulane, Dyvers Court Wizard

The Wizard, who is a balding, middle-aged man, in good physical shape, sporting a well-groomed, black beard, turns to Dewydd and says, "If I had a silver piece for every adventurer who wanted to trade spells with me, I'd be as rich as The Lord Mayor. Unless you've an extra 10,000 gold lying around, I'm not going to take you on as an apprentice; that being said, if you'd like, I can sell you a few scrolls from my personal collection, that you can then add to your spell book, and my fees for that are modest. However, as you might have guessed, it's against the law for me to sell you any attack spells; but protection and enhancement are perfectly fine. From the looks of you, you're in the middle of a career change, and probably still a novice, if you can cast spells at all. I'd be glad to show you a few basic things, to help you out. But before we begin, I notice that one of your fellows carries a staff that emanates powerful protective magicks; why haven't you asked him?"

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Once he has finished eating, Lathir stands from the table, nods to the wizard, then addresses the group.
If you will all excuse me, I am going to check on my animals and then for a stroll. I understand there is a nice park within these city walls.
OOC: Lathir does not return until morning. Finding the park a suitable substitute for the natural forest, he spends the night in contemplation and reflection. When he returns to meet the others for breakfast, he seems refreshed and renewed.

[sblock=OOC]Lathir leveled.[/sblock]

Diarmadhim

Explorer
"Well ser, you would find yourself a silver shy on this exchange. I wasn't asking to trade spells with you. Nor was I asking to be your apprentice. If you don't know about such things, simply stating such would be a far cry faster than that bloviation."

Aust Thale

Adventurer
View attachment 80703
Terrence Tulane, Dyvers Court Wizard

The Wizard, who is a balding, middle-aged man, in good physical shape, sporting a well-groomed, black beard, turns to Dewydd and says, "If I had a silver piece for every adventurer who wanted to trade spells with me, I'd be as rich as The Lord Mayor. Unless you've an extra 10,000 gold lying around, I'm not going to take you on as an apprentice; that being said, if you'd like, I can sell you a few scrolls from my personal collection, that you can then add to your spell book, and my fees for that are modest. However, as you might have guessed, it's against the law for me to sell you any attack spells; but protection and enhancement are perfectly fine. From the looks of you, you're in the middle of a career change, and probably still a novice, if you can cast spells at all. I'd be glad to show you a few basic things, to help you out. But before we begin, I notice that one of your fellows carries a staff that emanates powerful protective magicks; why haven't you asked him?"

~ Tulane? I don't recall this fellow's name, but perhaps he knows of Delbin Archanus. ~

Respen, to Tulane: "Because we are still early in our becoming acquainted. My friend Dewydd was likely unaware of it or perhaps vaguely aware of it, until you said something just now. Adventure appears to have brought us together, by goal, accident, or incident. We've not discussed arcane wizardry at length, battlefield or otherwise."

Respen looks over Tulane for a brief moment, and he removes the tube from his belt that holds the letters of introduction to the great mage of Greyhawk. "Mr. Tulane, might I have a word with you, then? I am seeking a Greyhawk wizard named Delbin Archanus, a resident of parts east of here. I have letters of introduction from my late uncle, Auror Taerwynel, mage of the Elven Yaenni Tribe from the Enllaves in Western Oerik. I would show them to you, if you could properly guide me to him, or as appears the custom in these parts, send a message ahead that I am seeking him. It is my hope that I shall train under his tutelage, or perhaps at least within his protection and indulgences, after I attend to promised business with these fine folks. I would be most grateful to you. "

"Indeed as well, we have these magic items that require identification. Careful, there are a couple of baubles here that appear to be dangerous or cursed."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Valuable Information Revealed!

Respen said:
Respen, to Tulane: "Because we are still early in our becoming acquainted. My friend Dewydd was likely unaware of it or perhaps vaguely aware of it, until you said something just now. Adventure appears to have brought us together, by goal, accident, or incident. We've not discussed arcane wizardry at length, battlefield or otherwise."

Tulane nods. "Ah, I see. Well, if you are to be long-term companions, it might behoove you all to have a private discussion with one another as to your individual talents and skill sets, so that you can form a cohesive team; I was an adventurer once. Groups that just kind of wing it don't last long. Each of you needs to know the skills and talents of the others; you need to be able to predict each other's actions, especially in combat. You need to have pre-determined / pre-planned tactics and methodologies in place BEFORE the dung starts to fly. Otherwise, you're going to find yourselves stumbling over each other constantly, and not living up to your full potential."

Respen said:
Respen looks over Tulane for a brief moment, and he removes the tube from his belt that holds the letters of introduction to the great mage of Greyhawk. "Mr. Tulane, might I have a word with you, then? I am seeking a Greyhawk wizard named Delbin Arcanus, a resident of parts east of here. I have letters of introduction from my late uncle, Auror Taerwynel, mage of the Elven Yaenni Tribe from the Enllaves in Western Oerik."

Tulane's demeanor becomes more serious, and focused. "Letters of introduction imply familiarity. If this uncle of yours was a friend of The Grand Vizier, you are a very fortunate lad, indeed! I am a member of the Dyvers Mage Guild, which is the rival of the Greyhawk guild, but on friendly terms; both guilds are prestigious, and both respect the achievements of one another. Our guild leader is Torindell Marigold, a Grey Elf Wizard of no small repute. But Torindell's mentor, Laramon The Wise, who is also a Grey Elf, is the Wizard Emeritus of our guild, and was once Delbin's apprentice! Laramon has a tower in the Docks District to the North; if I were you, I'd go and see him, and show him your letter, and here's why: Delbin Arcanus is rarely in Greyhawk. He spends his time traveling, mostly on personal business. But Laramon is a homebody, who rarely leaves his tower. It's my hunch that if you were to show your letter to the Greyhawk Adjunct Magister, he'd probably tell you to seek out Laramon. So save yourself the journey to Greyhawk and back, and just pay Laramon a visit now, while you're here."

Recognition strikes Respen's brain! You've already met Laramon, for a different purpose, a couple of days ago:

Respen's Memory: What Laramon Told Lathir said:
"These markings are of the Cult of the Elder Elemental Eye. The cultists follow the Mad One, he who must not be named. There have been stirrings lately at the old temple, which is some weeks west of here, near Verbobonc, close to the village of Hommlett. Several adventuring groups have already descended upon the place. I hear that the church of St. Cuthbert has enlisted the aid of The Grey Cloak Council to investigate the evils that are once again lurking there. **But I digress; I doubt very seriously that the Hobgoblins who bore these markings had anything to do with the Hommlett cultists;** instead, it is my fear that the cult is spreading, attempting to exert its influence in numerous places. It is my guess that you will find cultists either here in Dyvers, or perhaps in Greyhawk, who are employing mercenaries for the purposes of raiding local settlements, in the interest of raising funds for the cult. If I were you, I'd do a little exploring in the Gnarley Forest; I doubt that the cultists have any sort of base, especially a temple or shrine, anywhere within public notice, i.e., anywhere within the confines of the city. Such things are always kept hidden, and a large forest is the perfect place."

Respen, Dewydd, and anyone else within earshot: What do you do?

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tulane adds one last remark: "In fact, why don't I accompany you to Laramon's tower? While you talk to him, I can make use of his lab to begin identifying your items. Laramon is a staunch ally of the City Council, and is always happy to lend his aid in such matters."

Remove ads