Recruiting 1 Player for The Dungeon:Out of Whistle

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Looking for 1 Player, as one of ours seemed to have run off.

Cleric strongly preferred, as that is what the former player was.

Note the following regarding the Dungeon: Pretty much anything from an established D20 setting is Ok, EXCEPT from a Source based on a literary series <I don't want any Start Wars/Middle Earth/WoT characters, as I would like to keep the feel 'mine'.
Besides, the idea was based losely upon Philip Jose farmer's 'The Dungeon', though only in a 'what if folks were fished from their world and imprisoned elsewhere' sort of way.
So far, the players have encountered Riddling Earth Elementals, a Demon /Devil combo that carried on the Bloodwar here in the Dungeon as a contest to see which of 2 options Characters would pick (they did, of course, try to kill the PCs after their choices were made/points tallied in the Game),
Alien weaponsmiths selling Firearms on the Blackmarket ( a Death sentence is carried with selling/owning anything more advanced than Blackpowder in the area that they have just left) and an Atomie stuck in an IronBox for a rather long time (he is now their pledged Guide/Scout)

32 Point Buy. DM does all dice rolling.
7th Level, with 6th Level Starting Wealth

The Monitors (as termed by the 'Inmates')

The Warmaster
Alchraol, as he is termed by all of the indigenous races in the Dungeon. The Warmaster pushes his followers to Conquer areas of the Dungeon under the Control or protection of other Monitors. The Warmaster's Clerics may choose from LN,NE,LE as Alignments.
Domains: War,Law,Planning,Travel,Evil (not both),Portal, and Tyranny.
Symbol: A solid White Field dominated by a Black Keep. Weapon: Longsword.

The Weaver
Synelerra, as the indigenous races term him.
The Weaver seeks to bind all of the Dungeon into one big web of Cohesion, trying to put all of the puzzles and various mysteries together, as well as uniting diffeent Folk with an Information network that spans much of the Dungeon.
Clerics of the Weaver may choose from any Alignment.
Domains:Travel,Knowledge,Trickery,Portal,any 1 Elemental Domain (Air,Earth,Fire,Water).
Symbol: A Spider Web pattern on a Black Field, the connnection points of the Web being bright lights.
Weapon: Warhammer.

The Shielder
Brenbrylla, as the indigenous races term Her.
Perhaps the least happy of the Monitors with the entire Dungeon Existance, her Clerics preach that The Shielder wanted nothing to do with the Dungeon, yet she became involved to try to help those trapped as best as she could. The Shielder and the Warmaster are Mortal enemies, and their followers seem to follow suit for the most part.
The Shielder did not grant War as a Domain initially, although it has become a neccessity as a result of the conflict with the Warmaster.
Alignment:LG,CG,NG,LN,CN,N
Domains:Luck,Family,Protection,Law or Chaos (not both),Retribution,War,Portal.
Symbol:A Yellow Shield on a Blue Field.
Weapon: Spear (any kind).

The Beast
Corghal, as the indigenous races term him.
The Beast is the Primal Essence of reversion, that which seeks to drive those Incarcerated back to whatever Primitive state they (as a race) have evolved from. Many Druids worship the Beast, as well as Clerics of a more Bestial nature themselves.
Alignments are CG,CN,CE.
Domains:Chaos, Good or Evil (not both),Animal, Scalykind,Strength,Destruction,Portal.
Symbol: A hand transforming into a claw on a Red Field.
Weapon: Clawed Bracer <Small-1D6 20/X3>

The Traveller
Lynnareen, as the indigenous races term her.
The Traveller is one of the most popular of all Monitors, seeming the being most involved directly with her People. Trade and exploration are his areas of interest, as The traveller is constantly creating new areas, adding new 'recruits' in the Game, as she terms those Incarcerated in the Dungeon.
Alignment: CG,CN,NG,LN,LG,NE
Domains:Trade,Travel,Portal,Chaos,Knowledge,Cavern

Symbol:An Open Door on a Green Field.
Weapon:Quarterstaff.

The Healer
Forthimbo, as the indigenous races term him.
The Healer is,even more than the Shielder, concerned with the welfare of the Dungeon's Incarcerated. The Healer takes a more passive role, however,his Clerics travelling the length and breadth of the Dungeon treating the sick and injured. This does not mean that they are Pacifists, as more often than not, they need to deal with some Agent of the Pain or Damage to help the Injured.
Alignments:LG,CG,NG,LN,CN,N.
Domains:Healing,Protection,Good,Law or Chaos (not both),Retribution,Portal.
Symbol:A Green Circle on a Grey Field.
Weapon: Hand Axe.

All Non-Human Clerics may choose their 'racial' DOmain, as this is an inheirant part of their make-up. As well, Humans may include 1 other Domain to choose from,

All characters would gain free 1 Rank in Appraisal,Sense Motive,Search and Knowledge-The Dungeon.

No wishfull cross-pollination, no Elven/Cyber enhanced Fast Hero Wizards...Initially, sticking to an established setting is preferred.

Level 7 Class/ECL or both
Race is whatever you can get with the LVL/ECL.

32 pt Buy + the 1 point from 4th Level for those who have 4 actual Class Levels.

Everyone gets a Rank in Sense Motive,Know-The Dungeon,Appraisal and Search.

13,000 GP/Dollars/Creds whatever. (The other players are barely 7th Level, and they don't yet have a '7th level' wealth.
For Modern,I have converted the D&D Equiv to Dollars. I don't want to see someone's Wealth being the silly argument that they can bring their Mini-Helicoptor/Missile Launcher/Motorcycle... You get the point. Do not buy food or water, or water tablets/nano-tech nutrient-whatever...You each have 1 week of trail rations/MREs and 2 water skins/canteens.OK, and one roll of Charmin (they have a BIT of compassion).

The Monitors didn't drag all of your Worldly Possessions along with you when they 'Fished' you.
I'm a bit rusty on Psionics, but they are OK too.
Anyone taking Firearms or Sci-Fi tech, don't bother wasting money on 'Reloading Set and 1000 rounds' either...see Wealth above.Keep the ammo something you can carry. I'm not saying don't take the skill, or the motorcycle riding etc...it's just that you don't have them to begin with.

In short, think of it as survival, the food/water issue is crucial to you, not just window dressing and backdrop like in 99.9% of RPGs.

On The DUNGEON: The Dungeon is difficult to explain. One could start on a sea of sand, as far as the eye could see sailing some schooner that plied the Winds (and indeed, this is very true in several Zones).You might land on a small rock Outcrop, where a Doorway waited, against the Rock wall. Passing it (and it's guardian), you find yourself on a Glacier, overlooking an ancient city. Traveling through the City, you find a Portal (most likely One of many), leading to a steamy jungle where primitive Insect-Men war ceaselessly against one another, colonies waging eternal battle. A Portal 100 feet up in a tree, leading into an old Bole might leave you atop a plateau, overlooking a Sea of Fire, Dragons and Great Elementals seen in the distance. A dormant lava-pool might lead (via it's Portal) to a 'Dungeon' filled with monsters, Demons and Traps...and many, many Portals. The possibilities are endless, or nearly so. The Monitors are constantly adding, removing and changing the entire Dungeon, although a Monitor will usually tell his Followers within a Zone, so that they can prepare, be that moving, or get ready to stage a War upon wherever their Portals now Open.

WHY ADVENTURE IN THE DUNGEON? Some do it to survive, seeking weapons to keep them safe. Some seek the basic necessities, Food, Water, and Shelter.
Some seek to dominate others, to colonize, to seek new places to explore, to document their travels in order to help those who come after. Everyone has a reason. For most, there is One reason in the hiding at the back of their Mind. One day, someone WILL find a way to escape the Dungeon.

I would really prefer someone that isn't in a million other games, as there are a few folks popping up recently that are looking for a 1st game.

Thanks, Uriel

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Well, as soon as possible is the obvious answer,but as soon as you have time to post them is what I really mean.

As I mentioned a Cleric would be ideal, with one of the abovementioned 'Monitors' as a Deity.Of course, you don't 'have to' make a Cleric, but the party is a Kender Wizard, a Crane Clan Samurai from Rokugan and a Dwarf Fighter/Ranger.
The NPC Atomie <Faerie> is a Rogue>

32 pt Buy, 13000GP. Level 7

Thanks,

LazarusLong42

First Post
How would you feel about this? The basic idea would be that this guy's the opposite of Job: He doesn't really believe in the Monitors, so two of them bet each other that the former could get our anti-Job to acknowledge the existence of the latter... and then caused him to be a cleric of the latter. He's the Very Reluctant Cleric, but he doesn't actually believe in the existence of his patron.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
That sounds fine. The last Cleric (very reluctantly) chose the Weaver, though she was a Cleric of Gond prior to being 'Fished'.

If you were doing the 'Cleric with noGod', as is possible in the PHB, just choose from the Domains Travel,Knowledge,Trickery,Portal, any 1 of your choice and any racial Domains <Elf,Dwarf> if you are ofa certain race.

there are many in the Dungeon that question whether there are even any Monitors, thinking that some Being somewhere is playing a massive game (Wizard of Oz), hiding behind a Hoax.
There are as many views as there are people trapped here, yours works just fine.

LazarusLong42

First Post
Is it just me, or is that three total domains? Also, for "no god" PCs, how do you rule "Favored Weapon"? (I intend to take the War Domain.)

Also... HP determination method? Max, half-max, rolled?

Last edited:

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Sorry. 2 Domains.
I was just listing which you could choose from.
HP are max@ 1st, 3/4 after, round down:
D4=3,D6=4, D8=6,D10=7,D12=9.

LazarusLong42

First Post
:) No problem; I figured I was reading incorrectly.

I think my edit crossed your post, though: Favored Weapon? (The PHB is dreadfully unclear on the point, though I think I may just end up taking the spear anyway as the Shielder will be Kael's "adopted" deity/monitor... even if he doesn't believe in her :)

LazarusLong42

First Post
One last set of questions:

In your world, are magic item components likely around anywhere? And, how do you rule on scroll creation? One day per 1000gp worth of scrolls? (I'm thinking of taking Scribe Scroll as a feat; Kael likes to be prepared.)

Starting XP? Base 7th level? Any extra XP for scribing?

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Spear is fine.
Yes, magic Componants are going to be found. Since it is a 'anything and everything' Setting,there is the potential for qutea lot.
I am not a complete stickler for the minutae (I'm tired after work, I think I spelled that wrong), but any spell with an actal listed monetary componant (100GP Pearl or whatever) will require the item.

The scroll issue has always been a fuzzy one.
As near as I can tell, it is still a minimum of a day/Scroll.
If you find otherwise in an Official Source, PLEASE let me know, as this affects other games, as well as my RL game (where my Druid never gets any time to make his scrolls).
200XP for Scrolls.

Remove ads