Shipwrecked Adventurers?

Anyone have any good ship wrecked adventures (d20 compatible) that they would like to share, or a link to a good one. My PC's have been stranded on an island in the middle of no-where.

I ran a homebrew shipwrecked scenario which stands out as the best of our current campaign. The overview runs like this.

Wizard owns island and uses it for his experiments. Only other humanoids on the island are the wizard's apprentice and a wild tribe of kobolds. The wizard treats the kobolds like you would any group of wild animals, as long as they stay away, no worries.

The wizard is mad and uses his apprentice's soul to animate an iron golem. The wizard has designed the iron golem to have a removable animation matrix - essentially, there's this part of the golem that can be pulled off and put into other iron golems to make them go. He's trying to develop a system of one servitor with multiple forms.

However, the process goes bad and the golem semi-remembers being the apprentice. The machine becomes psychotic and slays the wizard. It then reverts to its programming, which is to guard the three parts of the island that the wizard cares about, his mountain lab, his manor house and the landing dock on the bay. These three are linked by the only paths on the island. The golem patrols these paths and locations, slaying anything it finds.

Then the pcs are shipwrecked. In my campaign they turned up at the dock in a reparable boat. They were all sixth level, and when the golem ambushed their boat, they were happy to let him trash the thing, instead fleeing into the island.

The scenario then became a matter of puzzling out from the apprentice's journal and the wizard's notes, what had actually happened, while avoiding the golem. The only sure way off the island is to find the boat that the apprentice was secretly preparing to escape from the mad wizard. To do this though, the party needed to free the apprentice's soul from the golem. To do that they needed to damage the animation matrix in the golem's chest. If they tried that through straight hand to hand, the golem would eat them alive. However, there is one potential advantage on the island.

The wizard owned a gauntlet of rusting grasp. As a function of the scenario, the gauntlet's power could destroy the matrix on a single successful touch attack - that just meant that someone had to stand there and hopefully win initiative and make the hit.

Boy was it a fun scenario to run. The panic that the pcs learnt to feel every time the golem's booming footprints echoed through the jungle. Searching for the kobolds; setting up the ambush; after puzzling out the clues from the apprentice's journal and the wizard's notes.:D

I think I still have a lot of the details saved on my machine if you want me to fish them out - I'm at work at the moment.

caudor

Adventurer
The classic module "Treasure Hunt" has a ship wreck. It should be available in .pdf format. This short module would probably be easy to convert. Heh, I might just do that myself.

The only other adventure I can think of with a big-time ship wreck is the old Ravenloft module: Neither Man Nor Beast (one of my favs). I can't recall if Ship of Horrors (a free one module) ends in a wreck or not.

It appears that most of the monsters (if not all) in the adventure have been converted to 3rd edition in the new Ravenloft d20 book of monster (including the broken ones).

It's a very fun adventure though.

Remove ads