M&M - Cataclysm City [OOC]

NeoNinevite

First Post
My current character idea is a gang member turned informant who moved to Cataclysm City with a new identity. I don't have any particular ideas for powers, though I might go for some kind of speedster or teleporter. I'll try and get the PL5 character up soon-ish, but it might take a few days. I should have a more fleshed out background then.

Insight

Adventurer
Shayuri and others, I really enjoy and appreciate the rules discussion. Keep it going. I'll chime in when needed.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Shayuri

First Post
Okay, found the rule. The index from the book helps a LOT over trawling the SRD. :)

A Resistance Check is an actual thing, not just a term for a generic check made to resist something.

When making a resistance check, the DC is 10+the effect being resisted's rank. So yes, the DC to escape a Grab made at Str 10 is 20, not 10.

A normal scrub will have to nat 20 his way out of your swamp-thing embrace. :)

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Just curious for background...how long ago was the alien visitation and the eruption of superpowers? And is there a name for the city that the residents use? I assume they don't call it "Cataclysm City" formally. Not exactly the best PR for your tourism bureau...

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Let me know if there is anything wrong with this. Anything in the bio can be vetoed by Sandra, if you don't like it.

2j34izt.jpg

Tiffany Amber St. Claire
Height: 5’10”
Weight: 125 lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blonde

[sblock=Biography]
Tiffany was born to a wealthy hotel magnate in “Cataclysm City”. She really wanted for nothing as a child...except for parental attention, since she was raised by a succession of nannies. She learned at a very early age to manipulate people (especially her parents) to get what she wanted.

At her private school, Tiffany proved a mediocre student. But she proved adept at cultivating popularity, especially among the boys, often getting them to do her homework. She joined the cheer and dance squad and the flag corps in the marching band. She threw the best parties in the school, and she was prom queen two years running.

Tiffany proved to be a benevolent dictator at the top of the school’s social hierarchy. She even took charity cases, like Sandra Connor. A rather bookish, nerdy girl, she was hired to tutor Tiffany in some classes. Tiffany took pity on Sandra and made an attempt at cleaning the poor girl up and presenting her to school society. It all went swimmingly, Tiffany’s popularity buoying up Sandra, even getting Sandra a boyfriend. It all came crashing down, though, when Sandra caught Tiffany rounding third base and well on her way to sliding home with Sandra’s boyfriend. Tiffany tried to explain that they had gotten “bored” waiting for Sandra and couldn’t believe Sandra was so upset over a “stupid boy”.

So Sandra’s ephemeral popularity was stripped from her and she was forced to cower in the shadow of Tiffany’s social stature. There was very little overt hostility from the social paragon, but more that Sandra had become a nonentity in Tiffany’s world. There was little need for Tiffany to concern herself with social punishment when she had minions to do the dirty work, and others picked that up. It was open season on the nerd girl.

The summer after graduation, Tiffany started amateur modeling. She became quite the Instagram sensation, which landed her a part time modeling contract while she attended university, where she continued cheerleading and studied marketing. Her grades weren’t stellar, but she did better than in high school.

There was a bit of awkwardness in college freshman year when the university made Sandra Connor Tiffany’s roommate. Sandra spent much of that year sleeping on the lobby couch when Tiffany had her boyfriend of the week over. Fate seemed to keep these two in perpetual conflicting orbits, and while they tried to avoid each other for the rest of college, they inevitably ran into each other.

After an incident in college involving a stalker ex-boyfriend, Tiffany started taking kickboxing. She trained mostly for self-defense and conditioning, to stay in shape for modeling, and avoided full-contact.

Following graduation from university, Tiffany has been traveling. She spent time in London, Paris and Rome, lived it up in Monaco and Monte Carlo, spending her trust money, doing some modeling work, and going through a string of celebrity boyfriends that garnered paparazzi attention. She has recently returned to Cataclysm City.

Personality: Tiffany is gregarious, outgoing, and fun. She has some abandonment issues with her absentee parents and is always desperate to please. She always tries to present a happy, smiling face and tries to garner approval from others. She loves the cute and cuddly; is scared of creepy crawly things
[/sblock]

[sblock=Tiffany St. Clair]
PL: 5 (75)
Hero Points: 1
XP: 0

ABILITIES (26)
Strength: 1
Stamina: 3
Agility: 2
Dexterity: 1
Fighting: 1
Intellect: 0
Awareness: 1
Presence: 4

DEFENSES (15)
Dodge 5 (base 2 + 3)
Parry 5 (base 1 + 4)
Fortitude 5 (base 3 + 2)
Toughness 5 (base 3 + 2)
Will 5 (base 1 + 4)

Initiative: +2

Offense:
Unarmed +3 Damage DC 16

SKILLS (26)
Acrobatics: +7 (5)
Athletics: +6 (5)
Close Combat:
Unarmed +3 (2)
Deception: +13 (9)
Expertise: Fashion +1 (1)
Expertise: Marketing +1 (1)
Insight: +10 (9)
Investigation: +0 (0)
Intimidation: +9 (5)
Perception: +6 (5)
Persuasion: +14 (10)
Ranged Combat: +1 (0)
Sleight of Hand: +1 (0)
Stealth: +2 (0)
Technology: +0 (0)
Treatment: +0 (0)
Vehicles: +1 (0)

ADVANTAGES (8)
Attractive Rank 2: +5 circumstance bonus to Deception and Persuasion.
Beginner’s Luck: Spend a Hero Point for +5 Ranks in one skill of 4 or less for the duration of the scene.
Benefit 2: Independently wealthy
Connected: Use Persuasion to call in favors.
Languages 2: French and Italian

COSTS
Attributes 26
Defenses 15
Skills 27
Advantages 7
Powers 0
Total: 75

COMPLICATIONS:
Motivation: Recognition
Fame
[/sblock]

[sblock=Paragon (willing to entertain other super names), Princess, Princess Paragon, “The Double Ds stand for Danger Dame”]
PL: 10 (150)
Hero Points: 1
XP: 0

ABILITIES (26)
Strength: 11
Stamina: 13
Agility: 2
Dexterity: 1
Fighting: 1
Intellect: 0
Awareness: 1
Presence: 4

DEFENSES (15)
Dodge 5 (base 2 + 3)
Parry 5 (base 1 + 4)
Fortitude 15 (base 13 + 2)
Toughness 15 (base 13 + 2)
Will 5 (base 1 + 4)

Initiative: +2

Offense:
Unarmed +3 Damage DC 26

SKILLS (26)
Acrobatics: +7 (5)
Athletics: +16 (5)
Close Combat:
Unarmed +3 (2)
Deception: +13 (9)
Expertise: Fashion +1 (1)
Expertise: Marketing +1 (1)
Insight: +10 (9)
Investigation: +0 (0)
Intimidation: +9 (5)
Perception: +6 (5)
Persuasion: +14 (10)
Ranged Combat: +1 (0)
Sleight of Hand: +1 (0)
Stealth: +2 (0)
Technology: +0 (0)
Treatment: +0 (0)
Vehicles: +1 (0)

ADVANTAGES (8)
Attractive Rank 2: +5 circumstance bonus to Deception and Persuasion.
Beginner’s Luck: Spend a Hero Point for +5 Ranks in one skill of 4 or less for the duration of the scene.
Benefit 2: Independently wealthy
Connected: Use Persuasion to call in favors.
Languages 2: French and Italian

POWERS (75)
Invulnerability: Enhanced Stamina 10, Immunity 10 (Life Support), Impervious Toughness 10, Limited: Does Not Work Against Magic (37p)
Super-Strength: Enhanced Strength 10 (25 tons)(20p)
Super-Speed: Speed 6 (120 mpg)(6p)
Flight 6 (120 mph)(12p)

COSTS
Attributes 26
Defenses 15
Skills 27
Advantages 7
Powers 75
Total: 150

COMPLICATIONS:
Motivation: Recognition
Fame

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
I'm going to write up a background today. Given that my guy was a college student when he came into his powers, it makes sense to have him attend the same university Sandra and Amber attended. Considering Herman's social awkwardness, he probably wouldn't appear in anyone else's write-up, even though he would have gone missing during their time in college. Hell, maybe he had a crush on one of the two but, being socially awkward, never approached them. Now, due to his changed state, he doesn't want to reveal who he is, in case they remember him.

Shayuri

First Post
Sandra and Herman have some similar knowledges...science and history, though Herman's better at science. They may have shared a class or two. That doesn't mean a shared background of course, but it's a point of interface.

Tiffany's background is pretty good stuff. I will made some additions to my background to include Tiffany's 'contributions' in more detail. :)

Insight

Adventurer
Just curious for background...how long ago was the alien visitation and the eruption of superpowers? And is there a name for the city that the residents use? I assume they don't call it "Cataclysm City" formally. Not exactly the best PR for your tourism bureau...

It is literally called "Cataclysm City" and has been for the past year since the alien invasion and whatnot. The name before was Pleasant City, but that's far too boring. No one calls it that anymore. The city itself is kind of still in ruins, so there hasn't been much tourism :) People are still trying to sort out their lives, and, especially for those directly impacted by either the aliens or the new supers, may still be in crisis.

Forged Fury

First Post
[MENTION=11437]Insight[/MENTION]: I wanted to give Heap a way to roughly communicate. Spore-based would make sense, so I guess olfactory would be the descriptor with an area. But I didn't necessarily want it to be fully articulate, more feelings than actual messages. How much would you cost that out? Communication is 4 points per rank, Area is +1 rank and Limited is -1 per rank, but Limited refers more to a limit on the receivers than a limit on the message. I have two points left over from Character Creation and can shift a few if needed to cover this. Let me know your thoughts. I'm also not entirely sure if there are flaws like mute that would give me a few points to offset the cost.
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]: You had said I needed to do something to make the Heap's change permanent, can you let me know what that is? Thanks!

Insight

Adventurer
Guys and gals, I have realized that I do not have the time to run this game. Rather than start the game in earnest and then run out of steam, I'd rather bow out now. Sorry about this.

Remove ads