D&D 5E Your one best piece of GM/DM advice?

werecorpse

Adventurer
If the players succeed at something that is public knowledge don't just go straight to the next adventure. Reward them by having NPCs react accordingly. As well as gold, exp and magic players love it when a bartender NPC offers them free drinks and food for the night because that peasant they rescued was his cousin, or the town throws a public holiday to celebrate the death of the dragon, the mayor asks the players to choose the best pumpkin pie and everyone wants to dance with the heroes.

pemerton

Legend
Don't think in terms of "plot." Think in terms of pressure. Apply pressure until the PCs have to do something. Then keep turning it up.
Absolutely.

The next step is to think about different forms that pressure can take; and also, what sort of conflicting pressures can be applied.

Conflicting pressures can be as simple as - if you want to achieve X (which is desirable for the PCs, and thus the players), you'll have to risk Y (which is undesirable for the PCs, and thus the players).

Once you do this three times, you'll have up to half-a-dozne interrelated pressures at work in the game. That's a compelling campaign without ever needing to plot the game in advance!

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I have two that are equal in importance.

(1st) Think in terms of Campaign and Setting FIRST, with the actual Characters of the Player's SECOND.

(2nd) Be CONSISTENTLY NEUTRAL in all things.

With regards to the 1st thing, don't "design adventures based on the Players PC's". Design them from the perspective of the world and it's NPC's as a whole FIRST. Only take into consideration the PC's for very specific circumstances...and by "specific" I mean "generally specific". ;) So if two of four PC's have nautical 'backgrounds/skills', and you are writing an adventure involving slavers...feel free to add in a waterborne aspect that the slavers would 'logically use'. But DON'T design that 'waterborne part' specific to the PC's (e.g., don't set DC's based on the PC's capabilities...see below for that).

With regards to the 2nd thing, set a "Baseline" for pretty much EVERYTHING YOU CREATE. If you set swimming in a calm, warm lake as DC 8, don't suddenly change it to DC 15 just because the PC's are all expert swimmers. Remember, you are the DM and your first and most important thing to remember is that you are not AGAINST the players/PC's...but you are also not FOR the players/PC's. With your DC 8 swimming in calm, warm lake waters, put it to 10 for cold water. Cold and windy? Bump it up to 12. Very windy and cold? Ok, how about 15. Very windy, very cold, and at night? Fine, DC 18. The point is to be consistent with regards to the CAMPAIGN WORLD. You should be totally unconcerned if the PC's all are awesome swimmers, or none can swim. If none of the PC's can swim, yet the Players insist that their PC's swim out to the "rocky island, 150' out"...at night...in winter...during a storm...just so they can "perform some spell/ritual"...well, sucks to be them. DC 18. Maybe even at disadvantage if they all came from the desert.

Anyway, yeah. Those are my "two peas in a pod" rule of thumb that I've lived by for decades now. World first, PC's second, and always, always make notes of new DC's/rulings as you make them so that you can remain consistent.

OH, and if/when the PC's all die...don't feel bad. It's not your fault...unless you put the PC's in an unwinnable situation (remember the 1st rule of thumb though...so this should never happen unless you have really poor players).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Cyrinishad

Explorer
My best piece of DM advice is to avoid the word "No"... always find a way to say "Yes" to your Players ideas & creativity... even if it's a "Yes, but..." or "Yes, if..." or "Yes, you can try..."

Zilong

First Post
Counterpoint to the above: No is not a bad word.

Depending on the circumstances some things just won't be possible or will simply annoy the other players at the table. If a player starts in on something that has no business in the setting quickly apply the word "no" and move on with things.

schnee

First Post
Counterpoint to the above: No is not a bad word.

Depending on the circumstances some things just won't be possible or will simply annoy the other players at the table. If a player starts in on something that has no business in the setting quickly apply the word "no" and move on with things.

I'll build on that a bit. When you say 'no', give a short explanation why. Then, follow that up with 'we can talk about it after the game if you disagree, and if I'm wrong, we'll do it differently next time'. That goes over a lot better than a flat 'no' and avoids arguments happening then and there.

--

As far as the discussion afterwards, IMO stick to two things: First, you're trying to be fair and consistent. Secondly, you're always solving for making the game more fun.

For example, one player thought he could make his verbal component for the Suggestion spell just the specific words of the suggestion, which he'd indicate to the DM with 'finger air quotes', so if the target made their save they wouldn't even know what happened. I said no, and explained the problem with that. "Casting with undetectable verbal components is a) a specific Sorcerer-only ability, b) costs spell points so it's an expensive, limited resource, and c) bypasses the ability to be Counterspelled so it's insanely powerful. And the PHB specifically says Verbal components 'require the chanting of mystic words.' So it's too much to be able to pull off right in front of someone's face."

The player saw the point we made, but still disagreed somewhat, so we talked later.

We discussed it from several perspectives - game balance, class abilities, enabling player cleverness, etcetera - and I made the case that the problem is with it being a 'win' button for casters that trumps anything any other class can do, with no risk. Only Sorcerers should be able to pull that off, with a valuable expense of resources. He saw that, and agreed, but he also made the case that since Suggestion is innately a social spell, being always automatically detected or understood nerfs the spell to the point of uselessness. So, he wanted the potential to get away with it in some situations, because that would be a lot more fun too.

The whole group talked through it over Slack for a few days. We came to an understanding and an interpretation that totally works within RAW. Basically, since verbal components are chanted clearly at a low speaking voice, depending on the range, ambient noise, and other distractions, people other than the target might not hear them. So, if it's a bustling city square, it's low risk. In a quiet chamber, with other potential witnesses, that's a high potential to be found out, and that's where the fun comes in.

Basically, we figured out it's a Help action to influence the DC of the other observers to not notice the spell. It involves the whole party in on-the-spot improv or planned shenanigans to generate more background noise, create distractions, shield the spellcaster, or something else. Those actions are executed using one skill or another against the observer's Passive Perceptions. Depending on the circumstances - i.e. trying to pull it off against a city official when guards are waiting right outside - it requires more creativity and becomes more exciting. So, instead of the spell being an automatic 'win' for the caster alone, it now incentivizes teamwork and everyone gets involved in making sure it goes off.

Judging from how the group has taken to it - the amount of planning, and the creativity of their schemes - we made the right call. We all came out of it with a better understanding of the game too.

Last edited:

Remove ads