The Wandering DM - My Journey Home

DM Howard

Explorer
I am in my late twenties and started with one of the last D&D: Adventure Game (Fast Play) boxed sets printed under the TSR Anniversary logo. My wife and I are not in the best of financial situations due to college debt and she is currently pursuing her MBA whilst we both work full time and rent her parents' old house for a pittance. We both want children which has led me to start shedding a large number of hobbies that either took up too much of my time or engendered addictive behavior in me, thus I no longer player video games (or PC games) and I have stopped miniature wargaming and playing Magic: The Gathering. The purpose is two-fold, as I want to stop spending so much money (not that I spend loads, but every bit counts) and I want to have a hobby that I don't mind "setting down" because I need to concentrate on my future children.

I've been in a bit of an RPG funk lately, and that might be putting the issue lightly. I've gone from being super interested in RPGs, to not giving a darn, to everything in between in the space of a week and back again. I wasn't "feeling" 5th Edition, I don't think it has enough options, both for DMs and Players and I think that the game is like an eclectic bard that isn't that great at anything because he spread his skill points out too much. I've taken a look at numerous RPGs including W.O.I.N., Hackmaster 5E, Swords & Wizardry, Castles & Crusades, GURPS, Savage Worlds, AGE, Basic Fantasy, AD&D 1E, and more, but none of them are scratching that "itch" for me. I don't really enjoy Pathfinder because I don't enjoy the art, and I understand how crazy that sounds, but visual presentation is important to me and helps fuel my hobby.

Fast forward to last night and I had a random epiphany. I realized that I was subconsciously comparing all these different games to Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 and I had been looking in all the wrong places for the game that suits me best. I cracked out my old core books last night and immediately all the "hobby anxiety" (for lack of a better description) went away and I had (re)discovered the game that works for me. Despite the flaws in D&D 3.5, and the D20 OGL glut that accompanies it, I still believe that it has the best set of rules for me, and I had that feeling like I had come home.

I'm curious to hear if anyone else has had an experience like this with D&D 3.5, or any other game for that matter?

cmad1977

Hero
Actually 5e did this for me. During the previous version everyone I knew who played basically stopped entirely. I had lost interest in gaming for the most part.
Then... 5e. Now I play D&D regularly along with some other games(lamentations, apocalypse stuff, legend of the elements)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DM Howard

Explorer
Actually 5e did this for me. During the previous version everyone I knew who played basically stopped entirely. I had lost interest in gaming for the most part.
Then... 5e. Now I play D&D regularly along with some other games(lamentations, apocalypse stuff, legend of the elements)

Cool! I'm glad 5E had that effect for you. Did the system itself rekindle your passion or was it a community revival due to the new edition (or something else)?

RedSiegfried

First Post
4e brought me back to D&D after years of falling away due to the things I disliked about 3.5.

13th Age energized and inspired me just at the right time as I was beginning to turn off to 4e because of the things I disliked in that edition.

If you keep looking at all the new games out there and stay abreast of developments in the RPG world, you're bound to find the game that scratches your itches when you need it.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I'm rather like you, Bravesteel; after playing some 4e, some 5e, trying CoC and Dungeon World, etc..., I've come back to 3e. I love it. I'll play it full tilt, I'll run epic 6th, and I'm sure I'll try other variants, but I can always enjoy it. And I've been playing for nearly 40 years.

ccs

41st lv DM
1e does that for me.

I cut my teeth on Basic in 1980 & about a year and a half later added 1e.
in the years since I've played & run all manner of RPGs & every edition of D&D, spent a fortune on MTG, spent even larger fortunes on miniature wargaming, played more board games than I can name....

But I always return to 1e.
It's my favorite edition (though I admit 5e is pretty close).

DM Howard

Explorer
1e does that for me.

I cut my teeth on Basic in 1980 & about a year and a half later added 1e.
in the years since I've played & run all manner of RPGs & every edition of D&D, spent a fortune on MTG, spent even larger fortunes on miniature wargaming, played more board games than I can name....

But I always return to 1e.
It's my favorite edition (though I admit 5e is pretty close).

That's interesting because strangely enough I really enjoy AD&D 1E as well, I'll be running a 1E Forgotten Realms campaign soon. It might be a two-sides-of-the-coin kind of deal where they both offer different flavors of the same thing.

S

Sunseeker

4E always brings me back. The mathematical precision. The level of balance. The standardization of functional options. A lot of people may not like the gameyness to it, but to me, they're all games and as someone who has grown up with video gaming far more than pen & paper gaming, it's a lot more comfortable environment. I just wish I could get the DDI programs offline.

Remove ads