Pathfinder 1E [INTEREST/RECRUIT] - Crowns of Ice

tglassy

Adventurer
In that case, my character, Alec (haven't picked a surname yet) is a nobleman, and Jarl of his territory (yay Skyrim!). The head of his family has been Jarl for many generations in this territory, mainly due to their magic and their supposed draconic heritage (which they claim, but few actually believe). And the fact that his family is the most wealthy and influential in his territory. That doesn't hurt.

He is a hard man to his enemies, commands respect from his soldiers, and fealty from his surfs. But he has a soft spot for his late wife and two daughters. The youngest is ten, and her mother died in childbirth. His oldest will b played by Queenie, and she's not done developing her yet.

He is handsome enough, though more in his force of personality than his looks. He struggles with life, at times, feeling that his responsibilities stole what happiness he could have had. He keeps a portrait of his wife in his room that he stares at every night before he goes to sleep, though few others besides his daughter actually know that. He is only in his mid to late 30's, so he is still young and in his prime. Still dark headed and strong.

Interesting note. His wedding to his late wife was a shotgun wedding, so to speak. Young love, wild and free, and oh look, there's gonna be three! (I just made that up. That was pretty good!) His father was furious. He wanted his son to marry for political reasons. But oh well. You can't predict everything. They were married before their first daughter was born, and therefore she was legitimate in the eyes of the law.

He doted on his daughters. Always supported whatever they wanted to learn, regardless of whether or not it was "Proper". He doesn't care for proper so much as practical. If it works, who cares whether it's been done before? He follows tradition where either it suits him or he is forced to, but that's about it.

But, he has no male heir. He must have a male heir, if not for the Jarlship then for his lands and property. Now that it has been ten years since his wife's death, many have been pushing for him to choose a new wife, something he is loath to do.

As for who is vying to marry him, I'll leave that up to the DM. His personal goals are to keep his people safe, and to make sure whoever becomes king is a follower of the Demiurge, which he and his family have been for at least a few generations. He is a religious man, and his family were among the first nobles to convert to this new religion, and he is adamant that whoever rules be among their number, else he feels they will be squashed by the pagans. He doesn't...hate the pagans, or particularly wish them destroyed. But he doesn't exactly trust them, either. If he has to maneuver himself to be King just to make sure the King is a follower of the Church of the Demiurge, he will, though becoming King in and of itself is not an ambition of his.

That said, could you explain the Church of the Demiurge so I have a better idea of what it is?

Jago

Explorer
Still pondering mine. Some highlights so far:

- Definitely a Karl and Pantheonist.

- Serves a Jarl as emissary and diplomat, passing along decrees and offers of friendship alongside declarations of war.

- Able to hold the Shieldwall with the rest of them.

- Invokes the Gods with his voice to bring forth their retribution (the Thundercaller archetype)

- Is actually a bastard from another Jarldom, hiding his name and identity that he may live somewhat profitably elsewhere.

- Wishes to claim a name or title of his own through a respectable avenue: ambitious, but not a slave to his ambition.

Beyond that I'm still positing as we learn more about the setting and the other characters.

Fenris

Adventurer
This is awesome AB. If I could make a couple of suggestions. The title of Jarl is the leader but they often come from the ranks of the hersir (plural hursar), the landed aristocracy. Much more powerful and influential than the Freemen of Karls. Ok, so twenty provinces each ruled by a Jarl. We know Avar is one. One would assume a Thing of Jarls to elect a new King, whose sons as Jarls themselves would be present and eligible.

As for races, is is easy enough to merely take the stats of an elf and say it is a human with Alfar blood (whether actual or that those people evoke it), So you get Alfrblod, Dvergrblod etc.

As for me, I will be going Fighter, Jarl or son of a Jarl. Or maybe going the Sea King route depending on how it forms.

Rhun

First Post
I'm going to have to do some catch-up reading. I don't get online much during the weekends.

Archon, when are you looking at having us have our characters ready? I've got my PC mostly stated out, but I need to put some time and effort into background and such, and that may take me a few days.

I also want to say I'm looking forward to participating in a game with Fenris and Queenie. It has been too long! :)

Jago

Explorer
I actually do like the idea of "Blooded" humans, invokes the old feels of the Jotunblud and such. Very cool idea, [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION]. The idea of the hersir would also go a long way to grounding this in very Norse-tradition.

If you go with your current idea, would you be up for our characters being connected in some way? Either my Bard is the bastard son of your family name, or I serve your current family?

Or if Sea King, there is actually a Bard that is all about sailing and weather and such I may be interested in playing, serving as kind of a navigator for the langskip?

Queenie

Queen of Everything
I also want to say I'm looking forward to participating in a game with Fenris and Queenie. It has been too long! :)
TOTALLY agree!!! When I saw you signed up here, I was in like Flynn ;) That game was one of the very first I played in, I hope my writing skills have come along a little bit since then. I still look back on that game *very* fondly. Nothing like waking up from being spelled finding yourself naked, dancing on stage in front of a huge audience of cultists with two large pythons wrapped around yourself about to be sacrificed!!

I'm still interested in connecting backstories too if it works out. Jago, if you end up connected to Fenris, I'll end up knowing you that way or we could make up our own connection, being an emissary it'd be easy enough. You too Rhun if your story allows for it! I'll try to get a little write up of my character posted today, though tglassy's got the basis for it - she's a young marrying age sorceress daughter of tglassy's Jarl who is about to leave the nest.

Fenris

Adventurer
I actually do like the idea of "Blooded" humans, invokes the old feels of the Jotunblud and such. Very cool idea, [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION]. The idea of the hersir would also go a long way to grounding this in very Norse-tradition.

If you go with your current idea, would you be up for our characters being connected in some way? Either my Bard is the bastard son of your family name, or I serve your current family?

Or if Sea King, there is actually a Bard that is all about sailing and weather and such I may be interested in playing, serving as kind of a navigator for the langskip?

Absolutely. We will make that work. I need to figure out which way to go, but half-brothers (known or not) would be awesome. Don't forget to check out the Skald Hybrid class, especially if you want to hold the shield wall ;)

Jago

Explorer
Absolutely. We will make that work. I need to figure out which way to go, but half-brothers (known or not) would be awesome. Don't forget to check out the Skald Hybrid class, especially if you want to hold the shield wall ;)

See, I don't know nothing 'bout no fancy Hybrids, lol: that was after I had already moved on from Pathfinder and now everyone is all Slayer this and Warpriest that and now that I'm looking at it, holy hells, Skald is exactly what I want.

Go. Figure, thanks for the tip! Yeah, the Medium Armor, the weapons, the everything, yes. Holy Hells, thank you, mate. Skald it is, and skål to you!

Fenris

Adventurer
See, I don't know nothing 'bout no fancy Hybrids, lol: that was after I had already moved on from Pathfinder and now everyone is all Slayer this and Warpriest that and now that I'm looking at it, holy hells, Skald is exactly what I want.

Go. Figure, thanks for the tip! Yeah, the Medium Armor, the weapons, the everything, yes. Holy Hells, thank you, mate. Skald it is, and skål to you!

You are quite welcome sir. I was looking through them, and you had mentioned a skald as a type but not a class, so I figured I would mention it, especially as you mentioned being able to stand and fight.

I have some ideas about how I want to go. I think I am going to go with a younger son of a Jarl who has gone out raiding and become a Sea King himself, setting up a power struggle with his older brother. It would be awesome if your bastard skald went along with him for those raids. Not that you need to, but your skald can more than hold his own on a ship, and what better place to find material to compose heroic poems than from the prow of a ship?

I was talking to Queenie a bit about this. She mentioned that your character is almost like Ahmed in the 13th Warrior. You go in to fight but then also document the events. It is an apt analogy I think (except for being an outsider).

Jago

Explorer
I have some ideas about how I want to go. I think I am going to go with a younger son of a Jarl who has gone out raiding and become a Sea King himself, setting up a power struggle with his older brother. It would be awesome if your bastard skald went along with him for those raids. Not that you need to, but your skald can more than hold his own on a ship, and what better place to find material to compose heroic poems than from the prow of a ship?

I was talking to Queenie a bit about this. She mentioned that your character is almost like Ahmed in the 13th Warrior. You go in to fight but then also document the events. It is an apt analogy I think (except for being an outsider).

And so a Poet named Eben was born. However, the comparison does give me an idea for us.

Instead of being Pantheonist from the start, Eben will have been Bastard Born to a Demiurge woman. Raised among their kind and lands, the stigma upon his birth made him not be indoctrinated entirely into their faith (Baptized or Confirmed or whatever you call it), and there was always a level of ostracism due to his "heathen ancestry".

Eben would be your character's younger half-brother, coaxed by his mother to leave his home, for despite his attempts to ingratiate himself with the Demiurgists, they continuously harass himself and his "whore of a mother". He instead stays with her until she takes sick and eventually passes, leaving him with no ties but the name of his father's family.

He takes to the seas and learns more of his father's blood: the songs of Ragnarok, the poems of the bravery of Tyr, the cunning of Loki, the fortitude of Thor. Rather than turn him away, these Gothi eagerly tell and teach Eben of his Pantheonist roots as he sails the whale roads, paying his way with labor and shield where needed until he reaches "home". Though he struggles to rationalize his Demiurgist teachings with Pantheonist sagas of yore, he becomes a storyteller in his own right, blending tales of both together into a rather blasphemous cacophony of faith and heritage.

However, the Eldest Brother, already in competition with Fenris for their father's favor, learns of the return of the Bastard and turns him aside from seeing his father. As Eben presses for acceptance and admission, the Eldest conspires to have him killed to remove the threat to his succession in its entirety. Fenris learns of this and saves Eben's life, to which he indebts himself to Fenris. Now knowing that even his father's house is not safe for him, Eben instead takes his brother's offer to sail again, with both of them with their own reasons to take down their Father's Eldest: so that Fenris may lead the succession, and Eben may legitimize himself to his people through service.

What do you think?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases